What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Help With iExplorer Problems

DJDL

First Grade
Hey there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with some problems I've been having with explorer the last week or so. I'm running Explorer 7.

Anyways, problem number 1 is this:-

When I try to open and attachment from an email, or download a file from the net, my laptop goes through the whole process of downloading all the info, but when it comes time to open I get an error message which states "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item"

Microsoft seem to think I am not logged in as an admin., which is bollocks.

If I forward this to my 2nd email addie, which I access through Outlook Express, I don't have any problems opening the file.

Problem number 2 is when I try to clear all my browsing history it just doesn't work.
I click on the tools/delete browsing history/delete all/yes and all that happens is the little boxes which open when I do this close. Nothing is deleted.

This is driving me insane.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
DJDL

spider

Coach
if i cant find my answer in microsoft.com

go to the 'ask us anything forum' on the main page mate

someone will be of help in there

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
hahaha,

people who use firefox should use macs.

Shyte but trending, and completely hackable.

Check you phising options.

The Dodger

First Grade
IE 7 is shiit. if your running windows xp, you can remove it from add/remove programs in your control panel.

also, try saving the file instead of opening it, this way you have the file stored so you can go back to it whenever you need and delete it once your done with it.

is it a work laptop?
if so, then security policies can prevenet you from doing certain things.

DJDL

First Grade
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Frenzy, I'm running XP Pro Service Pack 2

DPG, I've tried saving the file instead of just opening and that does work, but it doesn't solve my problem of not being able to delete cookies etc.
And you're right about iE7. I hate it. It took me ages to figure out where everything was.
Why is it that Microsoft change everything when they upgrade software? Wankers.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Well seems you used DPGs advice and punted it. Would of been mine as well BTW.

IE7 is actually better than Firefox IMO and I've been a long time Firefox user.

However, IE7 seems to be unfriendly with anything other than Vista.

Coolum - beware Vista. I have it on a new ASUS notebook which is running a 100Gb HDD, Intel Centrino duo @ 2350Mhz and 1Gb RAM - it still chews those resources up within a couple of solid hours. If you consider Vista Cools and anyone, also consider a minimum of 2Gb RAM if your machine can take it.

Inferno

Coach
CHAOS said:
Well seems you used DPGs advice and punted it. Would of been mine as well BTW.

IE7 is actually better than Firefox IMO and I've been a long time Firefox user.

However, IE7 seems to be unfriendly with anything other than Vista.

Coolum - beware Vista. I have it on a new ASUS notebook which is running a 100Gb HDD, Intel Centrino duo @ 2350Mhz and 1Gb RAM - it still chews those resources up within a couple of solid hours. If you consider Vista Cools and anyone, also consider a minimum of 2Gb RAM if your machine can take it.

Why do you rate it ahead of Firefox?

I am looking at getting a laptop myself, but I wasn't going to head to Vista just yet, still seems to be a hell of a lot of problems with it, and I've heard finding drivers for it are a pain in the ass.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Inferno said:
Why do you rate it ahead of Firefox?

I am looking at getting a laptop myself, but I wasn't going to head to Vista just yet, still seems to be a hell of a lot of problems with it, and I've heard finding drivers for it are a pain in the ass.

Because it is basically now a copy. Has all the tabbed browsing etc that makes Firefox what it is.

Additionally it has built in phishing filters which make it more secure than Firefox now.

Firefox didn't seem to like Vista on my puter. A lot of the keyboard shortcuts e.g. CTRL-TAB for a new tab have been used as default shortcuts by MS. You can change all those of course but why bother. Too confusing and too likely to cause a conflict. So in other words in my experience and others will differ, Firefox was rendered a pain in the arse to use for me as I'm not a mouse man and find keyboard shortcuts MUCH faster.

Lastly, love Microsoft or hate them as ever the case may be, Microsoft programs are made for Microsoft operating systems and you'll always get less problems with DLLs and conflicts if using an "arranged marriage"

Just my opinion though. To each their own in the end.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Oh BTW Inf, the only problem I've had with Vista is that it is Resource Greedy.

No problem at all finding drivers that run and run properly.

I'm not all agog with Vista but it is a fine operating system and light years ahead of other MS OSs. Just happens to be very demanding.

Tip if you get Vista. Don't load too many programs into startup. Most of those progs are TSR, terminate and stay resident which means once they load they stay in RAM even if you close them after booting.

Inferno

Coach
Hmm, I'll keep that in mind Frenzy,

I am looking at getting the core 2 duo 2.00GHZ, with at least 2 gig of Ram, so they should be enough to handle it. I suppose I'd need to get it anyway considering they made Direct X 10 Vista only.

I tried IE 7 and didn't mind it, but the rest of the family preferred IE 6 and considering I used Firefox anyway I rolled it back for them. Might suggest they get used to IE 7 though if it is a lot more secure.

Is it worth springing for the Premium or is there no real difference between it and Basic?

Latest posts