What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh well...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Congrats Sharks. Too good across the park. Time to start barracking for the Warriors in the first grade for the rest of 2002.

As for the lower grades...
Carn the 2nds the Fleggs...I'm sure both will be there comeGFinal day:)

D

dubopov

Farrar should do the right thing and quit...Teams are supposed to be tougher in the semis..My MIGHTY SAINTS played 'tiggy' tonight..and the coach is supposed to pride himself on defence ???

El Duque

Bench
After 2 wins v Newcastle he was safe but it doesn't takelong for the axes to come out looking for his head after 1 loss to a good Sharks side.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I feel for the players...
UnfortunatelyI spent 40 minutes typing up a match report only to lose it in cyberspace... I had to type it all up again.. death by a thousand swords I'd say... something from Arab folk lore...

Apologies to Sharks supporters for the dry story... you deserved better.. it was afterall a great victory for the shire.

The Cronulla Sharks have halted St George Illawarra's semi final charge with a convincing 40-24 victory at Aussie Stadium tonight.
The victory however may have come at a cost with Matthew Johns being forced from the field with a shoulder injury and forward Jason Stevens being placed on report for a head high tackle.
With nothing to lose, both sides launched early attacking raids with the Sharks fullback, David Peachey scoring the 7th minute.
St George centre, Mark Gasnier scored five minutes later and in the 17th minute Jason Ryles scored next to the posts to give Saints a 12-6 lead.
With Sharks' five eighth, Matthew Johns being forced from the field with a shoulder injury, Saints looked to be gaining the ascendancy.
But Cronulla started to control possession and struck back with tries to Phil Bailey (21st min) and Paul Franze (37 min).
In the 39th minute, Sharks prop Jason Stevens was placed on report following a high shot on Dragons' back rower, Nathan Tutt.
At half time, the Sharks had the momentum and held a 18-12 lead.
After the break, the Sharks went further ahead when Matt Bickerstaff scored under the posts after a Brett Kimmorley break from 25 metres out.
More tries to Franze (53rd min) and Paul Mellor (59th min) put the score at 34-12 and with 20 minutes to go, the Dragons looked to be on the receiving end of a hiding.
But Saints gave their supporters a glimmer of hope in the 68th minute with a Trent Barrett inspired try to Lee Hookey which started on the Dragons' 20 metre line.
Five minutes later, Jason Ryles grubbered into the in-goal surprising everyone, including himself, to score just wide of the uprights.
With seven minutes remaining, Cronulla were in front 34-24.
But Sharks winger, Greg Bird snuffed out any faint hope of a Dragons revival when he scored in the 76th minute, Cronulla running out winners 40-24.
This match sees the end of the Dragons 2002 NRL campaign. The Sharks now progress to next weekend where they take on the New Zealand Warrors, the winner of that match earning a spot in the 2002 grand final.
7:30PM, Saturday, 21 September, 2002
Aussie Stadium (SFS)
Referee: W Harrigan
Crowd: 31, 783
<u>Scorers</u>
Dragons 24
Tries: Ryles 2, Gasnier, Hookey
Goals: Clarke 2/2, Riddell 2/2
Sharks 40
Tries: Franze 2, Peachey, P Bailey, Bickerstaff, Mellor, Bird
Goals: Kimmorley 6/7

L

legend

Congrats to the Sharks and commiserations to the Dragons. I was at the match and the atmosphere was bloody awesome so well done to both sides on providing some great football last night.

The Sharks were too good and their unheralded forwards certainly came of age and will give the Warriors a real run for their money next week. If the Warriors do not get up and in Kimmorely's face, he will run riot and he has a lot more semi finals experience than anyone in the Warriors side bar Kevin Campion. Don't get me wrong, if the Warriors made the GF it would be the biggest shot in the arm for the game in N.Z but they are going to have to play a near perfect game to beat the Sharks next week.

I thoughts Saints were certainties for this match as they had momentum on their side but a Chris Anderson coached side can never be underestimated. He knows how to get the absolute best out of all his players. SHould be a great game either way.

O

ozbash

well done sharks, too bad drags.
i was hoping the warriors would play the dragons and right the betting scandal wrong.
the sharks style of play will suit us tho, our forwards will roll their sleeves up, beattie will be gone in 10, that other god bothering thug wont be there anyway,and their part timers wont even look like it.

noddy who ???

P

pepe

due to the delayed telecast in melbourne my eyes could only hold out for the first 35 mins,i thought the sharks were their for the taking but obviously the saints were'nt good enough to feastonthe wounded shark.

realistically the saints had a shocker of a seasonbarring the two great wins overthe knights,to finish 6th actually flatters the saints,bad luck and enjoy mad monday.

pepe

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I have to agree with you Pepe.
Its been an ordinary year but I believe the two highlights were the the win over Newcastle in round 26 and the win over the Warriors (with a near reserve grade side) in NZ in round 15.
Apart from that, there hasn't been much to write home about.

To make the semis and get tantilising close to a being 'contenders' is just one of those tortuous experiences that modern Saints supporters have to endure.

