What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

origin

Saint Angelo

Juniors
WTF

Hodkinson - useless
Pearce - Has failed a thousand times at origin level
Hopoate can't catch a ball and offers nothing in attack or defense.
Klemmer - Has he been that good to get selected in front of Frizzel ?

Qld are dead set specials !!!!

I feel sorry for Duges as he is going to have a lot of traffic coming his way...:x:x

The Nick

Bench
LOL what a stupid statement seriously, get your facts right.
When the FIFA world cup is played, most country competitions are put on hold or they play the Wordl cup in the off season.

If the SOO was played at the end of the NRL season, after the Dragons won the 2015 comp ;-) then I would be more than happy for every past and present Dragons player to play in this exhibition game SOO. Even Mary can be apart of the coaching staff. Hornby can be trainer.

Don't get me wrong, I watch the SOO but it annoys me when we lose OUR star players to injures.

Yeah I don't like losing players to injury either but that's the way it is. Fact is clubs rely on NRL grants and NRL grants rely on revenue generated from Origin and Television Rights (which also rely on Origin). And Origin helps develop players, hence why head coaches are so keen to push their players' claims. It can go either way.

The Nick

Bench
Wait...So Alex Johnson is good enough to play for Australia...but not good enough to play for NSW?

Kinda like Ben Hunt and QLD....

Tests and Origin are 2 different games - who would you rather returning a kick against a QLD origin side, Johnston or Hopoate? I got Hopoate every day of the week.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Kinda like Ben Hunt and QLD....

Tests and Origin are 2 different games - who would you rather returning a kick against a QLD origin side, Johnston or Hopoate? I got Hopoate every day of the week.

I think Hopoate has been ordinary this year...I'd pick Johnston.

2010Dragons

Bench
Yeah I don't like losing players to injury either but that's the way it is. Fact is clubs rely on NRL grants and NRL grants rely on revenue generated from Origin and Television Rights (which also rely on Origin). And Origin helps develop players, hence why head coaches are so keen to push their players' claims. It can go either way.

I understand what you are saying. But the clubs play in the NRL to win it. The supporters pay the club membership fees to see the best team on the field EVERY game for 24 rounds.

Very easy solution: Stop the NRL comp for threes straight weeks, then play the SOO or play the SOO at the end of the season. win, win. NRL gets the revenue, Clubs get the grant, fans get to see good quialty club footy every game for 24 rounds.

Last edited:

The Nick

Bench
I understand what you are saying. But the clubs play in the NRL to win it. The supporters pay the club membership fees to see the best team on the field EVERY game for 24 rounds.

Very easy solution: Stop the NRL comp for threes straight, then play the SOO or play the SOO at the end of the season. win, win. NRL gets the revenue, Clubs get the grant, fans get to see good quialty club footy every game for 24 rounds.

And what about player burnout, which is one of the critical issues in the game at the moment. How does adding an extra 3 weeks to the season for our elite players (keeping in mind International tournaments are played at this time too) address that issue? Our elite players would end up in a virtually never-ending season.

2010Dragons

Bench
And what about player burnout, which is one of the critical issues in the game at the moment. How does adding an extra 3 weeks to the season for our elite players (keeping in mind International tournaments are played at this time too) address that issue? Our elite players would end up in a virtually never-ending season.

You have got your facts wrong again. !!
For example, the Mighty Dragons have the bye this week. The whole squad is rested.
Duges and Merrin are not going to play until Wedneday the 27th and then PLAY again on Sunday 31st (four days later) Our elite players will be burnout either way. Hence I say play it at the end of the season.
Don't be fooled by what the channel 9 commentators dish out. They have a agenda to play the SOO on Wednesday middle of the week and middle of the season to GET THE HIGHEST TV RATINGS.
The NRL and Channel 9 aren't worry about the players burning out, their main concern is TV rating.
How can club players burnout when the get three weeks of while the SOO players play the exibition game?
Do you get burnout when you take 3 weeks leave from your work ?

The Nick

Bench
You have got your facts wrong again. !!
For example, the Mighty Dragons have the bye this week. The whole squad is rested.
Duges and Merrin are not going to play until Wedneday the 27th and then PLAY again on Sunday 31st (four days later) Our elite players will be burnout either way. Hence I say play it at the end of the season.
Don't be fooled by what the channel 9 commentators dish out. They have a agenda to play the SOO on Wednesday middle of the week and middle of the season to GET THE HIGHEST TV RATINGS.
The NRL and Channel 9 aren't worry about the players burning out, their main concern is TV rating.
How can club players burnout when the get three weeks of while the SOO players play the exibition game?
Do you get burnout when you take 3 weeks leave from your work ?

