What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Dead hard rockers week

carcharias

Immortal
Nobody seemed to notice that Steve Priest, bassist and Vocalist for The Sweet has passed away aged 72. Hopefully he'll be reunited with guitarist /singer Brian Connolly to do The Ballroom Blitz upstairs. My first Sweet record was a single of "Teenage Rampage" which I got as a present for my 15th birthday from a spunky female friend.
Unreal
How’s that film clip
They deadset look like spinal tap.
They did fox on the run?

I heard the singer on triple J years ago and he sang fox on the run down the phone.
He was a ripper.

Foz

Bench
I remember buying the LP that had Fox on the Run on it.Cant remember the name of it but it’ll be kicking around somewhere in my record collection.
Boy was I disappointed when the album version of Fox on The Run sounded so different to the single version.Mustve forked out a good $9 for the LP when I could’ve got the single for $1.25.Never bought another Sweet record from that day on though my kids love Fox on the Run too from Guardians of The Galaxy I think.

SadShark

Bench
Nobody seemed to notice that Steve Priest, bassist and Vocalist for The Sweet has passed away aged 72. Hopefully he'll be reunited with guitarist /singer Brian Connolly to do The Ballroom Blitz upstairs. My first Sweet record was a single of "Teenage Rampage" which I got as a present for my 15th birthday from a spunky female friend.
My first album too. Ballroom Blitz, Fox On The Run, Love Is Like Oxygen, Alexander Graham Bell and The Peppermint Twist. Great drummer too. Highly underrated (Mick Tucker I think).

Foz

Bench
Desolation Boulevard (1975)was the name of that album.Just listened to the new extended version on Spotify.
Some songs you hear album version and single version and I can hardly tell a difference but they butchered Fox on the Run on that album.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Immortal
Desolation Boulevard (1975)was the name of that album.Just listened to the new extended version on Spotify.
Some songs you hear album version and single version and I can hardly tell a difference but they butchered Fox on the Run on that album.

Still gets a run in the car travelling to and from work.

Iconic stuff.

88985357621_x700.progressive.jpg

coolumsharkie

Referee
I had this one, still goes on rotation every now and again.

Sweetsingles.jpg

Reactions: Foz

carcharias

Immortal
I’ll have to listen to these dudes.
I thought they were like the bay city rollers of something.
All this time.

My fave was probably The Sixteens. Then again, I liked Wheatus and Teenage Dirtbag too HAHAHAHA

Written by an Aussie fella, Mike Chapman. In fact he and Nicky Chinn wrote a heap of The Sweets hits, along with a hell of Lot of other artists hits. Those two were a hit machine factory in the 70’s and a bit into the 80’s.
Chapman hailed from up coolums way at Nambour.
Look him up, it’s quite surprising how this not much lauded Australian really controlled so much of the music industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Chapman

coolumsharkie

Referee
Written by an Aussie fella, Mike Chapman. In fact he and Nicky Chinn wrote a heap of The Sweets hits, along with a hell of Lot of other artists hits. Those two were a hit machine factory in the 70’s and a bit into the 80’s.
Look him up, it’s quite surprising how this not much lauded Australian really controlled so much of the music industry.

Shit eh, what a legend.

carcharias

Immortal
They used to write a lot of songs about barely legal girls back then.

be frowned upon nowadays.

have a listen Angry and the boys here
They sound like Epstein.

Frenzy.

Immortal

He MADE this chicly babe. About 9-10 hits in a row

Would love to hear the story about the change. The single version is definitely a re-record of the original. The album version isn't *that* bad, just not quite as produced as the re-record and the guitar solo goes on a bit long (the second half of which is a bit naff).

Reactions: Foz
Would love to hear the story about the change. The single version is definitely a re-record of the original. The album version isn't *that* bad, just not quite as produced as the re-record and the guitar solo goes on a bit long (the second half of which is a bit naff).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_on_the_Run_(Sweet_song)

"Fox on the Run" is a song by the British band Sweet, first recorded in 1974. It was the first Sweet single written by the band, rather than producers Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman, and was their 14th single overall. "Fox" being slang for an attractive woman, the lyrics are apparently about one of the band's groupies;[4] Bomp! called the song "a definitive hard-rock bubblegum record" and "one of the last glitter classics".[3]

Two versions were recorded by Sweet. The original version was produced by Mike Chapman in association with Nicky Chinn on the European version of the 1974 album Desolation Boulevard. Sweet also recorded and produced a more pop-oriented version as a 7" single in 1975, which is the more familiar version of the song. The 1975 single version was included on the Capitol Records version of Desolation Boulevard.

The song fared extremely well on the Australian charts, clocking up six weeks at number one, between August and September 1975. It went on to become the best charting single for that year in Australia. [5]

The song appears in numerous films, including Dazed And Confused, Detroit Rock City, When in Rome, Catch .44, Lords of Dogtown and The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard. Its inclusion in the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 led to the song reaching number one on the iTunes Rock Chart in late 2016.[6][7]