What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Spine for 2019

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm going for:

1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes

In other words no change from 2018. We saw how effective that can be in the finals game v the Broncos.

14. Norman - to play the Kurt Mann role for 2019, rotating through Widdop and/or Dufty.

Anyway, many people have varying ideas of the spine, tbh we wont know anything until game day rd1.
But it is fun to speculate.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
It doesn't matter who plays where
My concern is our forward pack
With The wandering dick missing - we need someone to step up to cover his commendable work load

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Would you trust this man to make decisions about your spine?

2lbp1g2.png

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Before everyone jumps onto the Wud
Widdop at fullback scenario, its pertinent to look at a few stats:

Widdop has played 5 games at fullback in his 10yr career.
In 2018; widdop v Dufty was:
W - 5th in try assists (17) : D - eq24th (9)
Not in top 50 for LB : D 16th
5th in LB assists (14) : D eq 34th (7)
W: not in top 50 : D 9th (105)
17th in kicks in general play : D N/a
18th in missed tackles wirh 72 : D not in the top 50
Eq 2nd in general errors (34) : 8th (29)
Eq 8th in handling errors (13) : D 9th (12)
W - not in top 50 for running metres : D eq 11th (3215m)

Widdop is also now 29yrs old, 30 in March next year. I doubt he has the legs to be an effective fullback imo and stats tend to back that up.

getsmarty

Immortal
Corey Norman v Matt Dufty v Gareth Widdop: Why Dragons recruit is no guarantee for fullback
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

0ad1c179f7a6f034d174681af152c9c8

The Dragons have three fullback options for 2019.Source: FOX SPORTS
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor faces a welcome backline headache in 2019 following the club’s acquisition of Corey Norman.
The talented five-eighth or fullback will join the Dragons on a three-year deal from next season in a move that will strengthen the Red V’s attack.

The biggest question mark that lingers is how the backline will now look.

“Straight away, there will be speculation around the position he’ll play and that’ll be up to the coach,” Dragons recruitment boss Ian Millward said.

Round 1
“We feel Corey as a quality player will give Paul an opportunity to work with some really outstanding talent.”

Some are tipping Norman to take over the No.1 jumper, leaving incumbent Matt Dufty facing the prospect of reserve grade or a positional switch.

But Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop also has some experience in the custodian role from his time playing for Melbourne and England.

So who is best suited to the role?

Numbers provided by Fox Sports Lab show that particularly in the battle between Norman and Dufty, the latter should feel hard done by to lose his spot.

The former Brisbane and Parramatta star has intermittently started at fullback throughout his career for a total of 32 games.

In those matches, it’s clear Norman has been relied on for his ballplaying, having 34.3 possessions per game.

He’s managed to notch up a total of 19 linebreak assists, 13 try assists, 13 offloads, 10 linebreaks and 89 tackle busts.

His running game has also been strong with 14.7 runs per game for an average of 130 metres.

MATT DUFTY

The young livewire has only appeared at fullback in his 33-game NRL career, starting on 32 occasions — he came off the bench in Round 24 this year against Canterbury.

It’s no secret speed is Dufty’s main attribute and he’s burned more than one opponent to date.

Because of that blistering pace, he trumps Norman when it comes to tackle busts (126) and linebreaks (24). He also edges out his new teammate in try assists with 15.

Another important area where Dufty comes out in top is his ability to find the tryline, and he’s done so on 19 occasions to Norman’s three.

Dufty’s possessions are much lower with 21.4 per game, while his runs (10.8) and metres (113) are lower than Norman. His linebreak assists (14) are also lower.

GARETH WIDDOP

The Englishman has started at fullback in just six NRL games and a further five at international level, so his statisitics are limited.

He also played a host of games in the No.1 jumper in through the junior grades, and it was in the 2009 Under 20s grand final where he helped the Storm to a title with two tries.

Across his top level games, Widdop, like Norman, has clearly been more of a playmaker with 33.1 possessions per game.

He’s scored five tries and set up another six, along with six linebreaks, 10 linebreak assists and 34 tackle busts.

While his numbers are hard to compare to the other fullback contenders, his ballplaying figures are arguably more impressive in his international games compared to the NRL which also highlights his development as a player.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/30be82367a9edfa2ce57ecfa7742195a

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Now that we have Norman on board, there are many options available for the make-up of our spine. My preference is the following:

1. Widdop
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes / Robson in rotation

I like it possm.
Most probably how it will end up.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The spine I would go with from game one is

1 Dufty
6 Widdop
7 Norman
9 Hunt

That would give us X factor at fullback and hooker. A halfback who will go to the line, who has a very good attacking kicking game and who is one of the best at controlling the game control the game and a class 5/8 who runs, ball plays and kicks.

