What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: UK Super League - Changing the game ridiculously

Frenzy.

Immortal
Inter Miami's Argentine forward Lionel is a massive attraction in the American MLS football competition. Picture: Chandan Khanna/AFP
“We can’t do everything. We would need people on the ground with the drive and passion to run an American NRL competition.

“That’s not our aim with Vegas, our aim is to grow our eyeballs on the NRL competition with Americans. That’s first and foremost our primary consideration.

“People don’t realise the power of us connecting with America.

“I’m not talking benefits in the tens of millions, I’m talking hundreds of millions but only if the strategy is properly implemented and I am making sure we dot every I and cross every T.

“Our success here won’t happen overnight.

“It won’t happen in one year. But if our figures are correct and our commitment is long term, there could be more revenue coming to us from America than Australia, simply because of the scale of the population.

“Even if you get one per cent of the population in America, it’s worth hundreds of millions to us.”

Under the Rugby League America proposal, five franchises would be based in the east and five in the west for a 10-team league.

Each would sign 26 full-time players for a season that runs from April to September.

The NRL is ready to take over Las Vegas’s Allegiant Stadium. Picture: Grant Trouville

The NRL is ready to take over Las Vegas’s Allegiant Stadium. Picture: Grant Trouville
The RLA consortium has been working on the NRL America plan for five years. Last month, deals were struck with a major hotel partner and US airline to cover accommodation and travel.

The consortium is in talks with US TV broadcasters. Scanlan, who played two seasons for American side New Haven Warriors in 2006-07, hopes NRL clubs would be keen to form affiliate ties.

“Ideally, we’d love to have NRL clubs buying the licences and having them operate the NARL teams as affiliate clubs,” he said.

More Coverage​

$3m war chest: Roosters’ hit list has NRL, rugby rivals on notice
Saint, sinner, shoosh: Phone call tipped NRL, Cowboys to Leilua DUI
“We already had this competition proposal under way and when the NRL said they were going to Vegas, it was the perfect alignment.

“There is still a lot of hard work to be done.

“We don’t necessarily expect the NRL to invest financially but if we could have co-branding and form a partnership with the NRL, this can be an untapped goldmine.’’

Originally published as Coming to America: NRL in secret talks for $23m US Super League

gifting-float

R-15-3

Bench
It actually makes a lot of sense and dare say if done correctly could work. It’s a long offseason in the NFL and could gain a cult following that spills over to Australian NRL.
Needs some mega stars to own a team like a Rogan, Crow , Jackman etc
Even US games televised in Australia could generate some coin.
At the cost they are talking the Sharks should be all over a team the leverage on sponsorship dollars would be massive.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Then the yanks start to throw ridiculous amounts of money at the Aus talent and the NRL realise what they have just done.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Yawn. Will never work. Americans are in their own bubble and mostly don’t give a f**k about anything that happens outside of it. Might get a few hits on YouTube or something and a small interest around Vegas while it’s on there but after that it’s back to baseball, NFL, NBA and whatever the f**k else goes on in that shit country

shadowboxer

First Grade
I had to check as I thought it was the 1st April. I admire shooting for the stars, but will probally end up landing on the moon

coolumsharkie

Referee
Yawn. Will never work. Americans are in their own bubble and mostly don’t give a f**k about anything that happens outside of it. Might get a few hits on YouTube or something and a small interest around Vegas while it’s on there but after that it’s back to baseball, NFL, NBA and whatever the f**k else goes on in that shit country
This is true, the AFL did it in the 90's. I remember it being on prime time TV over there for a while. It's a flash in the pan situation that will bring in some eyeball revenue for a little while, maybe.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Cable is slowly dieing in the US.
So for the NRL if they were hypothetically get this up and running, streaming service would probably take the rights.
Question would be what quality of players will there be.
NRL potentially propping up the UK game and the yanks, I just can't see how it works.
I hope Vlandys hasn't got in over his head

Stake Removed

First Grade
I can already see the next Vlandys venture games in Saudi Arabia.
Big money there, get Greg Norman in to deal with them

Stake Removed

First Grade
With Vlandys and all this business UK, USA it has a familiar ring to it, this all was on the table 30 years ago, all he needs is Murdoch

carinashark

First Grade
The ref in that WCC had an absolute nightmare. Wigan’s winning try was at least 30cm from the line yet he sent it upstairs as a try. Also there was hands under the ball as well so it beggars belief as to how that ref saw that as a try. Then the strip call towards the end, two players drop off and Martin pinches it off the Wigan player. Penalty.

what a turkey
That whole game was rigged in Wig’s favour.