What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ot. Rules in the game.which annoy us

saint-stefano

Juniors
i say get rid of the six again rule for starters my opinion the refs can control which team wins i hate this rule , also the play the ball stop this bullshit of rolling the ball without being touched get up and play the ball correctly ,knock ons i say its only a knock on when it hits the ground if competeing for it in the air dosent matter who it hits and how many times who ever ends up with the ball in the air its theres and last bring back the shoulder charge and bring back the biff the game defiantly needs it ,its becomeing boreing .

since77

Juniors
99 left some long long lasting scars hey
Yeah but apart from the brick with eyes doing handstands after the game I can mostly cope with '99 25 years later....don't get me started though on blatant forwards passes in the second half, Mundine bombing match winning try, missed conversions and the mental weakness that started in the 90's and still stains the modern Dragons DNA.....

But back to the purple merkins. I hate those pr*cks for being the grubbiest team in the NRL. For inventing every modern wrestling move. For cheating being the most important identifiable part of their DNA. For arguing over a penalty while a guy lies paralysed on the ground. For rorting the salary cap and then having the gall to still celebrate the GF's they cheated to "win". They're a cancer on the game and it makes me sick listening to commentators wax lyrical about them. And for their self entitled inbred rent a crowd fanbase that would desert them instantly if they started missing the finals year upon year upon year......
Yep, I hate ' em.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
But back to the purple merkins. I hate those pr*cks for being the grubbiest team in the NRL. For inventing every modern wrestling move. For cheating being the most important identifiable part of their DNA. For arguing over a penalty while a guy lies paralysed on the ground. For rorting the salary cap and then having the gall to still celebrate the GF's they cheated to "win". They're a cancer on the game and it makes me sick listening to commentators wax lyrical about them. And for their self entitled inbred rent a crowd fanbase that would desert them instantly if they started missing the finals year upon year upon year......
Yep, I hate ' em.
So true this. How their coach can be treated like coaching royalty makes me sick. As if he was never aware of the salary cap cheating and all these chicken wings, rolling pins, crushers etc that came in the game. Any other code and the coach is banned for life, yet the NRL have him as an immortal.

And to celebrate winning the premierships during the salary cap rorts is the biggest kick in the guts and so disrespectful.

Cleary has been in 4 GF's in a row of which he won 3 in a row and the last 3 years coach of the year awards went to Bellamy, Payten and Webster. Go figure. Cleary is the best NRL coach since Jack Gibson retired as he has achieved a 3 peat which Bellamy and Bennett could not and they had the NRL on their knees to help them.

HenryTatana

Juniors
Also the player takes one step to the side to play the ball so the dummy half can scoot out the other side.
Surrender tackles, if you push the player in one motion into the in goal or over the sideline you get penalised, as the refs call held as soon as you touch them, what a crock of shit, teams get penalised for putting in a good kick and chase basically, kickers cant win, if its caught on the full in goal 7 tackle , if it trickles over the dead ball line 7 tackles, if the kicker put in a good kick and fullback/winger just gets out and dives on the ground, he is tackled, no wonder we see the predictable 5 tackles and bomb which lands around the 20m line...
Further to this is a 7 tackle set for an unsuccessful field goal attempt. f**king idiots.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
NBA after a year a getting rid of the video system they used for games. The English Premier League (Soccer) clubs will be voting on whether to keep the VAR system (their Bunker) for next season.

Hopefully this common sense spreads to all codes including the NRL. If it is not guaranteed to improve refereeing then why spend so much a year on it.

Trifili13

Juniors
I also hate the narrative that the Dragon's only won the GF in 2010 because the Storm were busted for cheating the salary cap. Well they lost the 2006 and 2008 GF's, were stripped of 2007 and 2009 and did not make it in 2011. So why would they have won in 2010? I think there is a greater probability that they would not have made all of those GF's if they had not rorted the cap.

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All, all opinions on this post valid.

Rugby League’s greatest asset is also its greatest problem. RL is a game refereed on advantage. It is fast, continuous, brutal, exciting and has a very limited reset. Every tackle play has an infringement possibility(s) of a penalty and the ref has to constantly decide ‘advantage’; instantaneous decisions as to whether an infringement is sufficiently serious to merit punishment or causes a genuine disadvantage to one side or the other.

The modern game has now created so many ‘tweaks’ meant to ‘solve’ one perceived issue that then cause 2 other unintended issues. It is what it is, and every game will have inconsistencies, 50/50 calls, controversial moments. This is the nature of the game. We either ride the roller coaster or give up and say take up sailing or something instead haha.

My last observation is wait until ( maybe not?) the game adopts computer chip balls which measure the projection of passes to ascertain if forward or not. If adopted that will be real fun n games😂

I agree with pretty much every thing posted but additionally the allocation of two points for a bye makes the NRL table very misleading and difficult to follow. It's ridiculous when there are situations where a team with more wins is below a team with less wins.

3 byes = a bloody nightmare

Just piss the 2 points for a bye off

Easy to look at games played V's points with the most wins always on top!

justadragon

Bench
I agree with pretty much every thing posted but additionally the allocation of two points for a bye makes the NRL table very misleading and difficult to follow. It's ridiculous when there are situations where a team with more wins is below a team with less wins.

3 byes = a bloody nightmare

Just piss the 2 points for a bye off

Easy to look at games played V's points with the most wins always on top!
HOD i think its the intent of the NRL to have no bye's but for the moment it adds that sense of mystery, just like playing the top teams during SOO without their origin players.

