What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Kick Metres

DJDL

Bench
Is it just me?
Or is this the most pointless stat in the seemingly endless list of pointless stats which get reported across our game?

I could understand it if they only counted kicks where the objective is to gain as much territory as possible, but they count every kick.

As an example, Nicho this week is down for 696 kick metres from 22 kicks at an average of ~31 metres a kick.
On the surface some might argue that he should be kicking for more metres.

But of the 22 kicks he made, 13 were bombs and 1 was a grubber.
So in effect he only kicked for distance 8 times.
Of those 8 kicks, where was he taking them from?
From what I recall, there were not many occasions where we were kicking from deep inside our territory.
So mostly he'd have been looking to kick to the corners and gain somewhere around 40 metres.
If you're kicking from inside your 40, or even 30, then obviously you'd be trying to kick for more distance.

Of the bombs and grubbers he kicked, how many metres do we need to deduct from the total in order to figure out how many metres he gained of the 8 territorial kicks?

I honestly don't see the value in reading anything into that stat.
To me it's something akin to adding decoy runs into run metres.
Or to Chewbacca being a Wookie.
It doesn't make sense.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Is it just me?
Or is this the most pointless stat in the seemingly endless list of pointless stats which get reported across our game?

I could understand it if they only counted kicks where the objective is to gain as much territory as possible, but they count every kick.

As an example, Nicho this week is down for 696 kick metres from 22 kicks at an average of ~31 metres a kick.
On the surface some might argue that he should be kicking for more metres.

But of the 22 kicks he made, 13 were bombs and 1 was a grubber.
So in effect he only kicked for distance 8 times.
Of those 8 kicks, where was he taking them from?
From what I recall, there were not many occasions where we were kicking from deep inside our territory.
So mostly he'd have been looking to kick to the corners and gain somewhere around 40 metres.
If you're kicking from inside your 40, or even 30, then obviously you'd be trying to kick for more distance.

Of the bombs and grubbers he kicked, how many metres do we need to deduct from the total in order to figure out how many metres he gained of the 8 territorial kicks?

I honestly don't see the value in reading anything into that stat.
To me it's something akin to adding decoy runs into run metres.
Or to Chewbacca being a Wookie.
It doesn't make sense.

We only see about a 5th of them.