What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Conference Teams

Lone Ranger

Juniors
Curious what happened with the league in Hawaii as there is no mention on the AMNRL website. One would think that with the momentum of the Tonga vs USA there would be some traction to build upon.

druzik

Juniors
Curious what happened with the league in Hawaii as there is no mention on the AMNRL website. One would think that with the momentum of the Tonga vs USA there would be some traction to build upon.

Not with Jack Breen having been shafted, all the momentum has been lost with the club teams I would say.

He had the momentum and the contacts.

Be interesting to see what will happen there.

BODISGOD

Bench
Not with Jack Breen having been shafted, all the momentum has been lost with the club teams I would say.

He had the momentum and the contacts.

Be interesting to see what will happen there.

Breen fouled up completely.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Does anyone care to shed some light on the jack breen situation. 12 months ago he was on hawaiian TV talking about RL, now he's no where to be seen and the hawaiian conference hasn't kicked off...

Fatwing15

Juniors
Does anyone care to shed some light on the jack breen situation. 12 months ago he was on hawaiian TV talking about RL, now he's no where to be seen and the hawaiian conference hasn't kicked off...

Yea, I haven't heard a thing about this.

What about the developmental USARL teams from last year? Can't remember all of them, Pittsburgh (best logo and name in the league), OC Outlaws, I think they had 2 or 3 teams in Florida, any progress from the Titans?

IowaRL

Juniors

What about the developmental USARL teams from last year? Can't remember all of them, Pittsburgh (best logo and name in the league), OC Outlaws, I think they had 2 or 3 teams in Florida, any progress from the Titans?

From what I know, Pittsburg are having trouble getting players as its a very union town, OC got screwed by an announce Californian tournament that never got played to my knowledge, have heard nothing from Seattle and Texas for the USARL or for Denver in the AMNRL, Utah played against a local union team as an exhibition game, and the 3 Florida teams are a feeder comp to the Axemen. Anywhere I've missed?

joshreading

Staff member

Pittsburgh seem to be chugging behind the scenes (seem to lack RL experience). A poster from their representing them does come on here.

The OC Outlaws also seem to be still developing, on their facebook they say they have a training camp in late June/early July.

The 'minor league teams' in Florida behind the Axemen also seem to be going ahead and playing. I have seen posts from/about them recently on facebook.

The Titans seem to have been removed/left the USARL but are listed as independant now so I don't know what is up with them.

Fatwing15

Juniors
He was the guy who was primarily responsible for RL in Hawaii. It seems like he's fallen out with Niu or the AMNRL in some way, and now 'Pacific Expansion' seems to be off the agenda for them.

Fair enough. I thought expansion in HI was a little odd, but I can't look at people playing league any where as a bad thing. I think western expansion might find more success in CA based on population. ( a real original idea :sarcasm: ,vlol)

gyallop

Juniors
Who is hiding behind the grassy knoll??

The players I know in the USA said that Jack left the AMNRL on his own terms as he wanted to concentrate on his passion which is Rugby but that Jack had no involvment in rugby league before 2011 anyway so the talk of him running the game there isnt correct.

My guess is like every thing else around expanding rugby league the USA expansion has stalled due to lack of money and the zero assistance the RLIF provide.

Lone Ranger

Juniors

The players I know in the USA said that Jack left the AMNRL on his own terms as he wanted to concentrate on his passion which is Rugby but that Jack had no involvment in rugby league before 2011 anyway so the talk of him running the game there isnt correct.

My guess is like every thing else around expanding rugby league the USA expansion has stalled due to lack of money and the zero assistance the RLIF provide.

Not buying it and the timing doesn't match-up with the AMNRL news promoting there would be a comp there this year. I agree that lack of money would account for a number of things but why would they host a tournament with no plan beyond. Sorry but I think I have my answer from some of the other posts.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Not buying it and the timing doesn't match-up with the AMNRL news promoting there would be a comp there this year. I agree that lack of money would account for a number of things but why would they host a tournament with no plan beyond. Sorry but I think I have my answer from some of the other posts.

Because that's how they do things in the AMNRL. I do think they probably had a plan, but it may have fell through. It's not the first time that has happened. I really don't have a problem with that - stuff happens, things don't work out. No big deal. What always bothers me is that they will not mention that things haven't worked out. They'll just continue on as if nothing happened, and when asked about something they will just ignore the questions.

druzik

Juniors
Druzik I am curious to hear what may know or have heard. I wonder if they fell out over the Tonga tournament.

Well I have spoken with Jack... and others. I remember last year that Jack was as staunch a supporter of Niu and the ANRL as there was. He was part of the management team and the Tomahawks and was there at the World Cup Qualifiers. He called David the best and most trustworthy person he knows.

FFwd... The way its been sumarised to me is that Jack was used to make contacts, and when they were made he was forced out. Essentially what has happened, as I understand it, is this:

There were many issues with what was happening in the AMNRL. There was a lack of financial transparency. Money was being taken out of the game in Hawaii... as revenues of some kind I guess... Jack felt that it should have been put back into the game, as it was to grow this year. There were issues with the Tonga selection, all were political not on merit with players from Oahu who never played the game and unfit being selected to court a few interests there. This apparently disheartened many who were on board. There were players left out due to differences between Jack and the AMNRL and also there is a lack of grassroots focus.

Jack moved there to organise the Hawaiian Rugby League and the Tonga game some part Tongan, who apparently screwed Unoin in Hawaii, was taking the Lead. Jack and his board wanted nothing to do with these new guys.

That's when he left, if on hos own or pushed, who knows that but them.

Well, that is about what I know of the situation. Course, anyone in the AMNRL you try and talk to about it, they just play silent or deny any knowledge.

druzik

Juniors

The players probably don;t know the full situation, it would have been kept secret from them, but there was politics and it was actually affecting their selection. Jack may have walked, but it does not mean it was willingly or without a push.

Jack is still trying to do some Rugby League stuff in Oahu with the previous group that was trying to start up RL there.

You can almost say that about the whole AMNRL organisation, they seem hell bent on being associated with Union with all the pre-games they do with them.

Its not the RLIF job to always fund the nations. Nations need to get their own funding and resources with occasional help from the RLIF.

The RLIF is there to administer the game, run tournaments, clear up issues like splits and selection and rules etc...

You can't blame it on the RLIF.

Fatwing15

Juniors
You can almost say that about the whole AMNRL organisation, they seem hell bent on being associated with Union with all the pre-games they do with them.

Out of curiosity, how many union openers have there been? I know the Donnybrook Cup had one. Did the one in HI also have one?

Most guys in this country who play league play both codes, so I guess it would be worth noting how many players from those Union openers also played league...

Latest posts