What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One thing I can never workout

We all like to support the underdog, unless of course your team is playing against them.

But I can never understand why we (note this includes myself), seem to take great pleasure in putting the boot in to the team we consider as being the "favorites". Call it aging but I have made some efforts in gaining a wider view. Not sure how successful it is, only time will tell.

Fittlers treatment from fans at the Footy Show was disgraceful. Look through the Roosters shirt an you will see the same player who has led both NSW & the Kanagaroos to victory. Shallow, very shallow.

Some seem to take it as an opporunity to gain vengance over previous posts gloating over recent successes. Why can't someone gloat, for lack of a better term, over the success of their team. I'm sure we have all done this at one point or another.

I'll be specific here.

Why can't the Roosters supporters take pride in their clubs recent success? The Roosters were a strong club in the 70's. The 80's saw them as a club that pillaged talent from other teams. A valid point but looking into it's most basic intent, it was to try and win the premiership at other clubs expense. Was it wrong from a business sense, No. Was it wrong from Leagues "Moral" views, Yes. We went through, what I felt was a shameful decade with minimal success. Like others I soldiered on, taking solace in the fact that I could attend home games with seemingly unlimited options for seating and minimal queues for refreshments.

The 90's saw drastic changes in the club which virtually re-wrote its mantra. Sure they still bought players but a great majority of these were to be developed "in-house". I know others will disgaree, all you need to do is look into it deeper without bias and you will see what I mean. They signed Fittler & Gould, the catalyst of what was to come next. Let's face it, Freddy Fittlers don't grow on trees. Basic elements of a competitive team was analysied, requirements were drawn up and it's plan executed.

What we, as Roosters supporters are witnessing in the new millenium is the fruits of a decade worth of work. So why can't we enjoy our emrgence from mediocracy.

Why can't the Roosters gain credit for players like Minichiello, Byrne, Hegarty, Crocker, Wing, etc... Do we only recognize clubs for developing "Home Grown" talent? What is the definition of home grown talent? What is the difference between Roosters and signing Fittler and Penrith signing Girdler? Would someone like Craig Wing rise to become a representative player had he stayed with Souths, I think not.

Initially I though that it may be narrowed down to fans whose club are experiencing the same decline we had in the 80's. It may the case for some but not all as it would seem that there are supporters out there that have never tasted success but is critical of what the Roosters have achieved.

That's my Rant for the week. I now open the forum to you and wait with baited breath for shots to come from all directions. Go for it!

EdBurton

Juniors
I don't and wont lay the boot in to any Roosters supporters. They had a great year.
I go for Souths for gods sake, what can I say?
However I think that alot of this comes from the fact that there hasn't been much to 'put the boot in' for your club this year. The biggest loss that the Roosters had all season was only 10 points and it was with their Origin players out.
So when alot of Roosters supporters aren't exactly being humble about their wins and a re gloating about how great their team is, there isn't much to come back with, because they're a great football side. So then Salary cap rumours start etc.
The reason that Roosters fans are copping it so hard at the moment, is because it's been building up for a year, and other supporters finally have the chance to really 'lay the boot in'.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that the same thing happened to GOwer on the footy show, all be it, not quite as loud as what happened to Fittler.

antonius

Coach
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Fittlers treatment from fans at the Footy Show was disgraceful. Look through the Roosters shirt an you will see the same player who has led both NSW & the Kanagaroos to victory. Shallow, very shallow.
I'm far from being a Roosters fan, but I was Embarrassed for Fittler watching that on the footy show the other night. Mind you some of the stuff on the footy show tends to attract that type of Moronic person.

Once Dead

Bench
antonius said:
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
I'm far from being a Roosters fan, but I was Embarrassed for Fittler watching that on the footy show the other night. Mind you some of the stuff on the footy show tends to attract that type of Moronic person.

