What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OVP's thoughts on the Salary Crap.

slava

Juniors
melon.... said:
slava said:
mate who gives a sh*t. F!
Ive watch you comment these last few days Saliva, and ignored you for the joke you truely are. But its time for Melon to have his say. Mate, if you dont have anything to say that even remotely doesnt represent dog sh*t, then please do your self and us a favour and go neck yourself.

Easily the biggest twat on the forums since Oneeye and Johnny Wilkinson. They are dickheads of the highest calibre but you my stupid friend are their King.

*edit* :evil:

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
slava said:
melon.... said:
slava said:
mate who gives a sh*t. !
Ive watch you comment these last few days Saliva, and ignored you for the joke you truely are. But its time for Melon to have his say. Mate, if you dont have anything to say that even remotely doesnt represent dog sh*t, then please do your self and us a favour and go neck yourself.

Easily the biggest twat on the forums since Oneeye and Johnny Wilkinson. They are dickheads of the highest calibre but you my stupid friend are their King.

where did this f**kwit come from?

The fact is id hate to see the NRL to become another english premier league or another italian serie a if the NRL chooses to demolish the cap from the competition... you would have rich clubs like the roosters, parramatta, brisbane and canterbury who are the most cashed up clubs in the NRL and are set to throw their money on the best developed player in the competition.

even though my team (bulldogs) are not performing well on the field and we have limited options due to the injuries... im still not blaming the cap.

But there should be some sort of concession for local juniors and the NRL should adopt some sort of rule like they do in UEFA which is allowing clubs to use their local players and have limits on buying developed players from outside the club.

Duff

Juniors
OVP your argument is flawed on so many levels.

You describe the salary cap as negating the positives that come from so called "good management" when in essence it's nothing more than how much money your particular club has to spend. Having money does not automatically equate "good management". Good management should never be determined by how many gamblers are willing to come into your leagues club.

The scum from Bondi, with all their recent successes ie: Making the grand final for the past 3 seasons, having the highest average crowd for all Sydney teams and having a playing roster stacked with internationals. STILL had to ask for $3.5 million dollars from their leagues club to operate last season :shock: and that is with a salary cap being enforced.

That is hardly good management. Good management is making a team reasonably competitive when finances are limited. It's bringing in sponsors to financially benifit your club, and at the same time, not only when that particular club is a grand final worthy team. Sponsors love to jump onboard a club that will very possibly be there in the first weekend of October so attracting sponsors to clubs like the scum and the bulldogs is hardly awe-inspiring great mangement skills.

Good management is getting players wanting to play for your club without having to pay exorbitant wage bills to get them in your colours. It is budgetting on how you think those certain players may perform over the next few seasons, seeing potential in them and making allowances for that, while at the same time cutting the deadwood from your ranks so you can afford to keep the special ones when it comes around to negotation times again.

You a merely wanting clubs that benefit from a high leagues club turnover to continue to be the big fish and futher stretching the divide between the clubs that can benefit from extremeley high financial leagues club support and those that can't. It simply isn't a matter of good management vs bad. It's moreso a factor over where your situated on a geographical map and whether your poker machines are better than ours.

For too long Rugby League fortunes have been decided on financial backing from enormous leagues clubs and further back, how much News Ltd wanted you to succeed, and now finally, with a properly enforced salary cap we have what seems to be the most even playing field in an extremely long time.

I expect nothing but a tirade of abuse or petty name calling in retaliation to my post that doesn't concur with your thought process, atleast make it witty, that's all i'm asking.........

slava

Juniors
ozzy_ozman said:
slava said:
melon.... said:
slava said:
mate who gives a!

where did this f***wit come from?

*Edit - you have been warned on continuous occassions. Enjoy your holiday. *

Raider_69

Post Whore
slava said:
ozzy_ozman said:
slava said:
melon.... said:
slava said:
mate who gives a sh*t. !

WHOOO!
nice work LU 8)

c_eagle

Juniors
OVP said:
Grantwhy said:
OVP said:
c_eagle said:
Is America a communist country? The NFL seems to be running pretty well with a salary cap and a 100% cover of this fee by the governing body.

Would you prefer that club who profited heavily from the bastardisation by the Super League crew be ontop by miles, simply because they sold out?

An immensely silly argument ... the NFL/NBA/NHL Salary Cap is WAYYYY over $100 million dollars.

Don't the NFL take the profits the teams make and share them between all their teams, proping up the (financially) weaker ones?

Yes they do .. but the amount of money they are talking about means NO club misses out on anything. You cant say that about league !!

Yes, but we are talking about a Salary cap, not profit generated. This is completely different.

