What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Cup 2024

Matua

Bench
I'm a funny one. When it comes to the Kiwis I think I tuned out after '91.

So, when it comes to 'memorable Kiwis' halves', Shane Varley rings out in my head over Shaun Johnson all day. Varley had Daryl Eastlake though. Therefore, it's a given.
I think you tuned out in the mid 80s of Varley is your memorable half. ;) I'm an 80s kid and he seemed like an old player even then.

Clayton Friend was my memorable guy in the 80s.

I'm the opposite of you, love the Kiwis, mentioned before how as much as I like this place I find it odd that it cares little about the Kiwis. As much as I'm a fan of the Warriors at any given time they have a bunch of Aussies in the team so I'm always going to care about the Kiwis more even if they do stupid ass things like hiring Kidwell as coach, not select Benji, and ban Bromwich and replace him with early domestic abuser Fonua-Blake.

Blair

Coach
I think you tuned out in the mid 80s of Varley is your memorable half. ;) I'm an 80s kid and he seemed like an old player even then.

I'm the opposite of you, love the Kiwis, mentioned before how as much as I like this place I find it odd that it cares little about the Kiwis. As much as I'm a fan of the Warriors at any given time they have a bunch of Aussies in the team so I'm always going to care about the Kiwis more even if they do stupid ass things like hiring Kidwell as coach, not select Benji, and ban Bromwich and replace him with early domestic abuser Fonua-Blake.
Varley was old school in the '80s for sure but it was his starring role in that historic, Graham Lowe-led, win at Lang Park in '83, that is seared into my memory.

Varley was gone and Clayton was a household name in that memorable '85 series and he was also there when our young side of 'nobodies' upset the Roos at Lang Park in '87.

All in all I'd say Freeman was the half I have the most affinity with.

Yes, I sadly drifted away from the Kiwis in the early-to-mid-'90s. I did go to the Tri-Series final at the SFS in 2006 though and I'm back in black now too!

JJ

Immortal
Varley was old school in the '80s for sure but it was his starring role in that historic, Graham Lowe-led, win at Lang Park in '83, that is seared into my memory.

Varley was gone and Clayton was a household name in that memorable '85 series and he was also there when our young side of 'nobodies' upset the Roos at Lang Park in '87.

All in all I'd say Freeman was the half I have the most affinity with.

Yes, I sadly drifted away from the Kiwis in the early-to-mid-'90s. I did go to the Tri-Series final at the SFS in 2006 though and I'm back in black now too!
I vaguely remember Gordon Smith too, think he was a fair player but spent most his career in the UK?

For me Freeman is the one I tend to gravitate to too, not the best player obviously but had to like his commitment

warriors 95

Juniors

If you look up the word “underrated“ in the Oxford English Dictionary you’ll see a picture of Clayton friend next to it.

Saw him many a time tear teams apart in the English lower leagues in the latter part of his career.

Latest posts