Exactly....plus, it was a huge crowd compared to normal live tv audiences....therefore you can't control them because you cant see who made the stupid comment or who is being a lout......with a tv audience you can....its an organisational prob

Catatonic it's called jealousy mate. The fact that they are attacking us makes me happy and they'll have even more reason to hate us next year when we win the comp! :D

antonius

Coach
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Catatonic it's called jealousy mate. The fact that they are attacking us makes me happy and they'll have even more reason to hate us next year when we win the comp! :D
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Your like a broken record Clagburn.

antonius said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:

You seem to be hanging off my every word, I'm touched! :lol:

Rooster Cogburn. said:
Happiness come in different forms. I'm yet to figure out yours. But hey, don't let me spoil your fun.

antonius

Coach
Rooster Cogburn. said:
antonius said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:

Your touched alright. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Haven't seen much of you in the Knights forum Clag!!! what's wrong? Don't want to come in there and give us the benifit of your vast Knowledge on weather conditions, how the best team lost, how you were let down with your crappy kicking game, all the other excuses you've been coming up with everywhere else. I noticed you haven't you had time to reply to your one man team stuff in that other laughable thread of yours on here either. When it comes to debatable points your found wanting aren't you? Stick to what you know best Clag, that's trashing everything that isn't Goosters. There are some good Rooster supporters on these forums, clowns like you are an embarrassment to them.

antonius said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
antonius said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:

Your touched alright. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Haven't seen much of you in the Knights forum Clag!!! what's wrong? Don't want to come in there and give us the benifit of your vast Knowledge on weather conditions, how the best team lost, how you were let down with your crappy kicking game, all the other excuses you've been coming up with everywhere else. I noticed you haven't you had time to reply to your one man team stuff in that other laughable thread of yours on here either. When it comes to debatable points your found wanting aren't you? Stick to what you know best Clag, that's trashing everything that isn't Goosters. There are some good Rooster supporters on these forums, clowns like you are an embarrassment to them.

Keep swallowing those bitter pills sucker. :lol:

antonius

Coach
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Keep swallowing those bitter pills sucker. :lol:
HaHaHa.... Sharing them around are you? I'll get back to you when you have something useful to contribute. :doubt:

socksie

Juniors
Catatonic_Omnivore said:

here here. rugby league and any sport in australia is largely about the attitude. i'll admit i am not a huge roosters fan but for any sportsman who has made it to first grade (let alone nsw and aus) i congratulate him. sure we might go for another team but the sport shouldnt be spoiled by those people who boo and jeer.

the QLDers did it to joey in the last SoO game and we here in sydney love to do it to gordie, but i think it's taking away from the spirit of the sport. we should all get over it and just watch a great rugby comp.

Priddo

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:

[sarcasm]i sure am jealous of having the trophy with my team..... i widh u had it so we could be happy[/sarcasm]

by the way did u ever come back to panthers.com.au.......

don;t think u did................after all ur cock loving.

when u like cock over pussies u have a problem mate.

In-goal

Bench
Brad Fittler sgould always be introduced as
former test and nsw captain Brad Fittler, not captain of the Roosters IMO. Why would people want to geer one of the greats?

Chook

First Grade
Yeah well said Catatonic, I agree with you wholeheartedly mate! I wouldn't worry too much about the armchair heroes laying the boot in, they're the same ones that would lay the boot in regardless who was successful.

I'm enjoying the success of my club and team. The fact that we were a force this and we'll be a force next year means I'm anticipating next season already.

The standard of Rugby League being played is much improved, crowds are up, we're FINALLY getting some live Rugby League with the test and tour matches. Sponsorship is up, TV ratings up, Rugby League is on the way back baby and this league fan couldn't be happier.

Chook.

I agree with Cogburn -- most of it is jealousy and envy.

It's the Australian way to knock the champian

I also thought Fittler's treatment on the Footy Show was disgraceful; but I suppose you also have to take into account the mentality of the average Footy Show audience member.

In-goal

Bench
Well maybe they should acctualy start looking into talking about the Great game of Rugby League on the Footy Show.

Briza

Juniors
This whole "buying a premiership" thing reall farkn craps me - who here can name a team in any sport that does not buy players on a yearly basis?????. - even sth's who supposedly have the best juniour league in Australia - LMAO buy half a doz or so players each year.
So realistically how can a club survive if it doesnt buy players from different clubs ???.
It's time people woke to the times every club does it!!.