What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over to you Wayne Bennett

Misty Bee

First Grade
Ron, yourmemory fails you. Our most recent premiership was secured by a deft Perenara field goal.

I know we have won at least 3 comps at third grade level. So, as a CLUB, we sh*t on Brisbane. Maybe that's because we are a CLUB, and not a collection of Kiwi rejects surrounding a grumpy old tosser!!!!

McCrud

Juniors
Knightmare said:
Broncos fans like KD can be smug and smart about how many comps their team has won in the past two decades compared to clubs like Parramatta and St George, but the one sobering fact stands: If the Broncos were a Sydney club, they wouldn't last 5 years.
FMD, this quaint turn of phrase coming from a Newcastle Knights supporter - the club where the descriptive of 'amateur hour' is seen as a long-term aspiration...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Ron, yourmemory fails you. Our most recent premiership was secured by a deft Perenara field goal.

I know we have won at least 3 comps at third grade level. So, as a CLUB, we sh*t on Brisbane. Maybe that's because we are a CLUB, and not a collection of Kiwi rejects surrounding a grumpy old tosser!!!!

Shooting for 4th this year :cool:

Misty Bee

First Grade
Q: What's the difference between the levee bank at Maitland and the Broncos defence?

A: The levee bank stopped the flood.

(Careful, Knightmare - they might throw you their famed and oft-used Premierships line LOL)

Misty Bee

First Grade
Sorry Ron. I meant 10. Typo. My bad.

Actually, I'll blame Kid Dynamite for being a f*cktard.

Knightmare

Coach
The fact that for a one team town in a city of 2 million people, they only average 35K to their home games, and many of those people who attend aren't Broncos fans. If the Broncos were a Sydney club, they'd be drawing near the bottom. Also, the fact that Brisbane have made alot of noise anytime people suggest putting another team within 500 kms either side of them makes you wonder, as does this excerpt from 'The History of Rugby League Clubs' (2003)

11 August 1998
Brisbane chief executive Shane Edwards reveals that the club could go broke withtin three years if a second Brisbane team is allowed into the NRL.

Then on the other hand they love to beat on and on about how great their club is and how nobody will ever beat them in a Grand Final and everyone who doesn't support the Broncos secretly wishes they did, yet they want to go and have a cry if anybody wants to put a team in the same town as their all conquering Broncos. Boohoo! Try sharing a city with EIGHT other teams, and then you will know why people such as myself think the Bulldogs record over the past 25 years is much more impressive than the Broncos' record since 1988.

Big Pete

Referee
Knightmare said:
The fact that for a one team town in a city of 2 million people, they only average 35K to their home games, and many of those people who attend aren't Broncos fans. If the Broncos were a Sydney club, they'd be drawing near the bottom. Also, the fact that Brisbane have made alot of noise anytime people suggest putting another team within 500 kms either side of them makes you wonder, as does this excerpt from 'The History of Rugby League Clubs' (2003)

11 August 1998
Brisbane chief executive Shane Edwards reveals that the club could go broke withtin three years if a second Brisbane team is allowed into the NRL.

Then on the other hand they love to beat on and on about how great their club is and how nobody will ever beat them in a Grand Final and everyone who doesn't support the Broncos secretly wishes they did, yet they want to go and have a cry if anybody wants to put a team in the same town as their all conquering Broncos. Boohoo! Try sharing a city with EIGHT other teams, and then you will know why people such as myself think the Bulldogs record over the past 25 years is much more impressive than the Broncos' record since 1988.

Talk about sour grapes. :crazy:

On LU you'll only find a minority of arrogant Broncos supporters. In fact I tend to think of this bunch of supporters to be at most times pessimistic, just ask salivor. Usually it's the opposition (like yourselves) talking us up just to knock us back down. You should more or less worry about your own club Knightmare because I think you'll find most Broncos fans happy about their own...oh wait is that also against the law in the land of Knightmare? Can't be happy about our own club?

:lol: You're going to include Premier League and Jersey Flegg premierships as apart of your premiership tally now? Pathetic! A Broncos feeder team isn't even present in the Premier League thus your argument is flawed to begin with.

I couldn't care less, Give me Parramatta greats Kenny, Ella, Sterlo, Cronin, Price, Grothe snr anyday over Brisbane greats Lewis, Langer, Renouf, Terry Matterson and John Plath.

That's fine each supporter should be proud of their players past and present. Mind you, you forgot the likes of Lazarus, Webcke, Walters, Miles and Tallis. ;-)

As for the scoreline enjoy it while it lasts aye. I know I did back in 2005 where we put 42 on you guys in one half not to mention the debut of Darren Lockyer where we put 54 points on in one half.

Dazzat

First Grade
Knightmare said:

11 August 1998

Demographics and economics are becoming increasingly irrelevant when it comes to success on the field.

If population, money and influence mattered that much, NSW should be dominating State of Origin, after all NSW has much more than Queensland of all the above!

