What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Players Agents --> Scumbags

Gronk

Staff member
Greg Inglis and Cameron Smith's agents face NRL inquest

* EXCLUSIVE by Dean Ritchie
* July 20, 2010 12:00AM

A SIX-man accreditation committee will debate whether the agents for Melbourne superstars Greg Inglis and Cameron Smith be deregistered by the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Allan Gainey - who manages Inglis - and Isaac Moses - who represents Smith - could be removed as accredited NRL agents as early as next month.

The Player Agents Accreditation Committee is seeking further information from the NRL about the Melbourne Storm salary cap fiasco before making a final decision on Gainey and Moses.

Ironically, Gainey is on the accreditation committee, a representative from the Player Managers Executive.

He would have to abstain if the matter goes to a vote.

There is also growing conflict among the player agents with some already attempting to steal players from rival managers caught up in the Storm fiasco.

A Deloitte investigation found Gainey and Moses signed two contracts for their clients Inglis and Smith.

One was an official NRL contract, the second a "side" contract with a different - and inflated - amount of money.

The accreditation committee is expected to discuss the pair's actions at its next meeting on August 19 in Sydney.

Gainey was angry yesterday when contacted by The Daily Telegraph, saying he had sought legal advice over the matter and had conclusive documentation to clear his name.

Publicly, he only said: "I've got no comment whatsoever."

One source linked to the NRL said the evidence against the two agents was "compelling".

But Moses said yesterday: "I've got no comment. We have been cleared by Deloitte. Everything is fine."

If the managers are found to have acted inappropriately, they will be given a chance to explain their behaviour to the committee.

The committee is Gainey, Martin Meredith, David Garnsey, Geoff Bellew, Jamie Barrington, Bruce Wallace and Peter Tracey.

Another leading agent, George Mimis, did not sign a "side" contract for his client, Storm star Billy Slater.

If deregistered, the NRL will refuse to register a contract negotiated by the agent.

The managers however snuck around the rule recently with Willie Mason's one-year contract at North Queensland.

With his manager Greg Keenan not accredited, Mason had his deal negotiated through a third party who was registered by the NRL.

"That was ridiculous and it shouldn't happen again," said the NRL source.

Gainey is currently negotiating a deal for Inglis at Brisbane.

Asked about managers trying to pinch players from other agents, one said: "There are some scummy agents out there trying to bad-mouth other managers.

"Don't try it with me."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...face-nrl-inquest/story-e6frexnr-1225894260070

Daneel

Bench
If you have documentation that proves your innocence maybe you should have shown deloites you germ.

If you have documentation that proves your innocence maybe you should have shown deloites you germ.
yep agree.
but why should the agents take all the fall when surely the players knew something was happening, get prove of the players knowing and de-register them as well. Be funny to see Cameron Smith crying on national TV while everybody laughs at him.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
innocent til proven guilty dude..

but gee whizz if this is true:

A Deloitte investigation found Gainey and Moses signed two contracts for their clients Inglis and Smith.

One was an official NRL contract, the second a "side" contract with a different - and inflated - amount of money.

that goes along way to clearing the player's names

SDM

First Grade
I dream of Cam Smith being given a year to think about his greed, will never happen, but I still dream every night.

strider

Post Whore
they have to intriduce a 3-way means of registering player contracts ..... it'll never stop unless the players and their managers are forced to take some responsiblity and know they are going to cop it if it all comes apart

currently i believe it just revolves around hte club getting signatures and registering it with teh NRL (ie only really a 2-way thing)

ontop of this they need to make the player (or his manager) also register what just that player's contract is with the NRL

if there ever ends up a problem then the players and the managers are in the sh*t too

and the players MUST take some interest and not play dumb all teh f**king time .... its just like your tax - your agent rorts stuff, you sign it, you pay the penalty also - can't just cop out on the, "oh i'm just a footballer, I'm too dumb" exuse - get a clue!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
at last

I've been pointing the finger at these low lifes since this drama begun and they were the ones that advised the players not to co-operate with the inquiry

they were the ones that negotiated the contracts and I reckon most players haven't even read them, "just sign here please"

nail them up I say

murraymob

Coach
players agents

my club is being held to ransom right now by them They are lined up outside mick learys office along with the combination to there bank vaults

TeHEel

Juniors
Another nothing story. Anyone know who makes up the six-man accreditation committee?? Player Agents.

So all you "boo hoo" agents are the devil will be upset with the outcome. Agents are a necessary evil, without them it would only mean that the clubs did all the screwing :p

parra pete

Referee
Player Agents...if they were such a reviled organisation and not doing their job, players would not engage them to act on their behalf.
'It's only a scam if you are not part of it'...Sounds like a dream job to me...

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
they were the ones that advised the players not to co-operate with the inquiry

they were the ones that negotiated the contracts and I reckon most players haven't even read them, "just sign here please"

and if i paid someone that much to run that side of my life for me, who could blame me for trusting them??

Players should be educated up and encouraged to represent themselves..

Stagger eel

Staff member
Player Agents...if they were such a reviled organisation and not doing their job, players would not engage them to act on their behalf.
'It's only a scam if you are not part of it'...Sounds like a dream job to me...

12 years ago, Wayne beavis made a million or 2 from the war and everyone jumped on board for a ride..

Fitzy calls him the best player manager in the game and I tend to agree with him, easily the most respected and well credentialed.

TeHEel

Juniors
and if i paid someone that much to run that side of my life for me, who could blame me for trusting them??

yeah that would be great in a perfect world. Unfortunatly a large number of these kids are not very educated as it is. Could you see them going head to head with business men with years of experience trying to cut a deal?? I don't, well not one in their favour.

Again I think they are necessary, but agree they need to be held more accountable to the NRL.

parra pete

Referee
I have a very good mate who was with one of the Management top companies, doing very nicely. He was one of the principals of the Company, but gave it away with the stress of the position. He told me It was like being a full time baby sitter..and not as cushy a job as it sounds on paper...more to it than just putting the hand out apparently..

parra pete

Referee

Trouble is Jess, a good percentage of players are not able to be educated.
Look at the way some of them misbehave in life. You can't educate blockheads..

fish eel

Immortal
If players represented themselves, they'd be getting screwed left right and centre.

Player manager are important. They just need to be made accountable for their actions and realise looking after a players interest is more than just what percentage they can get