Now think about it OVP, if a cap is 100 million dollars or 3.25 million dollars, does it really alter anything in terms of talent equalisation when clubs are subsidised the entire fee?

All that happens is an inflation of %3500 for all players salaries. The competition to gain players would still be the same, the only difference would be the money offered. Successful clubs would struggle to keep all their stars just like the NRL because smaller clubs would be allowed to pay them substantial figures.

You may think, why would a player not stay at a club that offered him 5 million bucks a season? Well, it's because he can get 10 million at another club.

Kaz

junior
Misty Bee said:
The salary cap creates a level playing field. The problem is how UN level the playing field is under that cap. example - is North Queensland still being propped up by News Ltd (and Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra et al), while Newcastle, Parra, Souths, etc are self funded?

Newcastle self funded. :lol: By whom.

They can't get a major sponsor & it looks like the NRL will have to bail them out once again.

BuffaloRules

Coach
After the results so far this year, I don't think the salary cap is going anywhere.

We need some sort of parity in this comp. We need to have fans turning up to games because their team actually has a chance of winning ( a strange concept for a Wests fan in the late 90's..). If through either bad luck, bad management , or they can't attract a super rich sponsor and their team just sucks, I don't think this is any reason to condemn their fans to year after year of running last.

This is not about capitalism where only the richest or smartest will get the greatest success - its a sporting competition. The biggest one in the world ,the NFL ,seems to do OK with a salary cap.

Their salary cap means that a city like Green Bay ( population 100,000) can compete with New York.

Each NFL teams salary cap is fully funded by the NFL through TV rights - ours should be the same.

What ever amount that is should be the maximum allowed to be spent on acquiring and paying players.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
slava said:
ozzy_ozman said:
slava said:
melon.... said:
slava said:
mate who gives a sh*t\\!

someone on this forum needs anger management :lol:

The Business

Juniors
innsaneink said:
I guess you'd be happy with a 6-8 team comp then melon?

We produce our stars, your club comes along waving wads of 50's under their noses.

Just because you line their pockets does not mean they would not have become 1st graders......that just decides where they do it.

Your stinking, "money can buy everything" attitude makes me puke.

1-3

:lol:
What makes me puke is your lack of understanding in what Melon is saying. When will you realise that rugby league is a professional sport? There is no such thing as juniors anymore, and if you think there is then you're obviously still stuck in the 80s.

OVP, I'm with you on this one. It's time the "lesser" clubs did something and became strong, rather than relying on stupid rules and regulations helping them become stronger.

ngunity

Juniors
Maybe players are being underpaid. Personally I'd take $140K to play the best sport in the world but that's not my point

I believe the NRL can realistically give the salary cap a BIG bump when the 2007 Free to Air TV rights are renegotiated. Just like the NFL in US does, the NRL could divvy up their big pile of loot to each club. And with, for arguments sake, say $8mil. a year each club gifted from the NRL's dragon hoard the cap could be bumped up accordingly, so long as EACH club has the money to spend then there's no reason why the cap couldn't go up, and League could stop English League and Union stealing our players, and it WOULD come down to bad vs good management if everyone can compete with a money-even playing field

Your comparing sport to communism, etc is :roll: :roll:

IF the NRL does fill the code with $$$ with a good tv deal, divvys up those monies and still won't raise the cap a $mil or two then I'll join you in your protests. Until then talk of a cap raise will only benefit the rich clubs and shaft the struggling ones and ruin our even competition.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
In the end it is the supporters who pay the bills. Sure the odd multi-million dollar supporter is out there, but with things like TV right it is the customer who pays for that service. Sponsors only put money in areas where they are going to create interest. You won't see a tampon company sponsoring a footy club. But you will see a Nike or Classic ect as sports clothing.

I agree with C_Eagle who OVP dismissed as talking rubbish. The Salary cap should be funded entirely by the governing body and hopefully it can be if TV rights return the sort of money they should.

Clubs will do anything to try and win a competition. And that includes crippling their own business. The last thing the NRL wants is folding clubs IMO. The NRL needs to foster support and ensure a balanced competition is in place. A close competition keep supporters of most clubs interested up to September and then increase exposure and returns. The NRL should not go through another stage of teams being removed from the competition.

Sure the Roosters have a pile of money that they can spend on facilities or coaching staff to lure players and at potentially a cheaper price. Isn't that enough advantage? I think it is.

OVP

Coach
nqboy said:
Other than that, what solutions do you offer for restricting the amount of money that goes to managers or administrators?