2010Dragons

Bench
I hate the six agains given to the attacking team close to the opponents try line. It's as if the ref is just waiting and waiting to ping the defending team and he is relieved that he can wave his arm to signal the extra tackles for the attacking team to barge over and score. Not only once but a couple of times. You can just sense that it will happen like it is orchestrated.

Mind you I am truly grateful that the attacking team is the Dragons haha!
The games are no longer referred by the refs.
Every game is orchestrated….basically staged by the referees six again. Outcomes are decided by this stupid rule.

BLM01

First Grade
The games are no longer referred by the refs.
Every game is orchestrated….basically staged by the referees six again. Outcomes are decided by this stupid rule.
Watching the Souths v Cowboys, it seems to be evident when near the end and one team has momentum trying to come back that the bunker and ref will find anything to keep an advantage going to add excitement to the games around miracle comebacks
The commentators talk about how a team can suddenly just roll when the first 70 they cant.
Although as usual the bunker over react to slo-mo and find absolute howlers just by what looks bad instead of common sense.
Souths did not deserve a player in the bin, yes he hit in the head but was in the process of falling
The bunker think players react and can change / move in slo-mo time
We also have new rules about when is a knock on or lost possession
I give up with these reactive interpretations, that is my pet hate

Yeah but apart from the brick with eyes doing handstands after the game I can mostly cope with '99 25 years later....don't get me started though on blatant forwards passes in the second half, Mundine bombing match winning try, missed conversions and the mental weakness that started in the 90's and still stains the modern Dragons DNA.....

Yep, I hate ' em.
Agree with all of the above except the bit about the wrestling.
Was it not our own Brian "Smell of Newtown" Smith that had our lads doing Greco-Roman wrestling in the early 90s?

2010Dragons

Bench
Watching the Souths v Cowboys, it seems to be evident when near the end and one team has momentum trying to come back that the bunker and ref will find anything to keep an advantage going to add excitement to the games around miracle comebacks
The commentators talk about how a team can suddenly just roll when the first 70 they cant.
Although as usual the bunker over react to slo-mo and find absolute howlers just by what looks bad instead of common sense.
Souths did not deserve a player in the bin, yes he hit in the head but was in the process of falling
The bunker think players react and can change / move in slo-mo time
We also have new rules about when is a knock on or lost possession
I give up with these reactive interpretations, that is my pet hate
I’ve come to the conclusions the NRL doesn’t care about the fans. The fans are walking away from this once beautiful brutal SIMPLE game which has now evolved into a staged wrestling spectacle purely to get TV ratings and more money in their pockets. So Graham Anneslley can come out on Monday and say sorry referees are human they make mistakes.
Well I’m calling bullshit. The games are staged with this stupid 6 again rules to make it a fast spectacular game. Who cares about the fans. Just turn game into a farce.

Last edited:

Victoire

Juniors
The fans are walking away from this once beautiful brutal SIMPLE game which has now evolved into a staged wrestling spectacle purely to get TV ratings and more money in their pockets.
Is there a bit of cognitive dissonance in this sentence? If the fans are "walking away", then how does the league "get tv ratings and more money"? Aside from the tv ratings factor, attendance at the games themselves is up by 7.43% on last year as well. So fans are walking towards the game...

st.phil

Bench
so many but the most irritating and obvious one is to STOP THE CLOCK when the ball is out of play or conversion / penalty kick is happening. Of all the bushleague stuff that still exists in the NRL - this has to be numero uno.

In a close second would be 7 tackle set for dropping the ball over the line and no penalty for a failed short dropout.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Is there a bit of cognitive dissonance in this sentence? If the fans are "walking away", then how does the league "get tv ratings and more money"? Aside from the tv ratings factor, attendance at the games themselves is up by 7.43% on last year as well. So fans are walking towards the game...
possibly …it’s interesting isn’t it…?saturation and promotion of the game has no doubt contributed to the ratings. Maybe the argument could be if they adjusted the rules that people are voicing here and amongst many conversations from long time watchers maybe the ratings would be up 15%-20%. Maybe the previous poster was right they don’t care…..they’ll just build a new audience. I can’t stand 20 -20 cricket but love test cricket; two different games imo. See my footy watching going the same way…..unfortunately

since77

Juniors
I'd rather they moved to:

4 points for a regular-time win
3 points for a golden point win
2 points for a tie
1 point for a golden point loss

And 0 points for the Storm. Always.
Yeah still not a fan of golden point, at least in regular season matches. And agree with the points changes. If they're going to have golden point in regular season, the "losing" team should still get something for being level after 80 minutes.

2010Dragons

Bench
Sorry my bad. I haven’t explained my rant properly.
You seem to forget Covid times. No fans at the game were allowed. The FA TV, KAYO, and Foxtel ratings and subscriptions sky rocketed 1000%.
NRL many times have hinted we don’t need bums on seats at the grounds. The above mentioned stakeholders pay more than tickets sold at the game.
Watching the game on a screen at home and not witnessing the ridiculous GREY subjective calls made by one ref this week then let go by another ref next week live at the game is ruining the game for hardcore rusted on fans like me. Yes I go to almost every home game.

It’s the casual supporters who also watch the AFL and the NRL will decide if this game will grow.
AFL in Melbourne gets over 70000 fans to just 1 local game. And over 20000 to just a training session.
We will be lucky to get 10000 to our next game against the Dogs.
Get rid of the subjective new rules or never grow the game support bigger.