What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of the remaining options for coach.. who would you like?

TimW05

Juniors
If the head coaching role came available tomorrow who would you like to see fill it..

i know 95% of us would love to see wayne bennett but he would not be released from his stgi deal..

so who else would we like to see have a crack?

Last edited:
Graham Murray
Neil Henry
Phil Gould
Laurie Daley
John Cartwright
Des Hasler

Anyone but David Furner. He is f**king hopeless

Steve Folkes?

There isnt too many experienced coaches who dont have a contract for next year. Ricky Stuart but I dont think he would improve us.

schnitzel

Juniors
What are the chances of neil henry coming back? On the outer at cows. But would we even want him considering his record with the best player in the world in his team and the way he deserted us?..

I reckon Steve Folkes.

typicalfan

Coach
Henry would be good as he already would know most of the talent and this time wouldn't have origin to disrupt him.

edabomb

First Grade
I don't think it's worth talking about till we know who is interested. That is the big mistake the club made in not advertising last time around, left Furner open for slaughter. If there had been options explored and he was the best man for the job I'd give him a lot more leniancy.

bileduct

Coach
I'd go with Ricky Stuart only because I think our halves would be a lot better under him than Furner.

Other than that... Steve Folkes.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
id be happy with Nathan brown or Michael Hagan over Furner.... id probabaly even take the local lollypop man from the school near my house.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I think if we punt Furner, which lets face it, regardless of your thoughts (or mine for that matter) we wont, then its got to be someone experienced and proven

we've been burnt too many times by giving people a chance... Elliott ruined a golden age for talent in his tenure, Henry f**ked off as soon as he got a chance back at Cowboys after proving himself and if we move on from Furner that quickly then clearly he's not been good

Murray would be bad imo, like Sheens these days, i think the game has pasted him by. He got results at the Cowboys on the back of JT, Bowen and LOD and Rauhihi playing really unstructured and adlib play. If you dont have the guys to play that style i doubt he gets results. They also had players like Bowman, Sing, Norton and Hannay who had career years.
He got lucky imo.

Stuart, well it remains to be seen how much of his premiership was him and not Gus. His work since the fall out with Gus has been ordinary. He has issues developing halves (i suspect he's a perfectionist in this area and cant handle people not being as good as he was), and he coaches a very dull, grubby and boring style of footy. He needs to take a year off and refresh himself. I think he'll be a very good option if he takes a year off and comes back in end of 2011 or 2012

Neil Henry, that merkin shate on this club once already. He can get f**ked. Hope the lying dog enjoys the hot seat up at the Cowboys.

Daley, his work with country has been encouraging, im not worried about his NSW selector stuff. He's the public face and has to defend the selections, god knows which ones he agreed with or not, and lets remember the coach always gets his team, and most of the rubbish picks have not been Daley favourites. Country is always a well selected side and they played a very strong game. It wont matter anyways, the guy is in on cushy high paying job on Fox, no way he gives that up.

Which leaves my pick

Steve Folkes, strong background in conditioning and fitness, which it appears to be an area we are lacking a tad in. He's won premierships, he's got a good history with a club that in his days relied mostly on coaching up juniors into FG quality players. I worried abit that like Sheens and Murray that perhaps as a coach he is outdated, but if you want experience he's the best thats on the market... would he come to canberra? Im not sure. I heard we offered him a coaching gig as an assistant to Dave, and he knocked us back to take up the Tigers gig and remain in sydney and wait for the oppertunity there

People that shouldnt be considered - Royce Simmonds, Chris Anderson, Daniel Anderson, Nathan Brown, Michael Hagan

Tbh there isnt much on the market right now

I dont necessarily agree with Ricky though , I dont think a year off will enable him to come back and coach any better.

Folkes would be a hard task master which would be a good thing , he will instil discipline and wouldnt take sh*t from anyone that includes management. He has a wealth of experience. I dont think his coaching would be outdated.

R69 Your not to be considered list is spot on , I dont want any of those you mentioned anywhere near the club even though Hagan is a consultant now

dubby

Bench
Just go ask the Dogs fans what they think of Steve Folkes.....he would be my last pick.

There is a lack of good coaches out there ATM. The only one I'd take is Wayne Bennett.

Just go ask the Dogs fans what they think of Steve Folkes.....he would be my last pick.

There is a lack of good coaches out there ATM. The only one I'd take is Wayne Bennett.

Wayne Bennett would be the top of the list but Im sure he's coaching the Dragons. Maybe he has a get out clause ala Henry style

Cryptic

Juniors
I don't think Wayne would want to come back :p

I think we just need to hire a TEAM of coaches... Take the job away from one person and make it a team effort... I realise it maybe similar to that now but at the end of the day one man gets to make all the calls... Obviously that would still have to be the case to an extent but give the assistance more room to move?

Oh and no offence to Macca Attack 2 but if he is in charge of offence, which I assume he would be, I think he has to fall on his sword after the last few weeks...

^Yeah we never should of hired Cappy. I'd rather have McLinden running the attack lol.

Coaching team of Stuart/Daley/Lazarus perhaps?

gerg

Juniors
I don't think Wayne would want to come back :p

I think we just need to hire a TEAM of coaches... Take the job away from one person and make it a team effort... I realise it maybe similar to that now but at the end of the day one man gets to make all the calls... Obviously that would still have to be the case to an extent but give the assistance more room to move?

Oh and no offence to Macca Attack 2 but if he is in charge of offence, which I assume he would be, I think he has to fall on his sword after the last few weeks...

Actually I hate to burst everybodies bubble - excerpt from Wednesday's canberra times article - Raiders of the lost spark.

"McFadden signed a two year contract extension yesterday with the club"

Latest posts