What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OVP's thoughts on the Salary Crap.

OVP

Coach
Its a completely false reality. This is my biggest problem with it. And it even rewards sh!t management. Club managers these days dont even have to get off their arse, they just know that their laziness will be rewarded in a few years time as they will get any player they want.

Its false, completely false. I'd love to see a return to the days of when clubs managers were accountable for what they did. In the past they would be found out as being sh!t, today they are lauded as being professional :roll: simply because they skinted for two years and then spent up big, knowing that other clubs ahead of them are banned from matching that.

The salary cap is the stupid person's salvation ... but ffs go move to Cuba or China as our country doesnt believe in communism (except rugby league fans ... how dumb are they ??)

Perhaps my biggest problem with the system is that players wages, yes those guys out on the field who do all the work to earn all that money, keep getting reduced salaries (and they keep getting lower and lower and lower just because a guy wants to play with that club his whole life ... but he's NOT ALLOWED to) and yet since there is no Salary Cap on management, the managers wages go higher and higher to a ludicrous degree. Are the NRL f**king nazis or commos ? Not exactly sure atm. But gee News LTd have been great for our code havent they ? Every lie they told to the players during the Superleague war, was rewarded to the managers instead. Pfft. Use your brain ffs ... the Salary Cap goes against everything this entire country believes in !!

Yes you can say that its great that the comp is so even, but have any of you even considered who the people who pay for that are ? Yes, its the players, the players who would be idiots to stay in our code with the pathetic money they are earning. Lets not forget that Yawnion pays higher wages for the players than we do, but at least that money is going to the players. In League, its going to News Ltd and the crap, crap managers out there. The players are the only ones who are being crucified. Is this right ? Especially for a capitalist country like us ?

Raider_69

Post Whore
interesting take on it OVP
Slava, f**k off idiot, you wouldnt a clue

The main reason im totally for it is because it gives every club a level playing feild, and helps spread the talent, its no surprise that a little after 4 years of full on enforcement of the salary cap and we now see the craziest, topsy turvy comp ever, where a team cant ever EVER be written off, no matter who they play or previous form... salary cap has alot to do with that

However, i think some think needs to be done to encourge loyalty, perhaps a sliding discount for players in the top 25 for more than 5 years,

eg:
6 years - 20%
7 years - 40%
8 years - 60%
9 years - 80%
10 years - 100%

And also a system to promote bring your own juniors through

OVP

Coach
Get out of my thread Slava ffs, you're too dumb to get it anyway.

Take a look at the Wests Tigers. There is no way on earth you could say this club havent earnt whats coming to them. Did they ever skint on players for two years just so they could spend up big ? No !! It was always a progressive thing with Tim Sheens, simply because they invested in a guy who knows his league. And i bet in the future, they'll be one of the top teams, simply because they did it the hard way and Sheens knows his League.

I cant say that about other clubs going around atm and you cant say that about Melbourne or Canberra either ... they earnt their dues big time and are now being rewarded because of Great management.

OVP

Coach
Raider_69 said:
interesting take on it OVP
Slava, f**k off idiot, you wouldnt a clue

The main reason im totally for it is because it gives every club a level playing feild, and helps spread the talent, its no surprise that a little after 4 years of full on enforcement of the salary cap and we now see the craziest, topsy turvy comp ever, where a team cant ever EVER be written off, no matter who they play or previous form... salary cap has alot to do with that

However, i think some think needs to be done to encourge loyalty, perhaps a sliding discount for players in the top 25 for more than 5 years,

eg:
6 years - 20%
7 years - 40%
8 years - 60%
9 years - 80%
10 years - 100%

And also a system to promote bring your own juniors through

Yeah thats a good idea too. Please guys, im not actually against the salary cap, im just concerned at what is much more than possible, or likely, for OUR players. These are the guys who earn the money ... shouldnt they be rewarded instead of News Ltd or the nuffy's who run the clubs ? For every year your club refuses a salary cap increase, that money goes directly into News Ltd's pockets. Please guys, just THINK, its all im asking ok :)

OVP

Coach
Why are you still in my thread Slava ? A pox on you !!!! Havent you copped the Brian Cooley curse yet ?? :lol:

tiburon

Juniors
I tend to agree with a lot of the things you have said OVP but you didn't put forward a great suggestion to change it and make it better.

Possibly ever year or two the NRL should take a look at the cap and weigh up the positives and negatives together with all 15 clubs and some player representatives? The system that Raider_69 suggested is also a good idea that could be implemented or possibly expanded on to reward loyalty ever more instead of just doing it for the 10yr. mark as they do now. With crowds being up for the past few seasons maybe the cap could be expanded by a bit with the view of looking to lift it a little every year or two depending on an array of factors that take place every season.

c_eagle

Juniors
Is America a communist country? The NFL seems to be running pretty well with a salary cap and a 100% cover of this fee by the governing body.

