What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

officials influences the results of games

Dirk Titan

Juniors
The modern game of leauge is won on momentum and repeat sets of six.To many times teams are given repeat sets of six due to incorrect penalties or calls from touch judges.Thus giving a team repeat sets of six and momentum often resulting in a try soon after.A situation like this can put the wind in one teams sail and taking it out the other, through no fault of the teams but by the powers adjudicating the game.

eg: Billy slatter last night was rulled to have knocked on by a touch judge who was not in a position to make such a ruling. So instead of Billy hypathetically scoring a try down the other end then going to the video ref to rule on the knock on. Penrith get the ball in an attacking position on the storms line and a try results thus causing momentum. What is the answer to fix these game changing situations?

Pantherjim.

Referee
Hypothetically???

Hypothetically I could have sh*t myself by following through when I farted earlier this morning. What is the answer to fix this laundry-abuse situation??

If you seriously think that Clarke altered the outcome of the game to the extent of 20 points last night, you're an absolute fool. Go back and watch the game and have a look at the possession and completion stats.

The Storm were beaten fair and square by a better team on the night!

Pantherjim.

Dirk Titan

Juniors
I am not saying they lost because of that one incident, but getiing walked 10 metres for talking back about bad calls, bad calls going the wrong way in the play of the ball areas, touch judges are costantly makeing the wrong decition at the wrong time that do have influences in games.
just as a big tackle from a team mate can lift a team and influence a team. Do we need 4 touch judges? Get video refs more involved? I don't know but I think we need more precice ruling so that the men playing the games are the only ones controling the outcomes of the games. A player making mistakes should be penalised but a ref making mistakes is giving an advantage to team that is not earnt.

ozbash

Referee
i go along with dirk on this,, we have highly skilled professional players adjudicated by amatuer morons.

the players are supposed to decide the outcome, not the refs.

we have the video system, why dont they use it ?

Pantherjim.

Referee
Fair enough.
But my boys were walked 10 metres early in the second half right back to their own try line for back chatting Clarke. We defended well and ensured the Storm didn't score. While this was the case, I still disagree with Ref's being able to do this. A simple "I've made my decision, Shut up or you can think about it in the bin for 10 mins" should suffice.

I'll tell you one thing that should change though; I think video ref's should be allowed to rule on forward passes. Especially when they result in a try.

Pantherjim.

Dirk Titan

Juniors
Can the video ref talk to the ref and make a call like the touch judge can. Maybe the video ref can watch a replay while playing the advantage and only stopping the play if a wrong call has been made, if it is the right decition that is being made I am sur that would be only be good for the integrity of the results. Because it's frustrating to watch when they get it wrong so imagine how frustrating it is to players.

ozbash

Referee
stopping the play if a wrong call has been made

you would think they had enough clues to think of that...

the 'human element' is fine if its fair and consistent.

shadow grinder

First Grade
i dont think Dirk Shark is saying the ref cost the storm the game...he cost us momentum...which may have led to more tires...but may have led to storm knocking on....he is asking what can the refs do to stop being so shit.

Dirk Titan

Juniors
What do people think of the double movement rule.I think the vidio ref should not veiw these in slow motion but in real time. To get a real feal if the tackle and momentum has stopped. Because it is hard to judge momentum in slow motion ang give a faulse representaion.

Fluffy

Juniors
When those stuff ups were made last night the game was a lot tighter and it could have easily gone the other way.

Penrith were awarded extra ball twice which led to tries and robbed of one try due to a double movement.

Basically you add that up and its 18 - 16 with 15 mins to go and a completely different match.

Thats the point.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Dirk Shark said:
What do people think of the double movement rule.I think the vidio ref should not veiw these in slow motion but in real time. To get a real feal if the tackle and momentum has stopped. Because it is hard to judge momentum in slow motion ang give a faulse representaion.

I think you're right. Slow motion would give a false impression of a double movement. In the case against Paul Franze last night I think the momentum of the tackle carried his arm involuntarily over the try line. By viewing the footage in real time you can more accurately judge if the arm movement was deliberate or involuntary.

Pantherjim.

*Paul*

Juniors
ozbash said:
we have highly skilled professional players adjudicated by amatuer morons.

The answer to these riddles is to go out a ref a game yourself. It isn't as easy as you'd like to think, all the replays and camera angles and time to analyse things aren't there.

I'm not au fait with the NRLs selection procedures, but I'm pretty sure they're not picking random blokes of the street, they're the best available.

Of course they make mistakes, sometimes howlers, but dropping them implies that there's someone champing at the bit who can do a better. But it's not quite that simple.

Big Mick

Referee
Fluffy said:
When those stuff ups were made last night the game was a lot tighter and it could have easily gone the other way.

Penrith were awarded extra ball twice which led to tries and robbed of one try due to a double movement.

Basically you add that up and its 18 - 16 with 15 mins to go and a completely different match.

Thats the point.

And Penrith came home very strong with 2 tries in the last 10 minutes.

point answered.

Big Mick

Referee
I agree.

Look Storm did get a rough end of the stick last night, but not enough to change the course of the game. Penrith's goal line defence was brilliant.

I think Ref's really need to take charge more and back themselves but why not have the video ref talking to him telling him decisions. They have started to limit this this season.

But then people would whinge about the Video Ref ruining games. End of the day, noone will ever be happy.

shadow grinder

First Grade
they are skilled professionals they get paid to do this....if a builder measures something wrong and builds a house and the house falls down..he will get the sack or get in huge shizzer....2 diffrent jobs and scenarios but still if the ref f**ks up he should be punished thats about 2-3 game clarke has had a shitter...give some time off

bomberman

Juniors

Thats the point.

And my point. Bad desicions by refs are denying teams OPPOTUNITIES to at least have a go at attacking. And thats the key. And my point regarding last nights game.

Panthers's won. They played great football. Deserved to win. But Storm deserved to have at least 2 chances if not more to attack but couldn't because the ref/touch judges got it wrong. And its was extremely obvious.

Big Mick

Referee
Dirk Shark said:
OT dosn't Franze look bigger this year. Wish the sharks could of kept him :cry:

you reckon?

I thought he lost weight. I saw him last year in premiers for sharks and he looked unfit and overweight.

He looks more solid and lost a bit of weight now i thought.

Latest posts