How much of a coincidence was that? Within a space of 2 weeks both Johns boys are out injured in different games as a result oftangling with the same player, Bailey. There was nothing in either incident but geez it does make you wonder about karma.
emdgust.gif

imported_Kaon

Juniors
At least Bailey going around hurting players from other teams. Chris Leikvoll has a tendacy of doing it to his own players.

What the f**k is Barrett smoking!
Someone tell me how this tools comments in the below link are so.
Dragons showing was pathetic in that Cronulla game. Bloody awefull.They were never in the game. Infact if Hookey and Ryles hadn't have crossed over in the last 10minutes or so,the scoreline would have looked disgracefull for the Dragons. The way their performance was. Bloody awefull.I whish they hadn't of because 40-12 was a more accurate account of the difference between the two teams on the night. Or maybe I'm just pissed off because Integral cost me a four figure penalty at the TAB. Why didn't I listen to my bloody heart??? Bloody useless bunch of cheerleaders!!!
Anderson deserves plenty of praise. He has molded a bloody good outfit from a team that had its fair share of neville's at the seasons begining. Well done you former Bulldog boy!!!
Call em Scum or call emScumulla or call emwhatever you like. They made the Dragons look like scum the other night.
Thanks to a poster at WORL for pointingthearticle belowout.
Barrett proud Dragon
St George Illawarra captain Trent Barrett remained upbeat in the wake of the Dragons season ending loss to Cronulla tonight at Aussie Stadium.
NGImageRender.asp
Barrett believes his side has triumphed in the last three weeks after looking unlikely to make it to the NRL finals a month ago. “We’re in a lot better off situation than we would have been three weeks ago,” said Barrett post match. “I’m certainly glad to be here tonight, than to be having this press conference three weeks ago. “We’ve got a lot of blokes leaving the club – the dressing shed was a bit emotional. “We finished off the year really well.” Barrett was quick to pay tribute to Cronulla – who dominated the match after dropping behind 12-6 midway through the first half. “We made a bit of a run at them, but it was a bit too late,” continued Barrett, who will retain his five eighth jersey for the Kangaroos one off test against New Zealand on October 12. “They (the Sharks) played really well. They kept coming and coming, and you just can’t stop Noddy (Brett Kimmorley) when they roll forward like that. “They are going to be hard to beat in the finals”

Raging Bulldog

Ryback

Juniors
Strong comments mate but you speak the truth.
Barrett is out of his mind with that remark in bold.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Its just a media article. Get a hold of yourself... or maybe thats what you're already doing.

"Anderson deserves plenty of praise. He has molded [sic]a bloody good outfit from a team that had its fair share of neville's at the seasons begining. Well done you former Bulldog boy!!!"
Ando is a hypocrite... a number of Bulldog supporters disowned him long ago.

"What the f**k is Barrett smoking!"

From the article: "Barrett was quick to pay tribute to Cronulla... “They are going to be hard to beat in the finals”"
This comment and other commentswere simplythe right thing for the captain to say. I can't see what the drama is here.

Although I can't argue with anyone who says that Saints were ordinary last night. I take little comfort in knowing that Saints manged to make the semis.. even if it is better than what other supporters can claim.

Anyway, thats life.
Butwhile I'm thinking of it... Go Warriors... :)

saints defense was shocking. That was what stood out for me (apart from the fights...see other thread hehe).

Gasnier and Clarke, im pretty sure they were 2 of the major culprits. But honestly, they were b grade tries some of them, not the sort of thing you expect to see in a finals match. That said, NZ will murder sharks next week.

NZ v Roosters Grand Final

Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"saints defense was shocking."
I agree but there were some soft tries both sides. But more than that, they were disorganised in attack. Very disappointing.... a day later and I still fell let down by it all.

L

legend

I think the Dragons struggled with Kimmorley's passing game and their inability to get up in his face and cut down his time with the ball is what cost thembut he ran wild with some great passes and kicks that continually turned the Dragons back three on their heels,often getting caught in their own in goal.

Kimmorley also had great support from Bailey and Bickerstaff, two relative unknowns in rugby league and they ran with great power and determination and will prove to be quite a handful for the Warriors next week who showed they are vulnerable in the three quarters and sluggish to turn and chase as was evident in their loss to the Roosters just under a month ago. The Sharks have Rieck who is exceptionally quick and the Warriors will struggle to foot in with him if he fets into the clear.

Moffo, still convinced the Roosters will make the GF after today's effort?:(

yeh mate, i think so. A bit scrappy in the first 1/2, but it was obvious they underestimated the knights. I think they will fire up against the broncos, and now they have the defense to boot. They have the wood over the broncos as well. I want to dredge up that thread from6 months ago, where i said that the roosters were good value at 10/1! I will find it!

Besides, who would want to see brisbane in a gf again?? no thanks!

Moffo

El Duque

Bench
What Barrett has said there pale's in signifigance to the shit that has been emanating from Willie Mason's mouth over the last month.That guy needs to be gagged.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I didnt want to bring it up, El... but seeing you mentioned it... there's been a veritable flotilla of garbage flowing out the mouths of some high profile players and officials in recent times. It allmakes Barrett's comment look very forgettable indeed.

“We finished off the year really well.”
Hardly something I can agree with but I guess he is referring to the team making it this far. Quite frankly, Saints still underachieved.But having said that,its a weird comment to get in a flap about....

Latest posts