What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside Backs 2015 and beyond.

kit66

Bench
We've been focusing a lot on our forwards lately as it's obviously the area of greatest concern and our backline seems less of a worry and arguably adequate for the moment with some depth to cover us but what about next year.
4 players in the 1 to 5 positions that I'm hoping to see a lot of this year are off contract and will likely be poached if we don't re-sign them soon, namely Nabuli, Aitken, Mata'utia and Nightie.
What should our strategy be with these guys ? Obviously Nightie is a priority but what about the others, 2 rookies untested at 1st grade level (although I have great confidence in both ) and the promising and already reliable Mata'utia.

Even if, as I suspect may be the case, we start the year with Neilsen and Farrell as our centres, our off contract guys have so much potential ( and longevity ) not to mention offering valuable depth. The only other options at present are Runciman, Glymin, Green and whoever we can develop from the juniors.

Who do you want to see on the field ( outside backs ) this year and next ? How long should we wait, if at all to resign the rookies and Mata'utia ?
Keeping in mind that money is tight as we'll also need to sign or re-sign a heap of forwards as virtually all our props / locks are also off contract ( 8 of them ).

Off Contract 2015
Nightie
Nabuli
Aitken
Mata'utia
Glymin
Green

Farrell
Nielsen
Runciman

BennyV

Referee
Aitken is a must keep. Nabuli, will wait and see how the year pans out. Mata'utia, would re-sign UNLESS he signs on with Newcastle and we can nab Leilua or Mamo.

I would have that starting backline, maybe Farrel over Aitken to begin with but definitely Mata'utia over Nielsen.

Would not re-sign Green or Glymin.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Aitken is a must keep. Nabuli, will wait and see how the year pans out. Mata'utia, would re-sign UNLESS he signs on with Newcastle and we can nab Leilua or Mamo.

I would have that starting backline, maybe Farrel over Aitken to begin with but definitely Mata'utia over Nielsen.

FMD... I agree with you :D
Nightingale must be signed for the rest of his days.
I'd also be chasing Mamo. Nabuli - give him 6-8 weeks and if he looks promising, a 1+1 option in clubs favour.

kit66

Bench

Agreed, this seems the common sense approach ( especially Mata'utia getting in ahead of Nieslen ) and the sooner it's all settled the better.
A backline of Duges, Nabuli, Aitken or Farrell, Mata'utia and Nightie with Aitken or Farrell, Runciman and Nielsen ( and others if necessary ) as depth should serve us well for this year and next and leave Mary and Mullholland time to figure out a solution to the forwards problem.
Great to hear Aitken will be with us a few more years.

love my saints

Juniors
Nabuli, by the sounds of what Mary and even Nighty have said, will be given his shot in round one.
Mata'utai, surely he offers more then Neilson! I think Mary gave Neilson his shot in the WCC because of the experience factor, but id hope its Mata'utai in the centres come round one.
Atm im easy with either Aitken or Farrell in the other centre position. Id prefer Aitken but wont complain if its farrell.
Thats a back 5 that would have alot of points in it with a 6 and 7 that can produce quality ball to the backs.
All this hinges on our forwards getting the metres and quick play the balls.

kit66

Bench
Nabuli, by the sounds of what Mary and even Nighty have said, will be given his shot in round one.
Mata'utai, surely he offers more then Neilson! I think Mary gave Neilson his shot in the WCC because of the experience factor, but id hope its Mata'utai in the centres come round one.
Atm im easy with either Aitken or Farrell in the other centre position. Id prefer Aitken but wont complain if its farrell.
Thats a back 5 that would have alot of points in it with a 6 and 7 that can produce quality ball to the backs.
All this hinges on our forwards getting the metres and quick play the balls.

Could be Mary was hoping the experienced Nielsen would be more useful in supporting Benji in defence ( along with Nightie and Frizell out there ) but that miracle intercept he went for that let Warrington in for a try was a telling moment - it was a grab at glory that cost us, and if he stays in the line, he makes the tackle. Mata'utia seems very disciplined for a young bloke and very reliable, plus his runs near our line when the opposition are trying to pin us down have been very handy to date - he's a powerful player, hope Mary persists with him.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Could be Mary was hoping the experienced Nielsen would be more useful in supporting Benji in defence ( along with Nightie and Frizell out there ) but that miracle intercept he went for that let Warrington in for a try was a telling moment - it was a grab at glory that cost us, and if he stays in the line, he makes the tackle. Mata'utia seems very disciplined for a young bloke and very reliable, plus his runs near our line when the opposition are trying to pin us down have been very handy to date - he's a powerful player, hope Mary persists with him.

Pretty sure Neilsen was playing left side centre for us in he WCC. Farrell was playing right side.

I also hope he chooses Aitken and Mata'utiat, but if Pete is intent on leaving come years end to play with his brothers, I'd be playing Runciman at left centre.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints are pretty well stocked in the backs and halves. If they an maintain most of them for a few years that would be ideal apart from Green. He can go.

If Nabuli plays well I would not wait to long before he gets an upgraded contract . I am sure if they double his current wage to 200k a year for 3 years he will stay and it will be pretty good value for a player of his ability.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Pretty sure Neilsen was playing left side centre for us in he WCC. Farrell was playing right side.

I also hope he chooses Aitken and Mata'utiat, but if Pete is intent on leaving come years end to play with his brothers, I'd be playing Runciman at left centre.

It was Farrell who went for the intercept. Nielsen spent the game contemplating whether he wanted to visit the Tower of London or Buckingham Palace the next day.

Aitken and Mata'utia for mine

Latest posts