What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Foxtel FoxSports / Kayo /Ch9 + NRL TV Rights

Chipmunk

Coach
Interesting to see who would be interested in buying Foxtel, and what they'd ultimately do with it.

Their Movies/Drama/Binge/content is something that they don't have full ownership of the content, and can change streaming platform on the decision of someone they have no control over. They're continually losing content each month to other streaming platforms. Most British stuff disappeared last month.

The Sports/Kayo is a lot of their own content and would have value, but if there wasn't Foxtel, would other sports content (ESPN, Racing channels) just choose to sell their content to someone else.

I think News Corp would likely retain ownership of Sky News, given it would continually fit with their core business, and they appeared to have manoeuvred it into a position where this could be a separate streaming service outside of Foxtel anyway.

The rest is rubbish no one is likely to continue to pay for as a standalone product.

Interesting times...

Suitman

Post Whore
Interesting to see who would be interested in buying Foxtel, and what they'd ultimately do with it.

Their Movies/Drama/Binge/content is something that they don't have full ownership of the content, and can change streaming platform on the decision of someone they have no control over. They're continually losing content each month to other streaming platforms. Most British stuff disappeared last month.

The Sports/Kayo is a lot of their own content and would have value, but if there wasn't Foxtel, would other sports content (ESPN, Racing channels) just choose to sell their content to someone else.

I think News Corp would likely retain ownership of Sky News, given it would continually fit with their core business, and they appeared to have manoeuvred it into a position where this could be a separate streaming service outside of Foxtel anyway.

The rest is rubbish no one is likely to continue to pay for as a standalone product.

Interesting times...

I'm an old fogey re Foxtel but not for long. I've been a subscriber since they started in the mid 90's
I still have Foxtel but I sparingly watch any of the content. I watch more FTA these days and it's mostly the ABC and SBS anyway.
It's mainly for the sport that I've kept Fox, so it is time to dump Fox and get Kayo.
In hindsight, I should have done it years ago.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm an old fogey re Foxtel but not for long. I've been a subscriber since they started in the mid 90's
I still have Foxtel but I sparingly watch any of the content. I watch more FTA these days and it's mostly the ABC and SBS anyway.
It's mainly for the sport that I've kept Fox, so it is time to dump Fox and get Kayo.
The good thing about Kayo being a pure streaming app, is that you can pause it in the summer if nothing particularly interests you.

EelEtric

Juniors
Long-time Foxtel user and about 12 months ago when I realised I was paying $140 per month for Foxtel in 2 rooms at home and Foxtel Go on the laptop, I got my family to re-think their streaming needs. We now have Paramount, Disney+, Kayo, Netflix and Prime for less than the Foxtel cost and no one is missing anything important.

Suitman

Post Whore
Long-time Foxtel user and about 12 months ago when I realised I was paying $140 per month for Foxtel in 2 rooms at home and Foxtel Go on the laptop, I got my family to re-think their streaming needs. We now have Paramount, Disney+, Kayo, Netflix and Prime for less than the Foxtel cost and no one is missing anything important.

Yep.
I pay $8 a month for Paramount+ (mainly for the A-League) but I also watch other stuff on there as well.
FTA as I said also keeps me going these days.
There's only so many hours a day that I get to watch tv which is mostly during the evening.
This is more than enough for my needs.
On weekends, if I dump Fox and subscribe to Kayo, I'll be saving about $100 a month.
I honestly don't know why I haven't done this sooner.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm the other way, the only shows I watch on Free to Air is The Front Bar on a Wednesday night, and Offsiders on a Sunday morning.

I mainly watch YouTube these days.

I will likely switch to Kayo soon, although a mate says he's not happy with it, as the App has some issues.

Chipmunk

Coach
I called up to cancel the service some years ago, and they drop the price quickly.

I also have two boxes, and rent a room in my house to a bloke, and he gets his own lounge room with a Foxtel box...I can justify keeping it given the circumstances.

However, I was paying $99 for 2 boxes with every channel, 4K, and standard Netflix included, up until last month, but they've bumped it up to $115, and next month they want $117!

I will consider cancelling at the end of the season...clearly they want to get people off the Boxes.

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm the other way, the only shows I watch on Free to Air is The Front Bar on a Wednesday night, and Offsiders on a Sunday morning.

I mainly watch YouTube these days.

I will likely switch to Kayo soon, although a mate says he's not happy with it, as the App has some issues.

That is an issue that I fear transferring from cable to streaming.
Streaming can be so irregular and unreliable. I have good internet connection and Paramount+ has never been a problem for me, but I have heard horror stories from others.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yep.
I pay $8 a month for Paramount+ (mainly for the A-League) but I also watch other stuff on there as well.
FTA as I said also keeps me going these days.
There's only so many hours a day that I get to watch tv which is mostly during the evening.
This is more than enough for my needs.
On weekends, if I dump Fox and subscribe to Kayo, I'll be saving about $100 a month.
I honestly don't know why I haven't done this sooner.
Sounds like you're paying a lot for Foxtel.

Latest posts