What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening Ceremony Disgrace

saintrommel

Juniors
Why have an opening ceremony after 2 games have already been played:crazy:
Disrespectful to all the other nations as this is the WORLD CUP.
And to show only clips of just Australia scoring tries is crap?
It's not the Australia Cup but the WORLD CUP?

The only sport in the world that would have an opening ceremony after 2 games have already been played is RUGBY LEAGUE.

Once again the powers that be involved in international RL have shown the world how NOT to promote the game internationally!

elbusto

Coach
Why have an opening ceremony after 2 games have already been played:crazy:
Disrespectful to all the other nations as this is the WORLD CUP.
And to show only clips of just Australia scoring tries is crap?
It's not the Australia Cup but the WORLD CUP?

The only sport in the world that would have an opening ceremony after 2 games have already been played is RUGBY LEAGUE.

Once again the powers that be involved in international RL have shown the world how NOT to promote the game internationally!
Its not uncommon to have a game before the Opening Ceremony. The Olympics do it as well. I thought the Ceremony was good and mercifully quick.

I thought the ceremony was a disgrace. It was basically an ad for that Australia movie, the aboriginal dance thing was ok, and Natalie Bassingthwaite struggled too!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
As long as they paid us a heap of cash who cares, afterall this WC is set up to make as much money as possible to kick start development in the international game.

eelandia

Juniors
The promotion for the movie Australia had no place in the ceremony. I cringed when that was on.

brendothejet

First Grade
There are always Olympic events before the opening ceremony...big deal.

I thought the opening ceremony wasnt too bad. The aboriginal dance was pretty cool and the rainbow serpent was cool.

I hate natalie basinghtwaitewhatever and i thought she sung okay. There wer some nice montages of the countries over the big screen.

Would have like to have seen representatives from all the nations who have competed buy hey...what can you do.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I thought the ceremony was a disgrace. It was basically an ad for that Australia movie, !

spot on. i undertsand advertisers put money into the game but the whole thing was a commercial as was the half time thing with those movie maxcots. even the ground annoucner said sevral times 'we're going to a commercial break'.

i played my psp throught he opening cermony and the crap abnds they had. Should've had the crap bands on first then the ceremony, then the indigenous vs maori game

I went along with low expectations and because of this I was reasonably impressed although it would have been good to include the cultures of the other 9 countries, e.g. some morris dancers for England :)

expansionist

Juniors
Well it was typical Rugby League...

A sham of an advertisement for a film pretending to be an opening ceremony... a complete disregard for any other country involved in the world cup....

Oh and I do agree - the one constant in this world cup so far is fairly poor anthem playing

hrundi99

First Grade
It's standard practice for the host country to rattle their sabres about themselves so I didn't have a problem with that. I did have a problem with the extended movie trailer as content theme. Having worked in sports marketing, I GET it, but I thought it was tacky.

I thought the anthems were very good. They sounded good at the ground.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sometimes people go out their way to get offended.

Australia is the host nation of an international sporting event. Its normal to see the host nation promote itself at the Olympics opening ceremony, so exactly why is it a disgrace?

St. Brett

Juniors
I think channel 9's whole contempt for the world cup is a disgrace.

Again, they've shown how shallow they are by holding back all Kangaroos games on delay while all the minnow games are left to Fox sport live.

I tried my best to watch England PNG on Saturday night but a 9:30pm kickoff - delayed with anthems - my eyes were hanging out their head by half time.

We have Ireland and Tonga tonight why does channel 9 want nothing to do with this game?
How is channel 9 promoting tonight's game?

Why does channel 9 segregate our game into divisions and only go for big heavy weight games? How are they promoting the little teams? Or don't they care.

I don't know about you....but there's no feel to this nonsense.
Nobody can beat Australia anyway.
Who are they kidding? Why bother fooling yourself. There's too much talent in that team and we'll go un-challenged.

Why don't they get the best players from every other country and pit that against us?
This event should have been hosted in England anyway.
There's too much advantage for us down here.

But footy around Halloweén this time of year - it doesn't feel right or sit right with me.
Has no feel.

I didn't watch last nights game as it was the same old Qiwi team fooling themselves.
All eager pre-match talking it up but fail to backup any claim when push comes to shove.
Benji Marshall trying to lead the harka! See his head!
I listened to it on ABC and went to bed.

Keep an eye on this Graham guy for England. The red head bloke. He only knows one way. He looks like Ben Hannant. Good player. Gaining 20 yards on every hit-up. See him red in the face from the north QLD heat though.
Good player.

Last edited:

Latest posts