What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Anthem

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
woodgers said:
My opinion has always been the same on our anthem. It sucks plain and simple. I believe a national anthem should stir the emotions of those that sing it, instill a sense of pride and actually make you want to sing it. Ours does none of those things. I often think that a lot of people are probably on the same page as myself and would like a different one but they can't change it now, it's too late really.
Agreed, woodgers. I guess in a way the national anthem is what makes you realise that it is a test match (or international fixture). Maybe that is why we tend to think other national anthems are better than ours. In other words, we hear our national anthem played in other places especially at school. I'm sure everybody heard it played at least once a week in primary and at least once a term in high school. I'm sure there would be plenty of other places it is played - just can't name any at the minute.

Also, woodgers, I believe that they changed to Advance Australia Fair from God Save the Queen in 1977. Advance Australia Fair was written late 1800's so it took nearly a century for them to start using it. So they should be able to change it of they wanted to :)

thickos said:
Mate I'm sure you had goosebumps at the Uruguay match when the crowd belted out the anthem. It sounded fantastic.
Agree though on the Kiwi national anthem, it is just incredible when heard at sporting events etc - really fires up the crowd.

I wasn't at the ground for the Uruguay match :)() but it was fantastic to listen to just because of the magnitude of the event. But then, listening to just about anything provided it was our national anthem would have been good on this occasion. I wouldn't mind if they started using that new upbeat version of Advance Australia Fair. Just listening to the current anthem doesn't do anything for me - especially when the singer sucks.

Valiant_Raider

Juniors
with religious tensions at an all time high it is time for a holiday where religious overtones are thrown out the window and replaced by an aluminium pole

Hannukah :arrow:
Christmas :arrow:
Festivus :thumb

greeneyed

First Grade
You have the Christians and Jewish people covered... but not the Muslims, Buddhists etc.... It is the Christian/Jewish/Muslim divide that is the problem...

My solution? Ditch all religions and this or that God. They have been beneficial in many ways in civilising the world, but for the most part, have been divisive, caused many wars and have produced detriment to the well being of the world.

We should all just believe in the value of human life, the rights of people to live their lives and make choices, and the world would be a lot better place.

jed

First Grade
greeneyed said:
We should all just believe in the value of human life, the rights of people to live their lives and make choices, and the world would be a lot better place.
Telling people what they should believe in, where's the free will in that? Sounds to me like you're proposing a dictatorship, where people should live according to your values. :p

Boing Boing

Juniors
jed said:
Telling people what they should believe in, where's the free will in that? Sounds to me like you're proposing a dictatorship, where people should live according to your values. :p

This will get messy.

Raider_69

Post Whore
jed said:

those values are deadset certs, or should be, sure if he was saying "we all should believe in allah/buddah/jesus" or what ever but he is saying we should all believe value in human life, to me thats just a gimmies

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
those values are deadset certs, or should be, sure if he was saying "we all should believe in allah/buddah/jesus" or what ever but he is saying we should all believe value in human life, to me thats just a gimmies
I agree with you 69. Basically, anything that protects basic human rights should be a given. As soon as you start forcing things on people in which they should really have a choice about it, that is when it crosses the line.

But greeneyed, I'm not sure if your solution will work. I'm not really sure where it will benefit those living in the third world :|

Loz

Juniors
I'm with Sully.

At least in our anthem we're singing about our country and not singing about a flag or a person.

Leethal

Juniors
I'm with Sully
Over my cold, dead body.

At least in our anthem we're singing about our country and not singing about a flag or a person

Yeah, f*ck the Queen,f*ck the Stars and Stripes and f*ck the new sedition laws.

Has there ever been a greater Aussie song than Men at Work's "Down Under"??

Colin Hay for P.M.

Sully

Juniors
Hrundi...

Mate, Down under is a classic Aussie Anthem.

Lethal with you 100%!!!

Its time Aussies took more pride like we are at the moment.

Latest posts