What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacquiao vs Cotto

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Pac was very fast but schiznit, I agree, I thought Cotto caught him a few times.

Can someone with a little more technical boxing mind answer:

1 - several times in the fight, Manny just put up his gloves and stood there and took some punches, often against the ropes.....just stopped, put up the defenses and copped some - why? Does he get buggered and need a break or is he trying to let Cotto wear himself out, or trying to let him drop his defenses and go for a counter??

2 - The comentators said the fight with mayweather is very unlikely to happen.......why? I think it would be great.

1. I think in the press conference he was asked that same question, he said he did that to get a measure of Cottos power. We all knew that the fight plan for Manny was to stay off the ropes and avoid Cottos power. He handled it very well. Although at the press conference his head was bandaged and there was swelling around his eyes.

2. Because it would have to be on GAYweathers terms. Some suggest he is wanting to split the purse 70/30 with Pac which is ridiculous. Pac is on top of his game right now and I think he deserves the bigger share. Which Money Mayweather wont give up a fight for. I hope they can get this fight set up, it would smash all PPV records.

Last edited:

Simo

First Grade
What are your thoughts on the fight? YOu think Manny could actually beat floyd? Mayweather is right in that everyone wants to see him loose but will he be to good a boxer for Pac?

*edit: Reading on line and watching your link, I would say the fight is very likely to go ahead.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
I hope it will Simo, but i wouldn't get too excited just yet. I won't be satisfied till we know its official.

What did i think about the fight? Well I had Pac to win by SD. I questioned whether he had the power to knock Cotto out and he did that twice within 5 rounds. Another question mark hanging over his head was whether he could take shots from a true WW and he did. I thought Cottos corner was very inexperienced and should have stopped the fight earlier. Manny proved to be too fast and powerful.

As for the Manny Pacquiao v Floyd Mayweather, if we ever get to see it, it is going to be Fraizer v Ali, DLH v Trinidad, Hagler v Leonard HUGE!!
Manny has the tools to beat Mayweather, he has the hand speed, ability to throw multiple shots at multiple angles and is a south paw which gives orthodox fighters the task of trying to pick them apart. Defence is a concern though, but thats what Mayweather loves to do, hide behind that philly shell defence and counter. Freddie Roach im sure will come up with the perfect game plan for that fight, if it goes ahead.

shiznit

Coach
yeah you pretty much summed it up for me there Kiwi...

theres an old adage that styles make fights... if thats the case this will be a wonderful fight. PBF may have a big mouth... but the bloke has some serious skills!! especially defensively.

as for purse i reckon it should be a 40/40 split with the remaining 20 going to the winner.

if PBF thinks he deserves to have the lions share of the profits because in his mind hes P4P king... then he can earn it.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Styles makes fights is right Shiz.

I think Pacs style is tailor made to beat Floyd, hand speed (which floyd has never been up against), the ability to come at him at all angles and throw multiple punches through out the rounds. Floyd needs to be pressured.

andrew057

First Grade
Styles makes fights is right Shiz.

I think Pacs style is tailor made to beat Floyd, hand speed (which floyd has never been up against), the ability to come at him at all angles and throw multiple punches through out the rounds. Floyd needs to be pressured.

Judah is definitely faster than Pac and Floy had no troubles handling him. If Marquez can outbox Pac, Floyd can.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Judah is definitely faster than Pac and Floy had no troubles handling him. If Marquez can outbox Pac, Floyd can.

I forgot about Zab there andrew.

I think Pac is a different fighter now though, its scary to think how good he's gotten and how much more he could improve.

shiznit

Coach
yet Judah went the full 12 with Floyd... and handled his power with ease... and then got KO'd by Cotto... and we all know how Cotto went vs Pacman.

Marquez was really a style thing... his style was suited to pacman.... PBF had a sh*tload of trouble with Hatton early on... yet Pacman destroyed Hatton from the start.

Last edited:

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
They certainly are talking, promoters were given the go ahead for both camps to negotiate. The big issue here, is again splitting the purse.

Originally they had it that they were going to fight in March but Roach feels they need more time to get Manny ready.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Mayweather wants to protect that ZERO in the loss column, I don't think the fight will happen. This is all smoke and mirrors to save some face.

Latest posts