Take for example when the discussions for the next round of TV rights starts to happen. I think its pretty obvious that the battle for the TV rights will be cut-throat and i would say its a given that the whole game will benefit greatly as whoever wins the rights will obviously pay much more than Channel 9 is now. Wouldnt it be a travesty of justice if ALL that extra money went into the pockets of the administrators instead of the players or even fans ? I can assure you this is the reason why Dennis Fitzgerald absolutely LOVES the Salary Cap ... he can keep lining the pockets of himself and his cronies and get away with paying the players very very little in comparison.

Just say the NRL earns an extra 100 million from the new deal compared to the current deal. I would like to see every single player in every single grade receive a pay rise that has been divided equally up amongst them all using say a figure like $50 million. Even the lowliest Flegg player should receive the same amount as that clubs biggest NRL star. However those clubs that dont have Premier League or Flegg sides, then they will receive less money than those clubs that do. Then also use the other $50 million to improve each clubs junior development programs, but IT MUST go into junior development and NOT the pockets of the administrators.

I think this overall would have a huge benefit on the playing strength of our game for the future. More and more young kids will want to be associated with LEague since we will obviously be looking after them alot better than other codes, if we do this.

Dont you think something like that should be done ? It will definitely stop the exodus of players to other countries and codes and will give us a great platform to build on for the future FOR EVERY CLUB. Continually restricting players wages will have a drastic effect on our code very very soon. We should be rewarding them, not punishing them. They are the ones who put bums on seats, NOT the administrators. I think the Salary Cap has been great in making an even comp and for that i have no problem with it. But its at the detriment of the players themselves that im most concerned about. Couldnt we have a points system that restricts who clubs can buy or keep instead ? I dont believe anyone has the right to tell anyone how much money they are earning ... its just wrong.

Thats all im saying ... this has got NOTHING to do with the Roosters (for all you smartarses in this thread LOL), its got everything to do with EVERY club and its future.

nqboy

First Grade
OVP said:
nqboy said:
Other than that, what solutions do you offer for restricting the amount of money that goes to managers or administrators?

Take for example when the discussions for the next round of TV rights starts to happen. I think its pretty obvious that the battle for the TV rights will be cut-throat and i would say its a given that the whole game will benefit greatly as whoever wins the rights will obviously pay much more than Channel 9 is now. Wouldnt it be a travesty of justice if ALL that extra money went into the pockets of the administrators instead of the players or even fans ? I can assure you this is the reason why Dennis Fitzgerald absolutely LOVES the Salary Cap ... he can keep lining the pockets of himself and his cronies and get away with paying the players very very little in comparison.

Just say the NRL earns an extra 100 million from the new deal compared to the current deal. I would like to see every single player in every single grade receive a pay rise that has been divided equally up amongst them all using say a figure like $50 million. Even the lowliest Flegg player should receive the same amount as that clubs biggest NRL star. However those clubs that dont have Premier League or Flegg sides, then they will receive less money than those clubs that do. Then also use the other $50 million to improve each clubs junior development programs, but IT MUST go into junior development and NOT the pockets of the administrators.

I think this overall would have a huge benefit on the playing strength of our game for the future. More and more young kids will want to be associated with LEague since we will obviously be looking after them alot better than other codes, if we do this.

Dont you think something like that should be done ? It will definitely stop the exodus of players to other countries and codes and will give us a great platform to build on for the future FOR EVERY CLUB. Continually restricting players wages will have a drastic effect on our code very very soon. We should be rewarding them, not punishing them. They are the ones who put bums on seats, NOT the administrators. I think the Salary Cap has been great in making an even comp and for that i have no problem with it. But its at the detriment of the players themselves that im most concerned about. Couldnt we have a points system that restricts who clubs can buy or keep instead ? I dont believe anyone has the right to tell anyone how much money they are earning ... its just wrong.

Thats all im saying ... this has got NOTHING to do with the Roosters (for all you smartarses in this thread LOL), its got everything to do with EVERY club and its future.

Noble sentiments all, but what solutions do you offer for restricting the amount of money that goes to managers or administrators?

This $50M you're giving away, you are aware that that's over the life fo the deal, aren't you? It's not a big wad of cash just given to the NRL at the start of the deal. And it includes stuff like broadcast deals, advertising and such. But, ignoring that for a moment, let's suppose we give everyone a payrise in year one from this great wad of cash, how do we pay them the same wages in year two and the following years?

And the clubs still rake in the cash from sponsors, crowds, merchandising etc. Given that the NRL grant is now the equal of the salary cap, doesn't that mean there will be more for Fitzy (your example) to line his pockets with because he won't have to pay the players anything?

I'm not entirely sure of the point you're trying to make. Maybe it's me, maybe you'r enot explaining yourself very well, not sure.

Latest posts