The salary cap has also diminished the impact of those factors mentioned.

No. It's all about the culture of clubs ... and the Broncos had the foresight 20 years ago to structure the club differently than every other club in the league. Coaches coach and administrators administrate, and never the twain meet. Sure there's discussion, but when it comes to decision making the CEO isn't going to tell Wayne Bennett how to suck eggs.

Compare this to clubs such as the Roosters, Eels and South Sydney.

It seems the Knights are beginning to operate like this now ... time will tell.

No, wise management, the right people in the right position, the game's greatest coach, and a commitment to the spirit of the game ... they have more to do with the success of the Broncos.

Unfortunately, you can't buy these things off the shelf. No you can't go to the supermarket and pick up a packet labelled "Brian Smith" and expect immediate results.

Sorry Knightmare, you'll need to be more patient until the Knights can emulate a great club like the Broncos. But with the passion in that town I have no doubt it's possible.

Knightmare

Coach
Big Pete said:
Talk about sour grapes. :crazy:

On LU you'll only find a minority of arrogant Broncos supporters. In fact I tend to think of this bunch of supporters to be at most times pessimistic, just ask salivor. Usually it's the opposition (like yourselves) talking us up just to knock us back down. You should more or less worry about your own club Knightmare because I think you'll find most Broncos fans happy about their own...oh wait is that also against the law in the land of Knightmare? Can't be happy about our own club?

:lol: You're going to include Premier League and Jersey Flegg premierships as apart of your premiership tally now? Pathetic! A Broncos feeder team isn't even present in the Premier League thus your argument is flawed to begin with.

That's fine each supporter should be proud of their players past and present. Mind you, you forgot the likes of Lazarus, Webcke, Walters, Miles and Tallis. ;-)

As for the scoreline enjoy it while it lasts aye. I know I did back in 2005 where we put 42 on you guys in one half not to mention the debut of Darren Lockyer where we put 54 points on in one half.

In a thread (but I think it was a thread started by PWA on the Knights forum) I said I don't have a problem with Broncos fans by and large- or even the majority of their players for that matter. My beef is with the club's administrators past and present who continually think their team is bigger than the game. And I'm not saying Brisbane fans have no reason to be proud, my point is that when they go on about how great their team is, they need to put it in perspective. Do they really think they still would have won all those comps if there were 5 or 6 other teams in Brisbane?

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
Guys lets cut to the chase.

Broncos fans are: A happy bunch who have a lot to cheer about and much to be proud of.
Eels fans are: A miserable bunch who have had very little to cheer about in the last 20 years and not much to be proud of. The live in shame as other fans mock there club and rip them to pieces.

I'd rather be a Broncos fan any day. It's a wonderful thing and only a Bronco/Qlder can really know the feeling and what it means. It's all about passion. Come along to the worlds best sporting stadium for a Bronco home game and you'll begin to understand.

I think Broncos fans are like a cross between Yankee fans and Red Sox fans. They have experienced the success of the Yankee's , but still have the passion and down to earth outlook of Red Sox fans.

Note:

Bennett's contribution to rugby league : 1000000000000000000000000000
Misty Bee's contribution: 3

Knightmare

Coach
Dazzat said:
Demographics and economics are becoming increasingly irrelevant when it comes to success on the field.

If population, money and influence mattered that much, NSW should be dominating State of Origin, after all NSW has much more than Queensland of all the above!

The salary cap has also diminished the impact of those factors mentioned.

No. It's all about the culture of clubs ... and the Broncos had the foresight 20 years ago to structure the club differently than every other club in the league. Coaches coach and administrators administrate, and never the twain meet. Sure there's discussion, but when it comes to decision making the CEO isn't going to tell Wayne Bennett how to suck eggs.

Compare this to clubs such as the Roosters, Eels and South Sydney.

It seems the Knights are beginning to operate like this now ... time will tell.

No, wise management, the right people in the right position, the game's greatest coach, and a commitment to the spirit of the game ... they have more to do with the success of the Broncos.

Unfortunately, you can't buy these things off the shelf. No you can't go to the supermarket and pick up a packet labelled "Brian Smith" and expect immediate results.

Sorry Knightmare, you'll need to be more patient until the Knights can emulate a great club like the Broncos. But with the passion in that town I have no doubt it's possible.

Plenty of passion in this town, you can bet on that. And if you looked at the Knights forum over this year you would find that many fans (including myself) were genuinely pleased about the changes taking place at the club to stop it from becoming the new Souths- a boys' club living on past glories with nothing to show for it in the modern day. The Broncos gravy train won't run forever, indeed there will almost certainly come a time when Brisbane will go a whole decade without winning the comp. The question is: will their fans turn on the club and find a scapegoat to blame for it, or will they finally accept that sometimes the Broncos just aren't the best team in Rugby League and it has nothing to do with injuries, the ref or some apparent Sydney conspiracy?

