What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Rugby League World Cup 2025

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

France has pulled out of hosting the 2025 Rugby League World Cup with organisers citing financial reasons for the decision.

The tournament was awarded to France after initial plans for it to be held in North America were scrapped.

Organisers have been unable to meet financial criteria set out by the French government, leaving the event at risk of a deficit.

The tournament was to be staged during October and November 2025.

The International Rugby League says it will now consider other options for the 2025 tournament, with the board due to meet in July.

"It's difficult to express how disappointed I am with this news," said IRL chair Troy Grant.

"There's no secret as to how important the strengthening of France as a rugby league nation is to our global game and central to our strategic plans.

"I respect the French government's decision amid the challenges they are facing but I can't hide my disappointment, that I conveyed clearly to them in person.

"Despite our focus having been on France, we will now accelerate our consideration of other contingency options."

The 2025 tournament in France was to consist of four versions of the World Cup format; men's, women's, wheelchair and youth.

England held the event in 2022, with Australia being crowned the men's and women's champions and the hosts claiming the wheelchair title.

"After the success of last autumn's Rugby League World Cup in England, it is imperative that all in the sport now work with International Rugby League to rebuild the international calendar, for men's, women's and wheelchair rugby league," said Rugby Football League chair Simon Johnson.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Wouldn't be surprised if they did it in the UK again - code seems to need the publicity/crowds/funds etc in the northern hemisphere.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Such as shame as I was planning to go there for the tournament, and havent been to France before, I was going to enjoy a great trip. I suppose I will go there eventually, dont know.

As for the hosts, Qatar?? Really?? Haha.

Surely it should be in NZ and other pacific nations.