What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

oh my god

Kiwi

First Grade
They actually did some overtaking on the track in the formula 1 yesterday. This is very rare for this form of motor sport, overtaking on the track in formula 1 is like Minardi scoring points, it hardly ever happens. F1 drivers have no real ability when it comes to putting pressure on the guy in front, forcing mistakes and actually over taking more than once in a year. Most will go through this year without over taking another car for position on the track.

Kiwi

First Grade
I've watched almost every race this year, last year ect

If you honestly think there is alot of passing on the track for position in formula 1, you are probably watching indy cars.

Seriously almost all overtaking for position is done with pit stops in F1, it's a joke.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Kiwi said:
I've watched almost every race this year, last year ect

If you honestly think there is alot of passing on the track for position in formula 1, you are probably watching indy cars.

Seriously almost all overtaking for position is done with pit stops in F1, it's a joke.

Best race of the year so far..

Watching Kimi and alonso start down the pack and speed past all the other Drivers.. especially alonso passing shu around the outside that was incredible driving...

Congrats to webber though staying outof trouble and posting some good lap times to finish in forth spot

hrundi99

First Grade
Kiwi said:
F1 drivers have no real ability when it comes to putting pressure on the guy in front, forcing mistakes and actually over taking more than once in a year.

What a load of absolute tripe.

If you knew anything about F1 you'd understand the problems associated with grip (or lack thereof) that drivers following others have to contend with.

Some tracks and cars are more suited to increased passing based on their configuration.

Kiwi

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
What a load of absolute tripe.

If you knew anything about F1 you'd understand the problems associated with grip (or lack thereof) that drivers following others have to contend with.

Some tracks and cars are more suited to increased passing based on their configuration.

Yes I am aware of the grip factors ect. Yet they still keep designing tracks that do not allow many if any over taking chances. It's a joke, they could easily implement ideas to promote over taking, but they choose not to. In the old days of Senna, Prost ect, on the same or similar tracks, they didn't have a problem over taking on the track, thats when f1 was exciting, now it's just boring, tune in for the pits stops, it's when the only over taking seems to take place.

Kiwi

First Grade
Y2Eel said:
Best race of the year so far..

Watching Kimi and alonso start down the pack and speed past all the other Drivers.. especially alonso passing shu around the outside that was incredible driving...

Congrats to webber though staying outof trouble and posting some good lap times to finish in forth spot

Yes it was the best race of the year, and shock horror we had over taking on the track which is what made it great. Take note Bernie and fix it.

As for Webber, that guy couldn't win a race with a 1 lap head start, he'd find a way to f**k it.

Kiwi

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
Earth to douchebag, you're a douchebag.

Look I like Webber, I cheer for him every race, but I'm sick of seeing him under perform. How many times has he lost it when in a strong position? How many times has he qualified well only to be slow in the race or screw it up. I'd rather see him winning races, then maybe we would see more people from this part of the world in international motorsport.

MrSharky

Juniors
LOL Kiwi you're driving yourself straight into a wall...

Suggesting F1 is crap is treason.

Comparing it to V8 supercars (LOL "supercars") is a blasphemy...

I mean who is Michael Schumacher compared to the likes of Marcus Ambrose? :lol:

What are the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, BMW compared to Holden and Ford? - LMAO!

How can you compare the doldrums and lowness of F1 to the prestige and glamour of V8s? - LOL!

:roll:

icon6.gif

Kiwi

First Grade
MrSharky said:
LOL Kiwi you're driving yourself straight into a wall...

Suggesting F1 is crap is treason.

Comparing it to V8 supercars (LOL "supercars") is a blasphemy...

I mean who is Michael Schumacher compared to the likes of Marcus Ambrose? :lol:

What are the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, BMW compared to Holden and Ford? - LMAO!

How can you compare the doldrums and lowness of F1 to the prestige and glamour of V8s? - LOL!

:roll:

icon6.gif

What ever MrBosch

Are you denying that there needs to be something done to make F1 racing more interesting with alot more passing on the track? Or are you one of these people that are happy to watch the current follow the leader racing that is all to regular in F1?

morri (cWo)

First Grade
no overtaking and kimi came from 17th on the grid to win.

although f1 is a tactical game more often than not.

MrSharky

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Are you denying that there needs to be something done to make F1 racing more interesting with alot more passing on the track? Or are you one of these people that are happy to watch the current follow the leader racing that is all to regular in F1?

Yes the problem has been recognised and rule changes are in the wings...

