What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One last thought on Joel....

thickos

First Grade
Raiderspower I echo your sentiments but don't drag Mick Monas into this. He was forced out and made to look elsewhere, where as we tried to throw everything at Joel.

Both losses will come back and bite us on the arse, sadly. :(

reptar

Juniors
Montz and I congratulated Mick on his season with the Sea Eagles, and also being made captain, and I think he deserves all the accolades he's been given this season. I just wish he could've played like that for us! *sigh*

Kris_man

Bench
i don't wish him all the best at all, i don't give a crap about him, for the simple reasin that he's not a raider anymore. i retained a soft spot for jamaal, i dont know why, but joel? nup, dont care.

edabomb

First Grade
kris_man said:
i don't wish him all the best at all, i don't give a crap about him, for the simple reasin that he's not a raider anymore. i retained a soft spot for jamaal, i dont know why, but joel? nup, dont care.

Maybe because Jamaal got a far better offer from the Bulldogs than he did here, and had a young family to take care of. Joel left for similar or less money.

Kris_man

Bench
edabomb said:
Maybe because Jamaal got a far better offer from the Bulldogs than he did here, and had a young family to take care of. Joel left for similar or less money.
that whole "look after my family" thing is just an excuse to act out of self-interest, and a good excuse at that, because just about everyone falls for it. here's my reasons for thinking it's baloney:
1.Any first-grade salary could easily provide for a family, there's no need to earn hundreds of thousands.
2.They would have taken the larger offer even if they didn't have a family. This is shown by all the players without families who accept the larger offers.

It used to annoy me how easy it seemed to be to lure and essentially control players with money, but now i view it with a calm acceptance: all people love money, therefore people who have money have power (and by "power" i mean the ability to control people). self-interest always wins out, in one way or another. it still annoys me how the players try to lie about it - "i didn't do it for the money, i did it for my family", or, "i didn't do it for the money, i did it for my career". one of my favourite lines from a footy player is this (from 1997 when Mundine was playing for the Broncos):
Interviewer:Anthony, which club will you be playing for next season?
Mundine: Whoever offers me the most money, to be honest.

I love that, its refreshing to hear someone be so frank.

Anonymous

Juniors
Any first-grade salary could easily provide for a family, there's no need to earn hundreds of thousands.

Is your average first graders career as long as your average bank tellers? No. That's why they need hundreds of thousands, for life after football.

Kris_man

Bench
Timbo said:
Is your average first graders career as long as your average bank tellers? No. That's why they need hundreds of thousands, for life after football.
why? so they can retire at age 30 with mountains of dough in the bank? they would easily be able to support their family by getting a job, so supporting the family is clearly not the issue. the issue is, that they want to stop working and start living the king's life from age 30, therefore making it a matter of self-interest, not family duty...

edabomb

First Grade
Jamaal had 3 kids. He was an extremely loyal player in his time here, I don't think he would of minded taking a paycut of 10-20k if it meant staying here. But when you are looking at raising 3 children at prices these days he made the right choice. Hes a legend that man!!!

thickos

First Grade
Jamaal had his first kid at 16 I believe.

I agree with Timbo, these guys have a limited career and half of them invest their money poorly. They put their body on the line for 10 yrs tops and need to maximise their earning power during that time.

This is why loyalty is so valued by us fans, the notion of club before $$$ holds sway with us as we are not paid to support the team.

SOULS 04

Juniors
reason i dont hold anything against lolesi and i do on monas is caus monas lied hard... saying that he was gonna stay in canberra forever and then just signing when for so long he was saying there was no chance he was going anywhere

off you go clown hopefully you get smashed all of next year in premier league

Raider_69

Post Whore
J-Lo never lied to the fans. He never said that he was going to be here, he mearly said he has gotta look after his family, not only that but when he did sign with the bulldogs he still put in the effort here, that all i ask of players, Jamaal is a champ, and i hope when his contract at the dogs runs out he will consider coming back to us... he was vast becoming one of my favs :clap:

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
J-Lo never lied to the fans. He never said that he was going to be here, he mearly said he has gotta look after his family, not only that but when he did sign with the bulldogs he still put in the effort here, that all i ask of players, Jamaal is a champ, and i hope when his contract at the dogs runs out he will consider coming back to us... he was vast becoming one of my favs :clap:

Ditto ... we LET him go at a time when he was finally showing true potential ... in his last season for us he was as safe under the bomb as schif ... another that got away parra style .. dont blame Jamal for his departure from the club.

Latest posts