What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Test at new WSS?

Coastbloke

Bench
Briefly mentioned as a thought bubble in the main article on NRL.com in relation to the 2019 NRL draw.

Keeping in mind that Tonga are supposed to be playing NZ in NZ on the Rep weekend I'm not sure when they intend to play this but the sight of the Tongan and Samoan fans in full flight at the new swish WSS makes it a worthwhile idea..

Springs09

Juniors
We should be aiming for a big crowd at Eden Park for NZ v Tonga.

For the other tests we should have 2 games at WSS with PNG, Samoa, Fiji and Cook Islands at least. See if England, Lebanon or italy are interested in playing as well.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's actually a shame that next year which would be the most anticipated of Pacific Tests had Tonga been playing that they aren't around to play it at WSS. I would play the Pacific Test triple header at Eden Park next year:

Fiji v Cook Islands
PNG v Samoa
NZ v Tonga

The ground would almost sell-out and the atmosphere would be stunning.

yakstorm

First Grade
Tonga v NZ will be in New Zealand, already the NZRL and NRL have started the bidding process with government and venues for the match. I wouldn't be surprised if this game is locked in this side of Christmas with he current momentum.

Having the Pacific Test Double Header at another venue isn't a bad thing. NZ v Tonga should get 30K+ on it's own, so between the three games / two events, we can have 50K-odd watching international Rugby League (not involving Australia) will bode well going against the 60K at Optus Stadium in Perth.

Whether WSS should be the venue is questionable. On the plus sides:
  • It's geographically well located for Samoan fans (who will be the largest fan contingent with Tonga not there)
  • It's a new shiny stadium, which will have only hosted 5x Events between opening and the Pacific Double Header, so there will be a lot of 'curious' people who will be keen to check it out
The negatives is 30K is possibly a bit too big without Tonga... Arguably over the past few years, you'd say the that Tonga and Samoa would have brought 2/3rds of the crowd, so it's whether Cook Islands will bring many, and whether neutrals would be enough to help bring it back to around the 20K mark at least.

Would like to hope so though... If the NSW Government is prepared to throw some cash / incentives, then I don't think we should say no... just need to get it on sale as early as possible and start pushing it.

paulmac

Juniors
I’d make Samoa v Cook Is as the undercard of NZ v Tonga at Eden Park. All the Polynesian nations playing at the one ground would be something else.
As for PNG v Fiji I’d play that in either Pt Moresby or Dolphin Oval. Plenty of Peeyanjians in SE QLD also the Petero/Redcliffe connection that Fiji could draw on.Throw Vanuatu v Solomon Islands on that undercard for Melanesian festival of RL
I’d save the WSS for Tonga v Australia in October.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, let the Kangaroos play at WSS if they want an International game. Have we learnt nothing from seeing Tonga in NZ over last two years?

Latest posts