What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paea plays down Gallen bust-up

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25528658-5018866,00.html
Mickey Paea refuses to say whether he was racially vilified by Paul Gallen

By Ian McCullough
May 23, 2009 St George Illawarra second rower Mickey Paea refused to be drawn when asked whether Cronulla captain Paul Gallen racially abused him in the Dragons' 26-4 win at Toyota Stadium.
“I don't want another headline. Rugby league has had enough bad ones recently.” – Mickey Paea The St George Illawarra second-rower reasons his decision to say nothing.​
Television commentators suggested that Paea may have been racially vilified by Gallen, sparking an uncharacteristic reaction from Sydneysider of Tongan descent midway through the second half, but Paea, 23, would not confirm or deny the incident took place despite making a complaint to the referee on the field about it.

Paea also said he didn't want any action taken against the Sharks, New South Wales and Australia backrower.

"It was a bit of push and shove ... it's a tough game, nothing much more than that, I am happy to leave it there, what happens on the field stays on the field," Paea said.

"It's a tough game, heat of the moment, whatever that was said was said and let's leave it at that.

"I don't want another headline, rugby league has had enough bad ones recently."

Paea spoke to Gallen after the incident.

Paea said the matter was now over in his opinion, and he would not be making a complaint to the NRL.

"I spoke to him on the field, it is sweet, nothing more than that ... it's all good."

Gallen also dismissed the incident as nothing more than push and shove.

"He stepped on my hand and I objected to it," Gallen said.

"There was a bit of push and shove. It was nothing. It was a tough game of footy."

SerbDragon

Coach
im sensing good things about this guy. i think we should look to resign him soon.

i wish he had taken gallens head off though

Godz Illa

Coach
Pretty unusual to see a generally even-tempered guy like Paea lose his cool like that. At the ground I couldn't make much of it but had a sneaking suspicion it was Gallen-related scummery. Good on Mickey for deciding not to pursue, with the game's interests at heart

Godz Illa

Coach
Doing a good job for us, definitely. Was also disappointed he didn't throw his big Tongan fists into Gallen's smarmy chin but hey, the restraint was noble.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Yep. Done and dusted.

How good has the Tongan Torpedo been since getting his chance!

I'm going over to that thread now.

Jasdragon

Juniors
Gallen accused of racial slur

By David Riccio
May 23, 2009 12:00am

DRAGONS 26 SHARKS 4

CRONULLA captain Paul Gallen landed himself and his club in an ugly racism row last night after an altercation with St George Illawarra prop Mickey Paea.

An aggrieved Paea went after Gallen in the 73rd minute with stunning accusations picked up on the Fox Sports microphones. Paea confronted Gallen after a tackle and was heard to say, "he called me a black ... he's a racist''.

And even when the two referees, Tony Des La Heras and Jason Robinson, tried to separate the players, Paea continued to rage at the Sharks captain. He added: "Don't ever say that again''.

Dragons skipper Ben Hornby and Paea approached the referees, with Hornby clearly saying "he wants to make a complaint''. But when the whistle-blowers pressed the matter, Paea decided not to go on with it.

The NRL last night confirmed they had listened to audio of Paea's allegations, but are powerless unless an official complaint is made by St George Illawarra.

All parties tried to distance themselves from any talk of a racial slur after another heated local derby finished with the Sharks plummeting to a ninth straight loss.

"It was just a bit of push and scuffle, what was said out there stays on the field,'' Paea said. "That's all it was. It was a tough game and in the heat of the moment it was a bit of push and scuffle, there was nothing much more than that. I'm happy to leave it there.

"I've spoken to him and it's all right. I spoke to him on the field and shook hands ... there's nothing more than that.''
Gallen, who is set to be named in the NSW Origin team on Monday night, was unfazed and needed to be reminded of the incident by reporters after the match.
"He just stepped on my hand and I objected to it and it was a bit of push and shove ... that's just footy,'' the Sharks skipper said.
The match just added another sorry twist to a season from hell for the Sharks, who are anchored to the bottom of the table. They were committed in the first half but were blown off the park after the break.
The Dragons led 4-0 at halftime after winger Brett Morris continued his rich tryscoring form. He went on to post a hat-trick.
With pleas during the week for Cronulla fans to support their team, they attracted their biggest crowd of the season - 15,201. Ricky Stuart's men played with plenty of energy and spirit, but they again lacked execution at crucial stages of the match.
"I just feel so sorry for our supporters,'' Stuart said. "I thank them so much for turning out. Like this team, we just need to stick tight through this tough period.''
Five-eighth Jamie Soward was dynamic for the Dragons as he shut out the Sharks by sparking three second-half tries in the space of 10 minutes.
Dragons coach Wayne Bennett reserved praise for his players' resilience against an emotional and determined Cronulla outfit. "I was pleased with the second half,'' Bennett said.
"It was always going to be tough here tonight, particularly early. There's a fair bit of emotion around this club at the moment."
Bennett also praised the performance of Morris, who took his season tryscoring tally to 10. "We might have found Brett's best position and he is enjoying playing there. His consistency has gone along with the fact he knows he will be there every week,'' Bennett said.
"But he's is a wonderful talent that is for sure, he is a real throwback from the past. He is one of the few players who is a natural winger.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

Gallen is a f**king grub! If you wanna fix your club, start with f**king him off, he's sh*t anyway!

rushndude

Bench
Gallen is a cat. When Mickey fired up Gallen shat himself and starting harping on about his hand being trod on and shaking it around like a little pansy.

rushndude

Bench
Mickey sounds like a top guy, willing to brush off a fairly serious matter with the best interests of the game in mind.
Had a great game too, another great buy this season!

dragondad

First Grade
The NRL needs to show leadership. To say that it is powerless unless a complaint is made is a joke. A complaint was made. That was obvious. it just went no further on the field. David Gallop needs to sort it out on Monday morning and instruct the NSW selectors to leave Gallen out of the Origin team. He is 'bad apples'.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
in the papers this morning says, paea was heard saying he called me a black ..... DONT call me that again

MattYg1

Bench
Commentators speculating. It was always about something that was said, they just didn't work it out until later.

Yeah those perceptive Fox sports commentators... Brandy and Waz see and hear all... twits...

It was CLEARLY something said...

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
Yeah those perceptive Fox sports commentators... Brandy and Waz see and hear all... twits...

It was CLEARLY something said...

Are you sure they didnt see a bit of biting going on....
n525314156_1923670_1046420.jpg