What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Ben Ikin walks out of CH9

Gronk

Staff member
Resigned because of an A Current Affair piece going to air this evening.

Source: ABC Radio

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well even if the Blues lose tonight there is something to smile about :) Worst commentator ever.......

strider

Post Whore
interesting ..... but yeah, gotta agree he's a bit of a shocker

there was a friday night recently where him and joey were giving the final wrap-up after the 2nd game - holy f'n hell it was painful to watch #-o

cgee221

Juniors
A Current Affair again?

Wow, Channel 9 are really going after each other....I wonder who Tracey's next target will be?

interesting ..... but yeah, gotta agree he's a bit of a shocker

there was a friday night recently where him and joey were giving the final wrap-up after the 2nd game - holy f'n hell it was painful to watch

OMG, I know exactly the game your referring to and I share your pain. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or hide in shame.

But in all fairness to Ikin, I thought he was starting to improve, all be it very small improvements.....very...:sarcasm:

The Colonel

Immortal
Ben Ikin walks from Channel Nine

Article from:

By Phil Rothfield and Marcus Casey
June 03, 2009 12:00am

FORMER Queensland State of Origin star Ben Ikin has stormed out of Channel Nine only hours before he was supposed to be commentating on tonight's showdown in Melbourne.
A furious Ikin phoned Nine’s director of sport Steve Crawley early this afternoon to resign from all his commentary duties.

Ikin is the second member of Nine's commentary team to be missing tonight following the standing down of colleague Matthew Johns last month after the NRL group sex scandal.

Ikin, who is the son-in-law of super coach Wayne Bennett, is angry that Channel Nine’s A Current Affair is doing an investigation tonight into a business owned by his father on the Gold Coast.
Ikin, who could not be contacted, has been a commentator on Nine for several years and is highly regarded by station management.

Steve Crawley confirmed Ikin had quit but refused to comment, other than saying, “”At this stage I’m just concentrating on getting the telecast right for tonight.’’

Source: The Daily Telegraph

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25581295-5001021,00.html

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe so, but Channel Nine and the Daily Telegraph are cannibalising the game.

I agree. Like Ikin or not, it's low to go after his Dad and lower to air it on Origin eve for the sake of ratings.

Obviously they felt that Ikin was expendable. :?

cgee221

Juniors
This was just posted by the Telegraph:

By Phil Rothfield and Marcus Casey
June 03, 2009 12:00am
FORMER Queensland State of Origin star Ben Ikin has stormed out of Channel Nine only hours before he was supposed to be commentating on tonight's showdown in Melbourne.
A furious Ikin phoned Nine’s director of sport Steve Crawley early this afternoon to resign from all his commentary duties.

Ikin is the second member of Nine's commentary team to be missing tonight following the standing down of colleague Matthew Johns last month after the NRL group sex scandal.

Special Section: Matthew Johns sex scandal full coverage

Ikin, who is the son-in-law of super coach Wayne Bennett, is angry that Channel Nine’s A Current Affair is doing an investigation tonight into a business owned by his father on the Gold Coast.
Ikin, who could not be contacted, has been a commentator on Nine for several years and is highly regarded by station management.

Steve Crawley confirmed Ikin had quit but refused to comment, other than saying, “”At this stage I’m just concentrating on getting the telecast right for tonight.’’

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25581295-5001021,00.html

spiderdan

Bench
it's not a low act, it's there job. in most of their pieces something is brought to them to investigate and regardless of how it's presented, they are doing what they are paid to do.

if anything i think this is very unprofessional of ikin. anyway good ridance to him. he is a below average comentator and my impresssion is that he was brought in for the sole purpose of gaining access to wayne benett.

SDM

First Grade
But he is happy to take his paycheck when his colleagues assassinate peoples character who are not his father?

Good morals? either they are scum or not, if his Dad is a shonk, they will come.

El Diablo

Post Whore
can't stand him as a commentator but good on him for walking out on 9

State Of Origin scandal they promote the story as. couldn't be further from the truth

just a ratings grab from grubby Grimshaw

eels_

Juniors
Right or wrong, agree or not... If I was in his situation and it was about my father, I am sure I would do the same thing.

Suitman

Post Whore
it's not a low act, it's there job. in most of their pieces something is brought to them to investigate and regardless of how it's presented, they are doing what they are paid to do.

if anything i think this is very unprofessional of ikin. anyway good ridance to him. he is a below average comentator and my impresssion is that he was brought in for the sole purpose of gaining access to wayne benett.

As bad as people think Ikin is as a commentator, this is just another exmaple of the low-brow quality of the sh*te that is A Current Affair.
Along with Today Tonight, it is without doubt the worst current affairs programme on TV. The standard of journalism is appalling.

I watched a brilliant piece on Foreign Correspondant last night. Quality stuff.

Suity

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Channel Nien are a joke, you would think on Origin night they would be promoting RL???? They treat the code like garbage and Gallop never says boo........

Latest posts