What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Speed Cameras

jackal

Juniors
There are cameras that photograph you head on. Not so sure around the metro area, but definately on the highways.

As for school zones being 40 - what ever increases safety for kids is good. Its not irrational to drive at that speed for a selected short distance.

At 40km you have a chance of pulling up once hitting the anchors.

samshark

Juniors
Those ones are not speed cameras. They are RTA cameras that feed back to the control centre in Eveleigh.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Read an interesting story the other day how those black boxes they build into cars nowadays are being used in some American states to investigate serious motor vehicle collisions.

The Popper

Bench
It's all very simple you know. The NSW Labor Party hates the people of NSW.
Speed kills they say..........not always...................look at the Autobahns of Germany. It's the poor roads, lack of a visible police presence, and constant distractions (e.g. always checking the speedo and the constantly changing speed signs at the side of the road) which are the real killers. The NSW Govt. could not give a damn about `savings lives'...............the priority is revenue raising. Don't believe their lies.

I speed because I figure I get to where I am going faster and therefore spend less time on the road thereby reducing my exposure to potential road incidents and therefore decreasing my risk profile.

Get it.

samshark

Juniors
You are incorrect - they issue fines and take the photo head-on.

There are no current speed cameras that photograph you head on and issue fines.

If the cameras you are talking about are the ones that are mounted on bridges/roads etc that cross over motorways looking straight at you, they are the ones feeding back to the control centre for traffic problems. Otherwise there are speed cameras mounted on the sides of the road often in the same positions in both directions. It may look like they are set up to photograph you head on but they are photographing the opposite direction of traffic.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Speed kills they say..........not always...................look at the Autobahns of Germany. It's the poor roads, lack of a visible police presence, and constant distractions (e.g. always checking the speedo and the constantly changing speed signs at the side of the road) which are the real killers. The NSW Govt. could not give a damn about `savings lives'...............the priority is revenue raising. Don't believe their lies.

100% Correct Pops.

Eion

First Grade

If the cameras you are talking about are the ones that are mounted on bridges/roads etc that cross over motorways looking straight at you, they are the ones feeding back to the control centre for traffic problems. Otherwise there are speed cameras mounted on the sides of the road often in the same positions in both directions. It may look like they are set up to photograph you head on but they are photographing the opposite direction of traffic.
The ones on bridges are often there to monitor truck journeys. None are speed cameras that I am aware of (if they were there'd be signs - and I would have lost my licence).

Generalzod

Immortal
I still don't understand why there are speed cameras on the Princess Highway at Kograh (St George Tech), where pedestrians can use the overpass to cross the road...There is no need for them.

Eion

First Grade
What's not to understand General - the state govt is the scum of the earth and they want to bludge money any way they can.

The Dodger

First Grade

best post of the thread.

build shiit roads.
advise unsafe to drive.
implement speed limits and fines for those who break these limits.
raise revenue to continue to build more shiit roads and pocket the rest.

I speed because I figure I get to where I am going faster and therefore spend less time on the road thereby reducing my exposure to potential road incidents and therefore decreasing my risk profile.

Get it.
lol

im using that next time someone asks me

have a look at the camera on the hume highway at bankstown (near three swallows hotel).
That camera does both ways.

i was told the infa red cameras are able to do this.

jackal

Juniors
But earlier you posted this

samshark said:
I am not sure about the fancy new all in one cameras that are rolling out but the existing cameras that have been around for a while only photograph the rear of the car. Dont think its to do with Privacy, more the case that in NSW its not compulsory to have a front number plate on your car
You don't really know at all - and that is your own admission as above.

With due respect Samshark - im not guessing, i know the cameras down the coast photograph you head on. This i am quite positive of.

rotti

Juniors
The cameras operate 24 hours per day, seven days a week, but are programmed to detect vehicles exceeding 40 km/h during the sign-posted school zone times*. These times are usually 8:00 am - 9.30 am and 2.30 pm - 4:00 pm on school days. At other times the cameras will detect vehicles exceeding the general posted speed limit, commonly 60 km/h. Most school zone cameras detect speeding vehicles in both directions of travel.

The above was taken from the RTA website http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras.

The camera on Presidents Ave outside Gymea Public works in both directions, I know this from experience.

Generalzod

Immortal
The cameras operate 24 hours per day, seven days a week, but are programmed to detect vehicles exceeding 40 km/h during the sign-posted school zone times*. These times are usually 8:00 am - 9.30 am and 2.30 pm - 4:00 pm on school days. At other times the cameras will detect vehicles exceeding the general posted speed limit, commonly 60 km/h. Most school zone cameras detect speeding vehicles in both directions of travel.

The above was taken from the RTA website http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras.

The camera on Presidents Ave outside Gymea Public works in both directions, I know this from experience.

You mean St Catherines yeah It works both ways....

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
hang on, I know there are cameras that work in both directions but i still believe that there are no cameras that photograph head on.