What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old school

***MH*** said:
CC_Eagle said:
my eagle eye said:
Manly were never known as the Seagulls in an official sense.

True. There was a bit of a debate recently on www.oneeyedeagle.com about it. Manly Warringah were never known as "The Seagulls".

How the Sea Eagle hatched said:
(Source: Big League)FIFTY years ago, the official emblem of the Manly-Warringah rugby league club provoked argument in the district. A journalist of the 1950s, Jim Mather, tagged the Seagulls, but long-serving adminstrator Jack Martin insisted that the sea eagle, a native bird along the Sydney coastline, was always the club's official emblem.
interesting to say the least....
here's an excert from "The Bulldog Story" when explaining the history of the Bulldog emblem, comparing to Manly's change....

The Bulldog Story said:
'Berries' ran off the tounge easily and it was a recognisable catchcry at matches. By the end of 1977, however, the modern game, with its ripe marketing opportunities for licensed characters and merchandising virtually insisted on a link with an animal.
The Bulldog seemed the perfect solution. Like Manly in the late 1960s when they changed their emblem from the sea gull to the more aggressive sea eagle, the switch was to coincide with premiership victories for both clubs.

Can anyone confirm if Manly were officially called the Seagulls???

I have always believed and everything I have read suggests manly were NEVER known as the Seagulls.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The Parrramatta Eels originally had no mascot, then they have the logo of an Aboriginal fisherman (Parramatta Council Emblem). Then some bright spark came across the meaning of the word Parramatta and it was adopted.

ParraDaze said:
The Parrramatta Eels originally had no mascot, then they have the logo of an Aboriginal fisherman (Parramatta Council Emblem). Then some bright spark came across the meaning of the word Parramatta and it was adopted.

That bright spark happened to be the late Peter Frilingos.