What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening Ceremony Disgrace

Kiki

First Grade
nothing will ever be worse than people banging on BBQs to Noiseworks though. oh man.

Vossy

Bench
i think i said it in another thread but the stuff going on outside the stadium was way better. they had awesome pacific islander dancers and singers and had irish drummers...it was amazing. why the hell didnt they do that sorta stuff for the 'ceremony' instead of crappy bands?? SHIHAD? REALLY? oh league, why must u always dissapoint me.

i think the bands were there just to waste time and amuse us with there lack of talent..should have just got the living end to play a few songs in return for a coporate box + beer + footy..

Kiki

First Grade
the little rap group were actually quite good but they were shown a total lack of respect by not even giving them a stage to perform on.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
nothing will ever be worse than people banging on BBQs to Noiseworks though. oh man.

in terms of 'entertainment' which actually went ahead (i.e. didnt stuff up) that was deadset awful

disagree about the rappers, they were terrible too. prob didnt help that a) i hate rap and b) the sound wasnt done right so their high pitched voices were sqawking throughout the stadium.

Kiki

First Grade
well i mean they werent GREAT but at least it was something vaguely original u know??

brendothejet

First Grade
Kiki i disagree. All the stuff outside was great and to have brought it inside would have removed the real carnival atmosphere that was generated around the whole place.

There were people all about the city during the afternoon, there was fans of different teams there, plenty of attractions outside the ground, a lot of noise and colour. there was a brilliant warm up match and for the opening ceremony a story performed by australia's indigenous people, the delivering of the cup, the world cup theme song, the Haka and the national anthems.

It was far more entertaining than any semi final or origin ive been to. It was about a million times more an event than any international ive been to in australia (manchester wins that one with the military display! BOOM!)

so there was an ad for the movie australia. who cares? it went for a minute...tops. if Channel 7 need to stick in ads every 4 minutes to make the Olympic Opening Ceremony financially viable is it really such a crime?

Special K

Coach
I'm not against the aboriginal inclusion in the ceremony(I actually enjoyed it) but there are white people in this country who have made contributions towards rugby league The whole thing just seemed like a wank fest you had to sit through at primary school...

roopy

Referee
All opening ceremonies are crap, and i think their idea of putting on a bloody entertaining exhibition game and keep the bullsh*t to a few paid cross promotional moments was all good.
We could have had that mob from the Melbourne commonwealth games dress some gay looking dancers in RL gear and had them mince about for a while.

One thing i noticed - when the two aboriginal guys were making fire obviously one thought it was ready and the other didn't, and the guy ready to go had to snatch it out of the hands of the other guy - it could have been a true RL standard f**kup if he was wrong, or if the other guy had won and they kept going for another couple of minutes, because it got a bit tedious.

Latest posts