I would be giving Dufty first crack at fullback, but he would know he has to produce.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The spine I expect Mary will pick is

1 Widdop
6 Norman
7 Hunt
9 McInnes

I heard somewhere that Mary intends to play Widdop fullback. I haven't seen Widdop play fullback, I don't watch international footy anymore, so I didn't see him play there for England. It may work very well? He will certainly be able to provide the extra 5/8 role. He will have an extra bit of room to move in, which could work to his advantage. I haven't really given the idea of Widdop playing fullback much thought, but the more I think about it, the more I think it could work. What will Widdop's defence be like at fullback, even the best fullbacks are made to look silly at times. How will Widdop be under the high ball? Will his positional play be good enough?

mickeylane

Bench
Been thinking of this as I’m about to buy my season pass today (yay!!) . I think McGregor is quite loyal and won’t disrupt the 2018 spine for round 1.
Dufty
Widdop
Hunt
Mciness
What I think will happen though is less minutes for Mciness and maybe Hunt as Norman starts at 14 and comes on around 30 min mark in the 7 role w Hunt to Hooker .. what happens in the 2nd half of a game will depend but I honestly see Norman coming in nice and fresh when the game has settled and making an impact - in fact the dragons could step up a gear w Hunt at hooker and Norman at 7 when that change happens as the creativity options are mind boggling!

Basically as a team we have swapped out Mann for Norman which already makes this team a step above last years team.. all in all happy days ahead .
#Duftywillstartatfullback

watatank

Coach
Dufty is surplus to requirements now. Could still get a chance through injury what someone leaving, obviously.

Widdop could play fullback every so often but I don't think he could do it week to week any more. Don't know if he could handle the extra running and getting smashed on the kick returns amongst other things. Norman to me is better suited. I think we could see something where Norman and Widdop swap between halves and fullback, maybe even in the middle of games at times. It wouldn't really matter that much in attack anyway, because we'd expect them (Hunt, Widdop, Norman) all to be moving around and swapping.

1. Norman
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Robson

Old Timer

Coach
With so many newbies in the club getting a back 3 combo will be difficult enough let alone by changing everything.
I fully expect Dufty & Pereira to fill 2 position and Pearson most likely the other wing spot.
To drop Dufty straight up would IMO place even more pressure on the back 3 by having either Widdop or Norman playing out of their customary position.
Dusty either improves quickly or packs his bags one or the other so why waste any further time by having him in ISP?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The real problem is depth. With Mann gone, Field very raw, Nicholls very ploddy and JDB likely out, where are our backups in the halves?!

This emphasises the absurd decision to recruit a (then) 29 year-old halfback (Nicholls) with ZERO NRL experience.

One of the weirdest (not to mention grossly inadequate) acquisitions SGI have made since inception.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With so many newbies in the club getting a back 3 combo will be difficult enough let alone by changing everything.
I fully expect Dufty & Pereira to fill 2 position and Pearson most likely the other wing spot.
To drop Dufty straight up would IMO place even more pressure on the back 3 by having either Widdop or Norman playing out of their customary position.
Dusty either improves quickly or packs his bags one or the other so why waste any further time by having him in ISP?

Agree OT
Its really square pegs in round holes, trying to fit players in just for the sake of it.
Widdop to fullback is one
Hunt to hooker is another
Both of these examples just have zero weight when you analyze the player and the positional requirements, but hey lets slot them in for a whole season because they played a game or 2 there several years ago.
The biggest conjecture facing selection for me is not the wingers but who gets the right centre spot. This decision has an impact on both defense and attack. Get it wrong and it wouldnt matter if we had JAC on the wing or Tedesco at fullback, it would look very ugly. Get it right and it wouldnt matter who was pkaying winger or fullback, they would have a much easier time both defensively and in attack.
Something like we saw in the us v Broncos finals game.

Imo that one spot will have such a profound impact on our season.
I just hope the "coaching" staff gets it right.

Old Timer

Coach
Agree OT
Its really square pegs in round holes, trying to fit players in just for the sake of it.
Widdop to fullback is one
Hunt to hooker is another
Both of these examples just have zero weight when you analyze the player and the positional requirements, but hey lets slot them in for a whole season because they played a game or 2 there several years ago.
The biggest conjecture facing selection for me is not the wingers but who gets the right centre spot. This decision has an impact on both defense and attack. Get it wrong and it wouldnt matter if we had JAC on the wing or Tedesco at fullback, it would look very ugly. Get it right and it wouldnt matter who was pkaying winger or fullback, they would have a much easier time both defensively and in attack.
Something like we saw in the us v Broncos finals game.

Imo that one spot will have such a profound impact on our season.
I just hope the "coaching" staff gets it right.
I agree 100%
The biggest questions for me that need to be answered.
  1. Right centre should be Lomax without question (I actually think both centres are an issue but either way we will get Lafai or Aitken in the LC position)
  2. Wingers this is enormous with ramifications for the FB position as well.
  3. Where does Norman actually play (bench for mine)
  4. If JDB is gone who goes to 13.
  5. Will Mc Fookknuckle dispense with Lats and finally get the bench right.