What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orford hottest player in NRL

Pazza

First Grade
MELBOURNE halfback Matt Orford has become the hottest property on rugby league's open market with six clubs competing for the City star's signature.

Despite the overwhelming attention, Orford last night conceded he will be no closer to making a decision until his management meet with the Storm on Wednesday.

Orford, 26, was given permission to negotiate with other clubs last month after having his initial asking price rejected by the Storm.

Since then he has had approaches from Parramatta, North Queensland, Souths, New Zealand, Canberra and one other club with the Storm playmaker indicating he will take his time making a decision.

Parramatta appear to have the inside running, meaning the Storm, or anyone else, will have to come up with a minimum of $400,000 to get Orford's ear.

Key concerns for Orford include what forwards will be listed on the Melbourne playing roster next season and whether they will be able to match other significant offers.

"I'm happy at Melbourne but it's an important time for me as this will probably be the second last contract I sign in my career," Orford said.

"I'm leaning no particular way at the moment but I'll do what's right for myself and my football and the future. I'm still up in the air."

Storm coach Craig Bellamy rates the retention of Orford as the club's top priority ahead of recruiting some strike forwards to replace outgoing prop Rodney Howe.

Bench player Danny Williams is also expected to depart Melbourne at the end of this season with experienced prop Robbie Kearns tipped to retire at the end of 2005. "We're hopeful of having Matt remain with us for the long-term. He is a terrific player, but the decision is really up to him now," Bellamy said.

St George Illawarra yesterday announced the retention of rising forwards Dean Young and Ashton Simms until the end of 2006.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said he was also confident of re-signing NSW Origin fullback Ben Hornby and rookie prop Justin Poore in the coming weeks before the trade period opens after June 30.

St George Illawarra are also advanced in talks with promising halfback Matthew Head while forwards Mark Riddell and Brent Kite have been granted permission to negotiate with other clubs ahead of June 30.

Melbourne have already expressed an interest in NSW Origin forward Kite, with New Zealand expected to formally table offers to both players next week.

Former Parramatta centre

Jamie Lyon has finally been granted permission by the Eels to play for the Wee Waa Panthers.

Lyon will play for the Panthers against defending Group 4 premiers Coonabarabran tomorrow.

But Lyon will not be permitted to play for any other NRL club until after 2006 when his current contract with Parramatta expires.

Pazza

First Grade
Orford is a class act and would do some great things at Parramatta.

Parraren

Bench
:lol: How did I know the man leading the "we must sing Matt Orford campaign" would be the first to post this story on here.

I agree he is a class act but I wonder what the future holds for Adam Dykes if we are seriously chasing Orford. Kinda makes sense why Witt is being groomed for 5/8th though doesn't it. I've heard strong whispers about Dykes agreeing to a release so this might be confirmation of that. Alot of money to pay for a guy who is yet to play Origin or represent Australia though. If we do indeed manage to release Dykes from his $300K/season deal then it's not a bad move at all.

Parraren

Bench
We're talking to Riddell too! It's all happening...

Riddell with no answer on his future, but he'll try to celebrate anyway
By Steve Mascord
June 5, 2004

Most players whose careers are at a crossroads, who are off contract and negotiating with a host of clubs and who have just broken into representative football have better things to think about than post-try celebrations.

Particularly hookers.

But Mark Riddell isn't most players and he certainly isn't most hookers.

Wrapping up training yesterday with St George Illawarra ahead of tonight's WIN Stadium game against North Queensland, he was more than aware of what happened in the corresponding match a couple of years ago.

Riddell made a break from dummy half, split several tackles, ran 40 metres to score between the posts, then jumped the fence, sat down next to a fan eating a hotdog and applauded himself. By popular consensus, it's the best such demonstration in premiership history. After the match, Riddell promised many more such celebrations. But the opportunities haven't come.

"I've always got something saved up but I haven't had the chance to use it since," Riddell said after holding contract talks with Parramatta yesterday.

The same opposition at the same venue would provide an ideal opportunity, right?

"It would be exciting to do it again but we've got to concentrate on winning the game first," he answered. "I've scored a few tries since then but not in the right way."

So when is the "right time" for a bit of post-try comedy? According to the man nicknamed "Pig": "You've got to be ahead by a fair bit. You've got to be running a distance to score and have no-one around you. And since I'm not very quick, that doesn't happen very often."

Asked for a clue as to the next celebration in his arsenal, the 23-year-old replied: "Um, it involves playing an instrument. It's going to be pretty funny."

Riddell's less-than-funny prospects for remaining at the joint-venture club were underscored yesterday when back-rower Dean Young was re-signed for two years and prop Ashton Sims signed for another season.

Justin Poore, Matthew Head and Jason Ellem were all said to be close to signing new contracts, too, but the goalkicking hooker and crowd favourite has instead been given permission to negotiate with other clubs.

"I hope to make a decision by the end of next week," he said. "So far, there's Parramatta, definitely Cronulla ... we'll just have to wait and see on the others."

He visited the Eels yesterday.

"They've got a very professional setup out there," he said. "I met Brian Smith, everyone was very friendly, and I spoke to Nathan Cayless and Nathan Hindmarsh for a while."

Asked his chances of remaining at St George Illawarra, Riddell said: "It's all even at the moment. I've just got to weigh everything up and make the right decision for myself."

