What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Foxtel FoxSports / Kayo /Ch9 + NRL TV Rights

Chipmunk

Coach
To be honest I'm surprised rugby has lasted this long on Fox. The Super Rugby comp was essentially created because at the time Murdoch couldn't get the rights to show Rugby League. It's a New Zealand sport, played by private school boys in Australia. If the best and most successful Australian team in the entire comp that was in the Finals can only get 5000 to a match then what commercial future does the sport really have.

Gronk

Staff member
To be honest I'm surprised rugby has lasted this long on Fox. The Super Rugby comp was essentially created because at the time Murdoch couldn't get the rights to show Rugby League. It's a New Zealand sport, played by private school boys in Australia. If the best and most successful Australian team in the entire comp that was in the Finals can only get 5000 to a match then what commercial future does the sport really have.

In reality the popularity of Super Rugby in Australia hinges on the success of the Australian franchises. Not too long ago it was not uncommon for the Tahs or Brumbies to get crowd that NRL clubs would envy. The problem seems to be the exodus of Australian talent to play in Japan and Europe.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
In reality the popularity of Super Rugby in Australia hinges on the success of the Australian franchises. Not too long ago it was not uncommon for the Tahs or Brumbies to get crowd that NRL clubs would envy. The problem seems to be the exodus of Australian talent to play in Japan and Europe.
When there is only 3 or 4 franchises it should be easier to get a decent crowd should it not?? It’s not like they have 9 over teams in Sydney alone like the NRL does.

Let’s face it it’s a sport that’s been propped up by an old boys club with old money that are all dying out. It does nothing to attract young people to the sport it would be the oldest demographic sport in the country. It’s just about gonskis in Aus.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It does nothing to attract young people to the sport it would be the oldest demographic sport in the country. It’s just about gonskis in Aus.

The Waratahs Facebook and Twitter pages do quiet a lot to attack young people into the sport, it regularly provides updates and fan days for both men's and women's junior and senior Rugby. They have particularly been busy in the last year or so in trying to promote women's Rugby.

I think its quiet commendable what they do with very little money. No idea if the other franchises do this as I dont follow them.

Bazal

Post Whore
The Waratahs Facebook and Twitter pages do quiet a lot to attack young people into the sport, it regularly provides updates and fan days for both men's and women's junior and senior Rugby. They have particularly been busy in the last year or so in trying to promote women's Rugby.

I think its quiet commendable what they do with very little money. No idea if the other franchises do this as I dont follow them.

Yep. And it's still the number one code in the ACT, even though the Brumbies are a nepotistic and self centered organization. The local RL comp has been near death for a decade but the RU comp is getting by a lot better

It's tremendously mismanaged at many levels but the support would be there if they could get over themselves as an organization and make it worth supporting again

hineyrulz

Post Whore

RA has a levy on junior Onion, so the juniors have to prop up the non performing playing millionaires???

That’s a system I’m sure will attract extra kids from all over the country, but but but they post on Facebook and Twitter lol.

Gronk

Staff member
When there is only 3 or 4 franchises it should be easier to get a decent crowd should it not?? It’s not like they have 9 over teams in Sydney alone like the NRL does.

Let’s face it it’s a sport that’s been propped up by an old boys club with old money that are all dying out. It does nothing to attract young people to the sport it would be the oldest demographic sport in the country. It’s just about gonskis in Aus.

It's easy to poke fun at them when you are the No.1 team sport in the country. I gave up on that kind of rivalry years ago. It's a different game played by players who have mostly a different body shape and skill set.

I really only posted that link because it said that Mark Gasnier got the bullet from FoxSports.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's easy to poke fun at them when you are the No.1 team sport in the country. I gave up on that kind of rivalry years ago. It's a different game played by players who have mostly a different body shape and skill set.

I really only posted that link because it said that Mark Gasnier got the bullet from FoxSports.
Just telling a few home truths, Yawnion has been trying to dance on RL’s grave for over a century.

They are where they deserve to be AFAIK, and it’s all their own making.

Gronk

Staff member
Just telling a few home truths, Yawnion has been trying to dance on RL’s grave for over a century.

They are where they deserve to be AFAIK, and it’s all their own making.
Each to their own.

Bazal

Post Whore
The Union v League thing is about is relevant as Ford v Holden.

Yep.

El Diablo syndrome. Hate a sport so much you spend more time reading up and whinging about it than talking about the sport you like. Don't get it myself. I'm hugely anti-AFL but I just ignore its existence.

Not specifically referring to posts in this thread either so put the Kraken down hiney ffs

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep.

El Diablo syndrome. Hate a sport so much you spend more time reading up and whinging about it than talking about the sport you like. Don't get it myself. I'm hugely anti-AFL but I just ignore its existence.

Not specifically referring to posts in this thread either so put the Kraken down hiney ffs
Have to wait at least 2 more hours for one FFS!!

Latest posts