What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: correct grammar & usage of words

watatank

Coach
For all of you that have posted on hear about use of correct grammar and spelling, you have set a high presedent for yourselfs. Make sure you double check all your posts for any mistakes!!!

*I can now wait for someone to point out some very simple yet common mistakes I have seen, although it doesn't bother me because it is only a footy forum lol.

Did you make those mistakes on purpose?

silverex

Bench
This forum is for rugby league, its not a grammer class, if i were the mediator i'd seriosuly consider banning you for such a foolish post

SPARTAN

I'm pretty sure the people who look after our Forum are called Moderators, not mediators, though mediation is sometimes required.

Thank you for this thread.....I support it 100%. Though I have been called a pedant in my time.:D

OldSkoolSaint

Juniors
Did you make those mistakes on purpose?
Yeh I did. Highlight the post and you will see. But people do those mistakes and all the others already suggested in this thread, however it doesn't bother me at all.

Using capital letters and punctuation to make long posts easier to read is always handy though.

Jason Maher

Immortal
as much as i will cop s**t for posting this, i'm sure i'm not the only one who gets frustrated when they see words used in the wrong manner..

so.. here's a crash course in our language for the two groups of three of the most commonly interchanged words..

there - used to describe location or distance, eg, we are going over there
their - used to describe 'belonging', eg, it's their football
they're - is a shortening of two words - they & are. eg. they're going over there

to - this is a linking word, eg. he's going to that club. it's quarter to three
two - it's a number people. it's not that hard..
too - used to describe excess, in addition or as well. eg. i'm going there too. that's too many hamburgers, mr weyman.

i know it's a forum & people don't use the proper grammar (hell, i don't even use captials) however spelling is something that gets right up my nose.. any more common errors out there that we keep on seeing?

The first person singular pronuon is meant to be capitalised. As is the first letter of the first word in a sentence. You can't be a grammar nazi while at the same time ignoring captilisation conventions (and yes, I saw your admission).

I'd also point out that the incorrect use of "to" in place of "too" is more often than not a simple typo. I know I've done it to many times to count. :p The there/their/they're thing does bug me though...

I don't care about grammar or spelling but what annoys me is text speak.

It may have had a legitimate use 10 years ago with the emergence of the Nokia8210, but since the advent of auto spell it doesn't even have a place in actual texting.

People who use it on forums are twats.

teegy

Juniors
Some people payed way to much attention in english. Our english class was mostly fending off brisbane fans as i was the only dragons fan in my grade.

tevoro

First Grade
Here's one that always make me open threads thinking somethings wrong:

resigned/re-signed - Always open a thread thinking one of our players quit, when in actual fact, hes extended his contract.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
resigned/re-signed - Always open a thread thinking one of our players quit, when in actual fact, hes extended his contract.

or, in the case of gasnier, extends his contract then quits..

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
Here's one that always make me open threads thinking somethings wrong:

oh yeah that really ticks me off. I had to laugh at a message i got saying Tony Zappia re-signed. That led me to think ":? Was he ever signed in the first place?" until i realised, it was resigned.

or, in the case of gasnier, extends his contract then quits..

:lol::lol:

LazyDreamer

Bench
Three of my top four bug-bear are already listed (there/your/too). The missing one is the shortened version of until. Everywhere I look (including some 40+ year-old books) it's shortened it to till. It's in advertising, reputable news services, everywhere. I would love to be corrected, but isn't a till a money drawer, while the shortened version of until is 'til ?

To use in context: It's only three months 'til the Dragons win the premiership.

Latest posts