St George Illawarra fans appear to adore Riddell, mimicking his trademark salute when he takes goal-kicks, and a departure would be extremely unpopular. The Bulldogs junior still lives in Sydney but said commuting to Wollongong would not be a factor in his decision. "I've been doing it for four years, it's OK," he said.

With clubs clamouring for his services and post-try celebrations to perfect, it's amazing Riddell has any time for football.

But he said nothing was more important to him right now than the next month of games for the Dragons.

"We've spoken about how important the next month is," he said. "We've got the Cowboys, Penrith, Souths, Wests Tigers and the bye. If we can win all those, we'll be well placed."

And if they can have North Queensland well beaten with plenty of time left in tonight's game, keep an eye on the bloke in the No.9 guernsey.

Seems as though Smithy & Fitzy must read these boards a bit :lol:

Riddell & Orford - that's 2 on my wishlist now they just need to start talking to Glenn Morrison [-o<

strider

Post Whore
I know Orford is a talentd player, but wouldn't signing him be a signal that are supposed junior star of the future, Tim Smith, is not the future for us???....I know Smith is maybe a few years off, but I assume Orford would want a longish contract - does that mean we ar prepared to let Smith walk cos he would want a gig somewhere before Orford's contract expires?

HAVEFAITHBOYS

Juniors
hey this is looking good!!!

if dykes can hit some form and orford comes to the club.. the dykes/orford combo will tear it up with the likes of hindmarsh and cayless ripping them up the middle...

ridell/ morris saga would be interesting... morris of the bench maybe or vice versa? depending on how morris preforms this year..

things are looking up for next season.. need to set up next season with a solid back end to this one...

Phillips

Referee
as much as i think Orford is a great player, i'd rather see a Witt & Thorman halves combination, that means Dykes can get f*cked cause he is a waste of money.....BUT if we do sign him i'd be bloody happy

i would rather we went for Utai though, we need another Wing/Centre

Hurriflatch

Referee
If they are chasing both Orford & Riddell then either Dykes or Morris are going, maybe both

No way will they keep Riddell, Oroford, Witt, Dykes & Morris on the books together.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Whether we get these players or none of them it isn't very important, whats important is the fact that Smith has realised that we need Class players and he's trying to do something about it.

If we miss out on these two atleast we have the funds to splash out on other class players, not just that he is also starting to blood some of our young blokes aswell.

I good start in building our 2005 campaign.

Eels Dude

Coach
Dykes is signed for next year too....

How the hell can the club be prepared to offer big cash to Matt Orford. That is an absolute joke. If they are offering him anywhere 400K then Brian Smith and the board must be sacked immediately! Haven't they learnt from mistakes in the past? Just when i'm trying to keep faith in the club they ruin it by making ridiculous offers. Dumb, dumb, dumb :evil: :evil: :evil:

Unreal V

Juniors
WOW, Orford and Riddell in Premier League.

We already have our halves, now and in the future. We have a hooker and a good one. What would be the point. The talent is there in the halves, time will see the gel.

We need 3/4's, we need a class full back and we need a coach with vision.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I read somewhere that Orford only wants a one year contract, hoping that he can play for Central Coast in 2006. This could be a good thing if he comes and mentors players like Witt and Smith.

Parraren

Bench
Now, now let's not all jump the gun yet.

My thoughts are that if we are indeed going after Orford it must be for more than a one year deal otherwise it's just silly throwing all that money at a guy who is merely using us as a stop-over before he reaches his final destination (Central Coast).

Orford is in another class to Dykes. Anyone who can't see this is kidding themselves. Due to the size of this offer for Orford (which surprises me) I have a feeling that Dykes will accept a release from the final year of his contract (there are already whispers). I agree with Hurri, I can't see us having Dykes, Witt, Morris, Riddell & Orford all at the club next year and I think Dykes will be the one to go (which doesn't really dissapoint me).

HAVEFAITHBOYS

Juniors
I disagree... iam sure we can get the money for orford and riddell esp since 250 - 300 is available from lyons contract plus the 70 odd that were under..

iam sure that they will be letting go a few players who are on 100 each...

this would cover orford and riddell...

but its true they wont keep riddell thorman morris dykes witt orford in the salary cap...

i dont think that parra will let dykes go... hopefully he will hit form on this side of the season.. dykes / orford pairing would be very lethal...

this would mean that witt or thorman will be fired... prolly thorman.. depends on how the season pans out...

rather keep morris than riddell... morris is very fit and can play the 80 mins...

Eels Dude

Coach
HAVEFAITHBOYS said:
I disagree... iam sure we can get the money for orford and riddell esp since 250 - 300 is available from lyons contract plus the 70 odd that were under..

iam sure that they will be letting go a few players who are on 100 each...

this would cover orford and riddell...

That's not the way it should be done. Letting go 5 or 6 players to sign 2 is not smart. All this means that further on down the track we will have maybe 6 or 7 top class footballers and the rest of our side will be premier league standard. The club can't afford to spend up and expect to retain their juniors. The same mistakes are being made over again...

CrazyEel

Bench
Geez, I wouldn't have thought letting go Wise, Pearson, Prince, Peterson, Muckert, Muspratt, Hopkins, Peek, Dykes and even Thorman would weaken our side very much at all. That's 10 without even thinking too much about it. If it cost us those 10 to gain Orford and Ridell I'd be more than happy, wouldn't miss any of them.

Of course that is based on Smith not buying more crap to replace them again.

Latest posts