LOL wow.... You realise that Dragons aren't the only club in the game affected by the scheduling? What I am saying is - you expect the games drawcard players like Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Jonathon Thurston, Paul Gallen, Trent Merrin etc to play a full season, a possible finals series AND THEN:

play 3 weeks of Origin in October, AND THEN;

play the end of season international tournaments (would have to be in November at the earliest - meanwhile the rest of the players are returning to pre-season with their clubs), AND THEN;

return to pre-season training after Xmas I presume in January (assuming they didn't pick up any injuries in the end of season Origin and International series, or need off season surgery) ... AND THEN;

Only 1 month of pre-season training AND THEN;

it's the Auckland 9's in February, AND THEN;

The All Stars Match, AND THEN;

World Club Challenge if they're apart of that AND THEN back to Round 1 again.... You see how your ridiculous scheduling ensures the game's elite players have a virtually never-ending season?

PS I hope you read "AND THEN" in an old Asian lady voice :D

Cagey Mac

Bench
As for Thommo/Frizzell, meh the other options are fantastic also, and Klemmer/Jackson were in the aussie squad yeah, I mean they are first choice selections.. im not actually sure Thommo is big enough tbh, and Frizzell will kill it, but no rush.. hes only just hitting his stride this season.

The voice of reason
What are you doing here??

hazzbeen

Bench
Shouldnt it be City Country..... State of Origin......Then pick an Australian side to play the Kiwis..... picking the best performed players from each game......?

SBD82

Coach
I'm glad that Thompson and frizzel were left out, as I can't see them making a difference to the result. (Not because they're no good, but because of how bad I think the NSW team is.

Put yourself in a defensive coach's position. Look at the NSW lineup.

Which player/ combination scares you? Where do you have to make sure you do your homework? Dugan is the greatest attacking threat, but he is best when a half can isolate him with a weak defender by giving him a ball on the defender's outside shoulder. Which of the blues halves has shown that he can do this? Hodkinson is playing on one leg and Pearce... Well... If there was ever a player who has shown that he has an inability to convert club form to origin level...

And the left side attack? Mal will get his right side defense in for one video session. He will drill Cronk, hodges, chambers and thaiday/guerra on the roosters' left side plays. All four variations of them. Good plays, but not when you are coming up against decision makers of that caliber.

I don't believe this team can construct tries. Again we will have to rely on the forwards dominating field position, the 50/50 balls and calls, and a lot of luck. Not a great way to approach a game.

Last edited:

2010Dragons

Bench
LOL wow.... You realise that Dragons aren't the only club in the game affected by the scheduling? What I am saying is - you expect the games drawcard players like Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Jonathon Thurston, Paul Gallen, Trent Merrin etc to play a full season, a possible finals series AND THEN:

play 3 weeks of Origin in October, AND THEN;

play the end of season international tournaments (would have to be in November at the earliest - meanwhile the rest of the players are returning to pre-season with their clubs), AND THEN;

return to pre-season training after Xmas I presume in January (assuming they didn't pick up any injuries in the end of season Origin and International series, or need off season surgery) ... AND THEN;

Only 1 month of pre-season training AND THEN;

it's the Auckland 9's in February, AND THEN;

The All Stars Match, AND THEN;

World Club Challenge if they're apart of that AND THEN back to Round 1 again.... You see how your ridiculous scheduling ensures the game's elite players have a virtually never-ending season?

PS I hope you read "AND THEN" in an old Asian lady voice :D

LOL!!! :D NO AND THEN !!!!! ( in an old Asian lady voice)
f**k the SOO
f**k the little old Asian lady.
f**k Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Jonathon Thurston, Paul Gallen. I hope they are ruled out for the season.

I want my mighty Dragons boys to be healthy, fit and ready to play for us (Dragons fans)
I want our club to be successful again and win the comp without being disadvantage with players ruled out or injured because of the bullsit SOO.

FYI QLD will win three games straight with the team Daly has selected.

BennyV

Referee
I'm ok with Friz and JT missing it. IMO, Cordner on the bench is useless, he is not an impact player but I would still put Sims in before Friz at this stage. However, I think Friz will benefit from being in the squad.

Thommo is a different style of player, but if he keeps his form up for the season and next year, he will put himself in the frame to take the left edge spot when Hoffman hangs it up. His competition is Cordner and Jackson, and in my unbiased opinion, JT is more dangerous and effective.

silverex

Bench
You tell me, do you want the Dragons to make the top 8 and win in the finals or win the bullshit exhibition game call State of Origin?

I would rather keep all our boys in OUR team fresh and no injuries to win the NRL competition.
Frizzel and Thompson are more important to our 2015 NRL campaign than a crap exhibition were players get injured and over worked.
This bullshit exhibition game brings out all the ?I watch 3 games a year? supporters out of the wood work.
f**k the SOO!!!!

This times 1000!!

dribble73

Juniors
WTF

Hodkinson - useless
Pearce - Has failed a thousand times at origin level
Hopoate can't catch a ball and offers nothing in attack or defense.
Klemmer - Has been that good to get selected in front of Frizzel ?

Qld are dead set specials !!!!

Can't really compare Klemmer to Frizzel. One plays in the middle whilst the other plays on an edge.