What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OzTag

Pierced Soul

First Grade
dont call things to the ref such as forward sir or knock on sir...they have a bloody sook

oh, and expect a group of tossers in the other team who think theyre awesome cos theyre big..these guys r usually crap haha

its like any other sports in regards to refs and other teams. some refs are cool others are fricken nazis. and no mattwer where you got here's always gonna be teams full of tossers who try and start sh*t

here's another rule, whent he other team plays the ball and they dont have a dummy half your marker cant make a play at it for 3 secs (we got penalsied last year for this)

emil1989

Juniors
i just noticed the refs are more defensive bout teams making calls in oztag cos i play league, touch and oz-tag

aqua_duck

Coach
I play a thursday lunchtime comp at homebush, its a decent standard, Mark 'buckets' O'Neill plays for a team in the comp and last week he brought along a secret weapon in the form of a certain wests tigers hooker/halfback....

Tag is much better than touch. They killed touch footy when they removed the markers. Now touch is just based around quick play the ball and running at the person who made the last touch. Oz tag actually requires you to throw the ball around at least a little to make some ground. The other good thing about tag is that it allows bigger blokes to have an impact. A big slow bloke can hit it up and if his tag is missed, he can go through and make serious metres or score. Touch is dominated by steppy fit guys. Tag is more a game for blokes with good ball skills.

McLovin

Staff member
Tag is much better than touch. They killed touch footy when they removed the markers. Now touch is just based around quick play the ball and running at the person who made the last touch. Oz tag actually requires you to throw the ball around at least a little to make some ground. The other good thing about tag is that it allows bigger blokes to have an impact. A big slow bloke can hit it up and if his tag is missed, he can go through and make serious metres or score. Touch is dominated by steppy fit guys. Tag is more a game for blokes with good ball skills.

That's good to hear. I'm far from match fit for a full game of league but get the ball in my hands and i'll create...

Are the matches played on full league fields??

beave

Coach
The field is generally ACROSS one half of a league field.

I have bee reffing for about 5 years, it's a great game.

Theres a 40-20 equivalent in Rep Oztag.....................Other than that, most of the rules have been covered.

I love watching the younger brigade after making a tag, get back into the defensive line leaving no marker. If it's generally an older person they chuck their tag on, tap it and run forward..........you should hear the howls of protest from the younger guys, you tell them that it's fine and league used to be like that and they think you are mad..............until you show them the rule book. It just seems to be an area that's changed in footy and you are starting to see it's removal highlighted in the younger guys who have never seen the no-marker tap the ball scenario....

emil1989

Juniors
haha i played in the homebush monday night comp..i think the organisation is sydney oz tag or somethin like that?? pretty crap insurance policy if u ask me haha

That's good to hear. I'm far from match fit for a full game of league but get the ball in my hands and i'll create...

Are the matches played on full league fields??

A couple of tips for you.

1. Try to tag with both hands. If you come from the side and swipe down from the top against the guys tag with both hands, it'll fall off or you'll drag it off. If you stand there and try to "pinch" the tag, or grab it with one hand at the bottom, you will miss it 9 / 10 times. If you are in front of the guy, plant your feet and grab both tags if possible. Remember to plant the feet first though as the contact rule is a lot like basketball.

2. Keep your hands up while running with the ball. The hardest thing I found when I first started playing was trying not to slap a guys hand away or palm him off. Keep your hands high and away from the tag and you should be right.

3. It's not touch so you don't have to beat the defender with your whole body. You just have to beat them with your tags. If you can introduce a hip swerve or something similar into your running style (especially if you have little or no step), that you can manage without having to slow down, you will beat them a lot of the time. Sometimes just running hard at a gap is enough as the faster the tag is moving, the harder it is to remove.

4. When you run through a gap, don't stop until you either see the tag hit the ground, or you are called back. Sometimes the tags come off half way or make that tearing sound without actually falling off. You will be amazed how many times this happens and how many people you see, stop and miss out on scoring a try because of it.

Champ

Juniors
I love oz-tag, but it has so many rules it is not funny.

U can only kick on 0, 1st, 4th,5th and 6th tackle.

If u tag someone the motion of passing then the pass counts.

You have to kick on below the shortest players should height unless its a drop out

You almost need a bachelor in something just to understand

emil1989

Juniors
yes a bachelor in common sense at the oz-tag university..jst takin the piss lol..i watched my team play touch yesterday..im very tempted to play but i know my knee will snap straight away as im still in rehab..does anyone know the feeling??sucks ay?

Geohood

Bench
Just make sure you make your own team.. I made the mistake of joining individually and was in the team that didn't know how to line up across the field for more than 10 metres and didn't know how to pass the ball. We lost every game by 15+. :(

emil1989

Juniors
15 flippin plus?? damn dawg thats a rubbish team..biggest loss ive ever seen is around 10-0 against a bunch of hopeless 55 yr olds playing opens

adamkungl

Immortal
15 flippin plus?? damn dawg thats a rubbish team..biggest loss ive ever seen is around 10-0 against a bunch of hopeless 55 yr olds playing opens

Back in year 8 at school we were in u15s with a bunch of 13 year olds...we got beat by 15-20 every week lol.