What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

hindy111

Post Whore
I am a typical self employed merkin and I need to dispel the myth that we are all wealthy and light cigars with $100 notes. Most self employed merkins work 70-100 hours a week + and mortgage their houses to run the business. Many take significant punts on direction and risk their own livelihoods on a daily basis. Many (like me) have also had lean times where staff get paid and I don't. Whilst you might think that we are well remunerated, often when you break down the hourly rate some would be better off getting a salary job - with zero risk.

Branding small business owners as advantaged and others as disadvantaged is bullcrap. It costs $99 to register a business name with ASIC, ABNs are free. The rest is hard work.

I'm privileged as well and had luck along way.
I think plenty of people where not as lucky and plenty do not get as good an education or upbringing. Some have nobody to fall back on. No family or friends. Some are supporting their parents.
The mentality and upbringing given to many is their privilege and not always the financial aspect you may have.

Most self employed guys I know get about the 35 - 40hrs and seem to be doing better then average.But unsure why this was bought up. I didnt even know you worked for yourself.

hindy111

Post Whore
Merkin you own eastern suburbs real estate and buy your cars new. Your quality of life will be through the roof. Working 70+ hours a week (for yourself, not for a series of unreasonable bosses) just means you don't want to provide another job for some more desperate shmuck to take some of the load off your hands. Instead you want that extra money to fund your lifestyle.

Well done to you, and you (probably) deserve everything you've got, but don't pretend you're some battler because you went to school in the western suburbs and you're now exposed to some mild business risk.

Dundas/ Carlingford are wealthy areas.
That's what made me laugh. Go out to Shalvey or Kingswood and see how tough some people are doing it.

Gronk

Staff member
Merkin you own eastern suburbs real estate and buy your cars new. Your quality of life will be through the roof. Working 70+ hours a week (for yourself, not for a series of unreasonable bosses) just means you don't want to provide another job for some more desperate shmuck to take some of the load off your hands. Instead you want that extra money to fund your lifestyle.

Well done to you, and you (probably) deserve everything you've got, but don't pretend you're some battler because you went to school in the western suburbs and you're now exposed to some mild business risk.
LOL there he is folks, a merkin who has NFI.

giphy.gif

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dundas/ Carlingford are wealthy areas.
That's what made me laugh. Go out to Shalvey or Kingswood and see how tough some people are doing it.
Sure but where Gronk lives now there are homes that insanely wealthy people own who only live there the couple of months per year they're in Australia.

hindy111

Post Whore
I wasn't having a dig at him. People get confused when they start with nothing and work hard and have been rewarded for it all. They deserve it.

But there are others who work just as hard and they continue to live on the bread line. They did not deserve it.

Suitman

Post Whore
You are showing your ignorance if you think that Dundas Valley was wealthy in the 60/70's. :joy: ping @Suitman

The Valley part certainly wasn't wealthy. It still isn't.
My parents moved us to Dundas in 1971, from Harris Park, but it was into the street opposite the Caronavirus School - St Patricks Marist College. It was just a little bit more upmarket there, than the Valley, although still seriously working class. Dad worked 3 jobs and mum worked two, with 5 kids in tow, just to pay the bills.

I still remember clearly two days from my childhood when I thought we were doing well. Dad came home from work one day with a palm sized calculator, for my older brothers to share to use for their homework. It had bright green digits on the screen. I was astounded at this technology and it blew my mind away.

The second time was when we had a dishwasher installed. Wow, I didn't have to wash up or wipe up or put away dishes any longer. Luxury!!

There is a 3rd time too that I just remembered. After just about every other kids family in the street had bought one, we finally got a colour tv in about 1977. The first show I saw was the cartoon George of the Jungle. I was absolutely blown away by the quality and colours. Rank Arena was the biz, although we still had to get up from our orange bean bag and flick the channel dial from either 2, 7, 9 or to 10, or on the odd Saturday afternoon, to 5a, to watch some Rugby League from the Wollongong version of the ABC. Those were the great such innocent days.

@Gronk

strider

Post Whore
My parents moved us to Dundas in 1971, from Harris Park, but it was into the street opposite the Caronavirus School - St Patricks Marist College. It was just a little bit more upmarket there, than the Valley, although still seriously working class. Dad worked 3 jobs and mum worked two, with 5 kids in tow, just to pay the bills.

I still remember clearly two days from my childhood when I thought we were doing well. Dad came home from work one day with a palm sized calculator, for my older brothers to share to use for their homework. It had bright green digits on the screen. I was astounded at this technology and it blew my mind away.

The second time was when we had a dishwasher installed. Wow, I didn't have to wash up or wipe up or put away dishes any longer. Luxury!!

There is a 3rd time too that I just remembered. After just about every other kids family in the street had bought one, we finally got a colour tv in about 1977. The first show I saw was the cartoon George of the Jungle. I was absolutely blown away by the quality and colours. Rank Arena was the biz, although we still had to get up from our orange bean bag and flick the channel dial from either 2, 7, 9 or to 10, or on the odd Saturday afternoon, to 5a, to watch some Rugby League from the Wollongong version of the ABC. Those were the great such innocent days.

@Gronk
Dont forget buying a VCR

Eelogical

Referee

@Gronk

Yep, and they'll remain good memories for me too for the most part. Except for MBHS.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
TBF to hindy, Dundas is upper crust compared to Shalvey in any decade

I grew up where we would shop between My Druit and St Mary's. Did I do it tough? I don't think so at all but I experienced friendships with people who where bought up in some of these neighbourhoods who did. People will laugh and call them boguns or deroes or whatever makes people feel better about their own existence. Still makes me sick to think how many foul pathetic merkins would laugh at those footy show segments using these people as a joke. Reality is most just where not as privileged and some people do not get the same guidance and care as others from the get go.

So was I privileged? YES I dam well was. Just as much as Gronk. It is not a crime to be priveledge but poor taste to deny it.