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
If you want to be mentally tough, do as Wayne Bennett says: follow your beliefs and don't give in to yourself. — Steve Waugh
I believe that Bennett stands somewhere below Jack Gibson, which is somewhere near God. — Roy Masters
Wayne is a man whose success is built on loyalty, discipline and an innate recognition of individual worth. — Lachlan Murdoch
Will I miss him? I miss coaching against them all. I will say that it is a shame that Wayne won't be there. With all due respect to Michael Hagan, Wayne Bennett and Queensland go hand in hand... I enjoy coaching against quality coaches, and Wayne Bennett is that. I have really enjoyed coaching against Wayne for the last two years. — Phil Gould
I don’t know how he does it. He’s like a father to all the players and anyone’s got problems on or off the field he’ll fix them if he can. But he’s not only a father figure I think I class him as one of my best friends. — Allan Langer
He' is the greatest coach ever - Bob Fulton

Queensland Father of the Year - Wayne Bennett

Wayne Bennett sucks - Knightmare
Bennett is old - Misty Bee
Bennett is sh*t - B-Tron

RalthFilthy

Juniors
Kid Dynamite said:
I think Broncos fans are like a cross between Yankee fans and Red Sox fans. They have experienced the success of the Yankee's , but still have the passion and down to earth outlook of Red Sox fans.

Parra fans have the success of the Eels and the passion of Parra fans, we don't need to look at other teams, sports and countries to inspire us.

After this weekend you'll need that Red Sox fan outlook for next year.:p

Dazzat

First Grade
Knightmare said:
Plenty of passion in this town, you can bet on that. And if you looked at the Knights forum over this year you would find that many fans (including myself) were genuinely pleased about the changes taking place at the club to stop it from becoming the new Souths- a boys' club living on past glories with nothing to show for it in the modern day. The Broncos gravy train won't run forever, indeed there will almost certainly come a time when Brisbane will go a whole decade without winning the comp. The question is: will their fans turn on the club and find a scapegoat to blame for it, or will they finally accept that sometimes the Broncos just aren't the best team in Rugby League and it has nothing to do with injuries, the ref or some apparent Sydney conspiracy?

Oh prophet of doom Knightmare ... too many ifs, buts and maybes in that scenario for me.

No club is immune from fair-weather fans ... not even the Knights.

Dazzat

First Grade
Kid Dynamite said:
If you want to be mentally tough, do as Wayne Bennett says: follow your beliefs and don't give in to yourself. — Steve Waugh
I believe that Bennett stands somewhere below Jack Gibson, which is somewhere near God. — Roy Masters
Wayne is a man whose success is built on loyalty, discipline and an innate recognition of individual worth. — Lachlan Murdoch
Will I miss him? I miss coaching against them all. I will say that it is a shame that Wayne won't be there. With all due respect to Michael Hagan, Wayne Bennett and Queensland go hand in hand... I enjoy coaching against quality coaches, and Wayne Bennett is that. I have really enjoyed coaching against Wayne for the last two years. — Phil Gould
I don’t know how he does it. He’s like a father to all the players and anyone’s got problems on or off the field he’ll fix them if he can. But he’s not only a father figure I think I class him as one of my best friends. — Allan Langer
He' is the greatest coach ever - Bob Fulton

Queensland Father of the Year - Wayne Bennett

Wayne Bennett sucks - Knightmare
Bennett is old - Misty Bee
Bennett is sh*t - B-Tron

Love your work Dynamite! Noticed you showed great restraint in including only a short list of the accolades given to WB.

To Knightmare, Misty Bee and B-Tron - there's room in the WB fan club for all.

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
What a crap reply. Broncos and Queensland have their own unique culture and I doubt many know anything about the Yankees and Redsox. I'm simply showing there are similarities.

Yeah 1 year without a premiership is hard to take. Just as well with all our players back next year we'll be red hot favorites to win it back again.

I'm still buzzing from 2006 to be honest though. The massively courageous effort given our injury toll this year to make the finals will do me. This year for me has been extremely satisfying. Our proud 16 year record of making the finals stays in tact and the young players are learning about the pride of being a bronco and that will reap benefits in the years to come. These two years have been quite wonderful. I'm sure next year we'll win another flag and that will be special too.

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
Thanks Dazzat I found those just on wikipedia. As you say there are many more. I'd really like to get a hold of that Australian story episode on Wayne. I believe it was the highest rating ever episode and it gave a real insight into what makes him so great.

Dazzat

First Grade
Kid Dynamite said:
Thanks Dazzat I found those just on wikipedia. As you say there are many more. I'd really like to get a hold of that Australian story episode on Wayne. I believe it was the highest rating ever episode and it gave a real insight into what makes him so great.

I happen to have that on DVD ... how could I go about getting it to you electronically?

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
Good question. Maybe upload it somehow to a file sharing site or something like that. I'm not sure. There would probably be a fair few people on here interested in seeing it. Have you considered putting it on You tube? I don't know if there would be a copy write issue with that though.

Latest posts