No matter the situation... F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport - always has been, and always will be...

icon6.gif

Kiwi

First Grade
MrSharky said:
Yes the problem has been recognised and rule changes are in the wings...

No matter the situation... F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport - always has been, and always will be...

icon6.gif

I'm not debating where Formula 1 stands in terms of motor sport, I was pointing out the lack of on track passing.

Kiwi

First Grade
no.5_luke covell said:
no overtaking and kimi came from 17th on the grid to win.

although f1 is a tactical game more often than not.

It's a shame that Formula 1 has become more about tactics than the drivers ability.

As for Kimi's 17th on the grid to win. I bet alot of the overtaking of the faster cars was done with pit stops.

MrSharky

Juniors
Kiwi said:
I'm not debating where Formula 1 stands in terms of motor sport, I was pointing out the lack of on track passing.

OK then, I agree with your point. It's just that you worded your first post as if you were bashing F1...

Since 2003, F1 has had a problem with on-track passing... and this is for a number of reasons, including:

- Team dominance (2004: Ferrari, 2005: McLaren)
- Aero rule changes (the dirty-air theory)
- Over-reliance on Pit Strategy
- Engine preservation (since the introduction of the one engine per two race meetings rule)
- Tyre preservation (since the ban on tyre changes)

Although it's worth mentioning that this year has seen better on-track racing than 2004 did...

icon6.gif

Kiwi

First Grade
MrSharky said:
OK then, I agree with your point. It's just that you worded your first post as if you were bashing F1...

I was bashing F1, and will continue to do so till they fix it

MrSharky said:
Since 2003, F1 has had a problem with on-track passing... and this is for a number of reasons, including:

- Team dominance (2004: Ferrari, 2005: McLaren)

The lack of passing is right through the field, not just at the front. Just because one or two cars are driving off into the distance is not a good enough reason as to why no one else can over take other cars.

MrSharky said:
- Aero rule changes (the dirty-air theory)
The dirty air theory isn't new, guys like Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell, ect had to deal with it as well, more so back then as the cars didn't handle as well as they do now.

MrSharky said:
- Over-reliance on Pit Strategy

That is thanks to no on track over taking, they go hand in hand, you don't or can't over take on the track you have to do it somewhere.

MrSharky said:
- Engine preservation (since the introduction of the one engine per two race meetings rule)

That is only new, so it can't be blamed for something that has gotten worse as years go by. I think the main reason for that rule has been to try and promote over taking. Can't stay long in the dirty air ect so have to make a move or back off, unfortunately most of the time they take the easy option and back off when behind another car.

MrSharky said:
- Tyre preservation (since the ban on tyre changes)

Again only a new rule, doesn't explain why over taking was rare last year, or the year before that and so on.....

MrSharky said:
Although it's worth mentioning that this year has seen better on-track racing than 2004 did...

Yes it has, but thats mainly because there are different winners, we are not seeing Schumacher run away with it again, I think that has more to do with this year being better than last year, it's not the same driver and team winning all the time.

Over taking is so hard in F1 that in a race Schumacher had a car 1 - 1.5 seconds a lap faster than Alonso but couldn't over take him at all, never even looked like being able to do it for something like 12 laps. That is wrong, in any other motor sport that sort of pace difference can't be blocked for 12 laps.

morri (cWo)

First Grade
i am a big f1 fan.

the belguim gp always manages to bring out the best in the drivers.

i cant stand watching the monaco gp overtaking is near impossible for drivers.

it all really depends on the track.

on the chinese track i think its stupid to have two of the biggest corners as the 1st and 2nd corner. takes out attacking oppurtunity. but it does makes the drivers take some gutsy moves coming into the corner.

Kiwi

First Grade
no.5_luke covell said:
i am a big f1 fan.

the belguim gp always manages to bring out the best in the drivers.

i cant stand watching the monaco gp overtaking is near impossible for drivers.

it all really depends on the track.

on the chinese track i think its stupid to have two of the biggest corners as the 1st and 2nd corner. takes out attacking oppurtunity. but it does makes the drivers take some gutsy moves coming into the corner.

Alot of these are similar or the same tracks that drivers I mentioned and drivers of less note in the past have had not trouble over taking on. It wasn't easy back then, but it wasn't damn near impossible like it is now.

Garts

Bench
F1 is 80% car 20% driver ability, thats why I dont enjoy it as much as the Moto GP.

I know the Moto GP also depends on the equipment a rider has but not as much as F1.

Latest posts