What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

our lack of world class 3/4's

roughyedspud

Coach
can be laid solely at the feet of the clowns that run the clubs academy and under 16/15's

my mates son is on the books at wigan,he's 15 and 6'4" with a athletic build..ie not a fat lad..he's quick too..and where are wigan warriors under 16's playing him??? FRIGGIN PROP!

he's a center if i ever saw one...but because of his size they've dumped him in the front row..its a joke

rant over

JasonE

Bench
Is he from Oldham Spud ?

I've got the u/15 & 16 scholarship games, i'll watch them again and see how he goes.

roughyedspud

Coach
yep...nathan mason he's called ,think he's been playing 8..

theres a few oldham lads in the wigan under 15/16's

roughyedspud

Coach
if joel tomkins had any sense he'd ask to be shifted to the centres....no one is gonna split ellis & burgess in the england team..

roughyedspud

Coach
i know you was'nt.....i was saying tomkins should look to the centres because ellis and burgess have the 2ndrow locked out..

RedVee

First Grade
In the NRl centres and 2nd rowers are basically interchangeable items.
EXCEPT for the elite centres.... which are the ones you guys are missing.
I'll scream if that big, bald bugger gets a run in the 4nations again this year.

roughyedspud

Coach
why did you say "in the NRL"??? in RL the world over centres & 2nd rowers are basically interchangeable.

and theres only 1 elite centre in the whole world...greg inglis..everyone else is just normal

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
why did you say "in the NRL"??? in RL the world over centres & 2nd rowers are basically interchangeable.

and theres only 1 elite centre in the whole world...greg inglis..everyone else is just normal

Got to disagree there. Its pretty obvious that in Europe, second rowers are more tight forwards. There are really not that many wide running second rowers over there. Here, players like Watmough, Glen Stewart, Ben Creagh, Ryan Hoffman, Ben Smith, all wide running second rowers, I look over in the Super League and I dont see many English wide running second rowers, especially the top second rowers. Theyre all good workers, but I cant think of one that is noted for his line breaks and ball playing.

And id say Justin Hodges and Mark Gasnier are elite centers aswell.

roughyedspud

Coach
nah hodges & gasnier are world class......GI is above that

though i will add that hodges has never really "done it" when it matters...sure he looks good when he's running other the small guys or smashing wingers into touch like he did to steve turner a couple of seasons ago...abit like keith senior really,he looks the part but never delivers when it counts ie finals or internationals

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
Saints have good running second rowers.

A lot of England second rowers started as centres and were not good enough to play there so moved to the second row.

Hopefully with clubs actually trying to coach skills then some of these players will become top centres. Just because someone is big don't mean they will be good though.

hutch

First Grade
i think leon pryce could of definately been a world class centre, i dont know why he has never played there. if he moved there for st helens i think he could still solve a centre problem for england. ive always rated his ability running the ball, although thanks to channel 9 havnt seen too many games this year.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Id still say he would be a better fullback. He runs through the line very well. Im sure center he would be good too, better then five eight at least.

Hudds lad

Juniors
Ryan Atkins was overlooked for the France game and is probably the best centre in SL in my opinion. Young Leroy Cudjoe seems to have found his best position at centre too.

JasonE

Bench
can be laid solely at the feet of the clowns that run the clubs academy and under 16/15's

my mates son is on the books at wigan,he's 15 and 6'4" with a athletic build..ie not a fat lad..he's quick too..and where are wigan warriors under 16's playing him??? FRIGGIN PROP!

he's a center if i ever saw one...but because of his size they've dumped him in the front row..its a joke

rant over

Hey Spud,
Nathan Mason is now with the Huddersfield Giants and should be in Australia in the next few days with their Scholarship squad, they are playing three games, one up in Forster (i think) and two games in Sydney v Wests Tigers and Manly.

He is 6 ft 5in, big lad.

I should be at both Sydney games so i'll let you know how he goes, a couple more players from Oldham in the squad are Kyle Mayall and Jake Shoel, they played for Wigan and St Helens until recently.

Latest posts