What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pakistan in NZ - Pyjama tour 2017/18

Wizardman

First Grade
Guptill out to an awful, awful ball. Pretty underwhelming 48 tbh- an innings that never got going. SR of 66. Fakhar gets his first wicket. A proud moment for him and his family, particularly mother Fakhar
I see what you did there!

vvvrulz

Coach
I only have one thing to add: what the hell is it with our love for Mitchell Santner.

JJ

Immortal
I only have one thing to add: what the hell is it with our love for Mitchell Santner.
meh, he's a good odi bowler, at least that he can restrict scoring... and handy with the bat - be nice if he could catch, and bat better

Why he's in the test team mystfies me - he's a purely defensive bowler, has shown little with the bat, and can't catch

Pakistan 123/5 after 29

vvvrulz

Coach
meh, he's a good odi bowler, at least that he can restrict scoring... and handy with the bat - be nice if he could catch, and bat better

He's ok, economy rate around five and no fifties in 44 ODI matches, good bowling average.
Test record much worse as you say.
It feels like it's a desperate grab at Vettori II - except he's got less guile, less smarts and less runs.

What annoys me is that Santner keeps the more talented Sodhi out (18 ODIs) - granted his record is much worse right now but he's a genuine wicket taking bowler and with our pace battery working well we can afford someone a bit more expensive if it means he gets wickets.

Reactions: JJ

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Santner is currently ranked in the top 10 bowlers. Only Boult is ranked higher than him. I don't get why so many NZ fans would want to discard him so swiftly. He seems to get more dues from Indian fans.

Santner was huge last year in winning Chappel Hadlee. He regularly performs and is world class. 10 overs today - 1 for 34 - simply outstanding. Even without bags of wickets. He is doing a Larsenesque role very very well. If batsmen target him - he will get more wickets. Thats the nature of limited overs.

Astle took 2 wickets - but went at 7s and didn't bowl out. Santner's 10 are overs KW can almost bank on safely. Game in game out. Ferguson, CDG, Astle - less so. Good thing Munro can bowl a few.

Sodhi needs to pip his head past Astle if he wants to play more ODI cricket. Remember when Sodhi played as 2nd spinner for NZ - its typically a better pitch for spinners - Hamilton or India for example.

I agree with JJ re Santner in the test team. Santner is struggling in tests. He is batting too high for his present skillat 6 and not taking wickets when batsmen are under no pressure to score. I think Astle is possibly a better choice here right now. Sodhi aint gonna bat 6 or 7 in the test team and doesn't deserve a spot ahead of Astle automatically with his bowling average, aggressive or not. He lost the 'bowl out' they had in India. And didn't do much in his last test series there. Sodhi will get more opportunities and A tours tho. I think its Astle's turn for a crack at tests if Santner is dropped.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Commentators worked out Latham averages 17 with bat in NZ.

Doull calls for Phillips at home and Latham away.

I'm just impressed that Doull has done some reading about cricket for once and wants to talk cricket and team selection.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
That's a disgrace. When it went off for rain, NZ would have been 60% likelihood of winning. Now they come back needing 87 off 11 overs. Appalling and delusional.

Iafeta

Referee
Great stroke making here from Taylor and Guptill. How Pakistan were given the leg up in the first place is still crazy.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Guppy, KW and Taylor keep producing the goods.

Lets hope we get the support acts sorted and ideally established by next World Cup.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
Great stroke making here from Taylor and Guptill. How Pakistan were given the leg up in the first place is still crazy.

I was pretty happy with the equation, in the T20 age with 8 wickets in hand that was a pretty fair target.

Meth

Staff member
ODI 3 underway. Munro throws away his wicket with a reckless shot. 2nd miss in succession- but he is a hit and miss player.

Guy just won 50k with a one handed catch.