What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orford, Riddell, Tahu, Kite, Pritchard and Kurt Gidley

WA Eel

Juniors
I tend to agree with Eels Dude's point about the money we are throwing at some of these players. It's not to say that they are not good players, but are they really worth what we are offering them? In the context of Dykes being on $350k, then $400 is about right for Orford, but Dykes is overpaid. I'd like to know what a Fittler or a Lockyer is on and I'd bet that it's probably not much more than $400k.

Pazza

First Grade
Avenger said:
We get Orford and Riddell, we make the 8 every year. Its a no brainer to me. And next year we want to re-sign Hindmarsh and Cayless. Signing the above 2 will help 10 fold.

Damn right!

The 2 players who get the ball the most in a football side is the Halfback and hooker. Having 2 class players in those positions is going to improve the teams ability to perform so much. I also think it is a no brainer aswell. As for next year i have no problem losing Vella, Dykes and Vaealiki if it means bringing Orford and Riddell to the club.

Eelectrica

Referee
My understanding of the Orford situation is that the window of opportunity has passed to sign Orford up before June 30. If that's the case I'd be stunned if Melbourne don't sign up before that. If not I think we need to pull the trigger on the Orford deal ASAP.
It will mean that we will have limited depth for next yerar, but with our PL team near the top of the table, I'm sure they could handle it. Also having max depth hasn't help much this year.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Avenger said:
We get Orford and Riddell, we make the 8 every year. Its a no brainer to me. And next year we want to re-sign Hindmarsh and Cayless. Signing the above 2 will help 10 fold.
I agree Avenger. We could build an awesome team around these 4 players.

Stagger eel

Staff member
It looks like Canberra have signed Kite!! and I think the sharks will win Riddels services.

Parraren

Bench
It would be very strange to see Riddell in the Sharks colours considering the fierce rivalry between the St George & Cronulla clubs & supporters. All the Cronulla supporters I know can't stand Riddell but I'm sure they'll be singing a different tune if he jumps ship.

walker smith

Juniors
eelavation wrote:
so what your saying Phillips, is that Frank Pritchard is the only player in that list that is capable of offering something to our side??

You would prefer Thorman over Orford??

Morris over Riddell, Langi over Tahu, Dykes over Gidley, any of our frontrowers over Kite???

you have massive problems and in need of professional help

what i ment is , out of those players i think we only need Pritchard, i dont rate Riddell or Kite very much, and why buy Orford or Gidley when we have Witt & Thorman, Tahu would be good but is over-rated so we would be better off buying some young talent like Paul Franze or Jake Webster

Seriously guys, dont pay attention to anything that phillips says, phillips is not endowed with the greatest rugby league brain ever - a case in point is this embarrassing effort in listing parra's three greatest ever players on the NRL forum which completely erodes all credibility:

EELS

1. Dean Pay
2. Jarrod McCracken
3. Jason Smith

even if u are only 17, surely you know something of the proud traditions of ur club!

Misty Bee

First Grade
MITS, Fittler and Lockeyer are at clubs where they can win premierships and jag top rep jobs. We are not that class of club.

We have to spend the $$. And if buying Orford means ridding ourselves of Tim Smith, so be it. Smith has only just made PL for god's sake!

I think signing a top half would INCREASE our chances of retaining Smith, who would want to learn as much as possible from him.

damo72

Juniors
Maybe it is just me but I am sure I saw Riddell running around in the City Country game, not bad for someone who isnt a rep player. Prior to last weekends injury to Glenn Morrison I thought he would have been a great buy but will have to wait to see the extent of the injury. Pritchard would be awesome interchanging with Afamasaga and on the Orford matter the Warriors have offered him $450,000 a season and no player with the salary cap is worth that much when we could retain Tim Smith and many others with that money. Tahu seems to be too injury proned as does another available centre in Ryan Cross who is also being chased by the Qld Reds. There are players out there that are not going to cost a packet but are also good value such as Danny Nutley, Neville Costigan, Paul Whatuira and even Lopini and Lelea Paea from the Roosters as some back up, but lets wait and see who we actually sign up and release as that will probably provoke more talk than who could get.