What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on Michael Monaghan

Mzilikazi

Juniors
So what did you Canberra Raider fans think of Monaghan when he was with you?

Were you sorry to see him go at all?

Very.

He was cast aside for Brad Drew, which is one of the worst decisions in this club's history. Monaghan owned Drew in every possible way, and many of us were sad to see Monas go.

I can't believe the way Manly are treating Monas. He, along with Kennedy, are the two main reasons for your revival this year. Ever since he's been captain, Monas has been on fire, albeit apart from the odd bad game here or there. If Monas gets dumped, it'll be a f***ing disgrace and it's another reason for me to hate Manly even more.

raider_ktj

Juniors
Everyone owned Drew, my dog could play better then Drew. But yes, I agree with I_Bleed_Green, Manly are f**** for how they are treating one of their best. I hope that next year they choke... and that they choke big time.

Mzilikazi

Juniors
Drew was a reasonable hooker coming off the bench. No half back though.

What's this about Monaghan having ADD?

Mzilikazi said:
I think he's completely overrated BTW. PL standard player - as he was with Canberra.

You're freaking kidding me.

I don't wanna turn this into a flame-fest, but at the start of the year when Manly were on top of the comp, every Manly fan was saying how good Monas is and how well he's playing and he should be considered for Country origin and blah blah blah.

Now when the rest of your team plays with no heart and you absolutely suck for the second half of the year, you change your minds and blame one man?

Rightio.

Mzilikazi

Juniors
I didn't rate him at the start of the year. He was diabolical last year.

Early this year our forward pack played with desparation and Monaghan benefitted. Once teams worked us out and our go-forward stopped, Monaghan was shown up - Captain Calamity.

Would you guys have him back? I'm sure a deal could be arranged.

(I won't even start on the disloyalty he showed to his club this year, though I'm told the Monaghan family have only ever been loyal to themselves.)

Mzilikazi said:
Early this year our forward pack played with desparation and Monaghan benefitted. Once teams worked us out and our go-forward stopped, Monaghan was shown up - Captain Calamity.

Exactly. The forward pack went soft, so you blame him? That makes no sense.

I wouldn't have him back, no. Mainly because we have a three promising halves coming through the ranks that in a few years time will be well entrenched as stars. He wouldn't come back after the way he was treated here anyway, and I wouldn't blame him.

What do you mean about the disloyalty he's shown Manly? The only stories I've seen is where he's said he wants to stay with Manly but the rumours keep coming up that Manly want him out.

thickos

First Grade
Hmm.... best not talk about the Monaghan family in this forum :lol:

Michael Monaghan is an ok halfback. Nothing more, nothing less. Sure, he would have been handy for us to have here this year with our injuries, and he is a better 7 than Drew, but his kicking game leaves a lot to be desired and he doesn't stamp himself on games like the great halves do.

Matt Orford is a better halfback than Monas so you've made a good purchase there but I still think your new buy goes missing at the key moments too.

The best thing Monas brings to the table is heart, commitment and passion, but he lacks that certain 'X' factor that the great halves have.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i on the other do want to start flame war, so here she goes:

pull ya f**kin head in mate, Monnas was the only thing standing between manly and spoonsville last year and this year recieved only help from BK in that department, he has carried your club through one of the sh*ttest period of its history (i speak of manly not the NE debarcle), and now your fans and club turn him, he has shown loyalty to your mob and this is how you and yours repay him?

Its not enough our club put him through sh*te, (against fans wishes) but now he is copping it from management and fans alike from Manly? HA! He is far too good and loyal for your cheque book club and i hope he goes somewhere where the fans will appreciate him.

How funny, last year Monnas was untouchable in manly, this year they improve again manly due to Monnas and they call for his head. Hang your collective heads in shame manly... Mzilikazi, upper cut time

aussies1st

Staff member
I'm sure Souths would welcome him with open arms and treat him better than his previous 2 clubs have. I can't see Souths wanting to biff Monnas if he plays like he has been over the past 2 years.

Mzilikazi

Juniors
I too hope he goes to a club that wants him.

(How exactly did he save us from the spoon last year when he missed half the season with a sore pinkie?)

Chachi

Bench
He's a confidence player that tends to go missing now and again and takes too many poor options for my liking. Having said

that, on his day he can win you a game. With Orford at 7, he'll be a damn sight better playing at 5/8 than the musical chairs selection policy Manly had for their no 6 jumper this year.

The way Manly treated him this year was disgraceful and I'm positive it contributed to their poor finish. I've got a sneaking suspicion they're trying to offload him before they get busted for breaching the salary cap with Orford and Bell coming in next year.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mzilikazi said:
I too hope he goes to a club that wants him.

(How exactly did he save us from the spoon last year when he missed half the season with a sore pinkie?)

Tell me what happened to Manly from week 1 into Monnas captancy?
tell me win - loss record?

or dont cause i already know that he saved your bacon BIG time
hang your head in shame

edabomb

First Grade
Hes average atm, but he looked great through the first stage of his career. In hindsight he would of only been a quick fix in the half role at the Raiders, not the type of player to lead you deep into the playoffs.

Latest posts