Would you prefer that club who profited heavily from the bastardisation by the Super League crew be ontop by miles, simply because they sold out?

brenno

Juniors
If the Salary Cap encourages/promotes anything it's responsible and smart management of talent and the cap in the front office. It creates a greater challenge for the ceo's and talent scouts of the league to identify who is actually WORTH the money and which players have the overall ability to justify their price tag. Clubs can spend money free'd under the cap stupidly. The problem i have with the cap is that there are no concessions for juniors. Club's shouldn't be left in the position where they can't keep their juniors whilst they spend hundreds of thousands each year on junior development.

However, I do have an issue with clubs being able to spend as much a they want on flegg/harold matthews players. It's something Politis campaigned hard for on the NRL board and he got what he wanted. Not all clubs can afford to spend big dollars in that area. It has created a distinct advantage to cashed up clubs looking to develop young players in the hopes that the cap will one day be changed to allow concessions for "Juniors".

OVP

Coach
c_eagle said:
Is America a communist country? The NFL seems to be running pretty well with a salary cap and a 100% cover of this fee by the governing body.

Would you prefer that club who profited heavily from the bastardisation by the Super League crew be ontop by miles, simply because they sold out?

An immensely silly argument ... the NFL/NBA/NHL Salary Cap is WAYYYY over $100 million dollars.

c_eagle

Juniors
OVP said:
c_eagle said:

An immensely silly argument ... the NFL/NBA/NHL Salary Cap is WAYYYY over $100 million dollars.

What's the difference how much money it is if the amount is given in FULL by the governing body?

Grantwhy

Juniors
OVP said:
Its a completely false reality. This is my biggest problem with it. And it even rewards sh!t management. Club managers these days dont even have to get off their arse, they just know that their laziness will be rewarded in a few years time as they will get any player they want.

Tell that to the Knights fans.

OVP said:
Its false, completely false. I'd love to see a return to the days of when clubs managers were accountable for what they did. In the past they would be found out as being sh!t, today they are lauded as being professional :roll: simply because they skinted for two years and then spent up big, knowing that other clubs ahead of them are banned from matching that.

Some clubs haven't had the players to spend their money on, and some clubs didn't have the money to spend. It would be a bad thing for Clubs to pay players more they are worth or spend money they don't have yes?

OVP said:
The salary cap is the stupid person's salvation ... but ffs go move to Cuba or China as our country doesnt believe in communism (except rugby league fans ... how dumb are they ??)

too much rum tonight comrade?

OVP said:
Perhaps my biggest problem with the system is that players wages, yes those guys out on the field who do all the work to earn all that money, keep getting reduced salaries (and they keep getting lower and lower and lower just because a guy wants to play with that club his whole life ... but he's NOT ALLOWED to) and yet since there is no Salary Cap on management, the managers wages go higher and higher to a ludicrous degree. Are the NRL f**king nazis or commos ? Not exactly sure atm. But gee News LTd have been great for our code havent they ? Every lie they told to the players during the Superleague war, was rewarded to the managers instead. Pfft. Use your brain ffs ... the Salary Cap goes against everything this entire country believes in !!

sounds more like tequila? "the Salary Cap goes against everything this entire country believes in" ..... what, things like a even playing field? ;-)

OVP said:
Yes you can say that its great that the comp is so even, but have any of you even considered who the people who pay for that are ? Yes, its the players, the players who would be idiots to stay in our code with the pathetic money they are earning. Lets not forget that Yawnion pays higher wages for the players than we do, but at least that money is going to the players. In League, its going to News Ltd and the crap, crap managers out there. The players are the only ones who are being crucified. Is this right ? Especially for a capitalist country like us ?

Yawnion pays higher wages for the players than we do, but at least that money is going to the players. Yes and No. The players contracted to the Wallabies are on good money, but the players who only have Super 12 contracts are limited to a maximum of (i think) $150,000.

I read this and think things like, 'maybe OVP's had a hard day at the office', or 'yes, the Roosters don't have run-on quality players on their bench anymore (or waiting in reserve grade, just in case) but then, neither do the Bulldogs'.

OVP

Coach
I knew Grantwhy would say something ludicrous about the Roosters :roll:

Kudo's to the rest of you ... you werent that childish :roll:

But cmon Grantwhy .. why indeed ? Wouldnt it be nice to reward a player who did your club proud? And wouldnt it be nice to have the highest paid wages in any sport across the entire country ? Cmon !! Perhaps some of the reasons why we've had so much trouble in past off-seasons is because these guys were actually earning TOO LITTLE.

Latest posts