What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old news............the merger.

buda

Juniors
wen i went off league for a while was wen the tigers merged with the magpies wat was the deal with that y did the merge :?:

~FiTzYdUdE 02~

Juniors
the only rewason ANY team merges is if they are too financially unstable to continue as a stand alone club. so obviously, the maggies and balmain merged because they would be financially stronger together, and now they are a very financially stable club

King Tigerman

Juniors
they merged because we wwere broke & we had to stop being forced into mergers that we didnt want to have anything invovled with

Mighty Tiger

Bench
The main reason that we picked the magpies to merge with was that Balmain thought it would remain a 50/50 JV and also it kept one of the old traditional clubs allive at the same time.

We could have merged with other clubs like Parramatta however I garuntee you know that not just the Magpies wouldn't be around in the NRL but no part of the Balmain Tigers would be around either.

Just think yourseleves lucky that at least some part of your club is being represented, sure its with another club - but hey its better than nothing at all (although Tigger will disagree)

izzo

Juniors
If I was Balmain I would have gone to Parramatta you would have been better off and West should have merged with the Bulldogs as The Bulldogs were aiming to take over the Liverpool and West Area eventualy.

Cheers

hybrid_tiger

Coach
izzo said:
If I was Balmain I would have gone to Parramatta you would have been better off and West should have merged with the Bulldogs as The Bulldogs were aiming to take over the Liverpool and West Area eventualy.

Cheers

Ahh yes. You mean be taken over by Parramatta and the Bulldogs??

No thanks...

B_Tiger

Juniors
I agree that Parra would have been the ideal partner. however, no more games at leichhardt would have been a pretty large sacrifice. I don't think there would be any recognition of Balmain's past and all in all i reckon it would feel a lot like parra, only changed by a new logo and a few new colours.

izzo said:

Cheers

You're kidding.

As a Wests supporter I would have preferred a merger with Manly than bloody Canterbury.

If we had merged with Canterbury, Wests would have disappeared altogether. The Dogs were only in it for the Wests Juniors.

Think St. George/Illawarra for the outcome of either a Parramatta/Balmain merger or a Canterbury/Wests merger.

I don't think it's perfect but the current merger is a lot better than the alternatives were at the time.

Latest posts