What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pakistan Match-Fixing

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
a bit harsh ?

I'd say very bloody harsh but look at the charges: TREASON

zombie jesus

Staff member
Shane Watson, who reported two approaches by an illegal bookmaker in England last year, said he was in "complete shock" at the allegations levelled at Pakistan. Watson and his team-mate Brad Haddin confirmed they were spoken to by the Indian man during the tour and immediately told Australia's manager Steve Bernard.

It has also emerged that Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson were approached during the England tour. Bernard has referred two other bookie-instigated conversations to the ICC during his term as manager.

Watson was invited for drinks by the bookmaker, who the allrounder initially thought was a fan. "I didn't think too much more of it until I found out a bit more information and that he was actually one of the illegal bookmakers," Watson said in Sydney. "It was just a little bit different to what normal fans are." The approach occurred at the Royal Gardens hotel in London, which was the venue of a complaint reported by Cricinfo last year.

Haddin said the man had knocked on his door in the hotel asking if he wanted to go to his room to have a drink. "I quickly rang Steve Bernard and John Rhodes [the ICC's security manager] just to tell them something weird had just happened," Haddin said.

"You don't usually get a knock on your door with someone asking you to come across to your room for a drink and then go out for dinner with someone you don't know." Footage of the person was checked and it was a figure familiar to investigators.

Watson was stunned by the revelations from the fourth Test between England and Pakistan at Lord's. "When I first heard about it I was in complete shock, there's no doubt about that," Watson said. "If the allegations are true then they will unfortunately get a lifetime ban."

The claims surrounding the no-balls delivered by Mohammad Amir, the 18-year-old fast bowler, surprised and upset Watson. "I probably feel for him more than anyone because he's only a young, naive and innocent young guy," Watson said. "Unfortunately he's caught up with something.

"Whether it's in their culture I don't know, I don't know how deep it runs, but it's unfortunate that someone of his skill has got tied up with something that is damaging to cricket and to the individuals. I found him to be a brilliant competitor on the field."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Link

zombie jesus

Staff member
Shane Watson, who reported two approaches by an illegal bookmaker in England last year, said he was in "complete shock" at the allegations levelled at Pakistan. Watson and his team-mate Brad Haddin confirmed they were spoken to by the Indian man during the tour and immediately told Australia's manager Steve Bernard.

It has also emerged that Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson were approached during the England tour. Bernard has referred two other bookie-instigated conversations to the ICC during his term as manager.

Watson was invited for drinks by the bookmaker, who the allrounder initially thought was a fan. "I didn't think too much more of it until I found out a bit more information and that he was actually one of the illegal bookmakers," Watson said in Sydney. "It was just a little bit different to what normal fans are." The approach occurred at the Royal Gardens hotel in London, which was the venue of a complaint reported by Cricinfo last year.

Haddin said the man had knocked on his door in the hotel asking if he wanted to go to his room to have a drink. "I quickly rang Steve Bernard and John Rhodes [the ICC's security manager] just to tell them something weird had just happened," Haddin said.

"You don't usually get a knock on your door with someone asking you to come across to your room for a drink and then go out for dinner with someone you don't know." Footage of the person was checked and it was a figure familiar to investigators.

Watson was stunned by the revelations from the fourth Test between England and Pakistan at Lord's. "When I first heard about it I was in complete shock, there's no doubt about that," Watson said. "If the allegations are true then they will unfortunately get a lifetime ban."

The claims surrounding the no-balls delivered by Mohammad Amir, the 18-year-old fast bowler, surprised and upset Watson. "I probably feel for him more than anyone because he's only a young, naive and innocent young guy," Watson said. "Unfortunately he's caught up with something.

"Whether it's in their culture I don't know, I don't know how deep it runs, but it's unfortunate that someone of his skill has got tied up with something that is damaging to cricket and to the individuals. I found him to be a brilliant competitor on the field."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Link

Ridders

Coach
No surprise tbh. To assume that Pakistan are the only sub-continental team to be involved in spot-fixing is pretty naive imo.

I can imagine how it would be easy for a poor player, like Amir, to justify spot fixing for such a relatively minor thing as a couple of no-balls. It's not directly affecting the outcome of the game and he's getting paid.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Finally some common sesnse, onya Tubby :cool:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/banning-pakistan-too-harsh-mark-taylor-20100901-14n0v.html

Australian cricket great Mark Taylor has hosed down calls to ban Pakistan from world cricket, saying such a decision would be "too harsh".

In the wake of the betting scandal which has gripped the cricketing world, Pakistan has come under the microscope for the widespread levels of alleged match-fixing and spot-fixing amongst their player group.

But the former Test captain said it would be detrimental to the game for an entire nation to be banished from the international scene, and preferred that punishment should be handed out to the individuals involved.

"If they have one person, two people, three people involved in match-fixing or fixing certain deliveries ... to throw the whole nation? No, I'm not for that.

"I think it would not be a good thing for world cricket to have Pakistan not involved."

Taylor said that match-fixing may be a problem that sport could never remove itself from, and that the suggestion of foul play could stick to cricket well into the future - even if a national ban was enforced.

"You're always going to ask those questions," he said.

"(If) you throw them out, when they come back you're still going to ask those questions.

"I think all you can do is penalise the individuals and embark on an education process and hopefully stop people from doing this sort of thing, but I think throwing the nation out of world cricket I don't think is right.

"(Match-fixing) is probably there in all sports. You cannot monitor people 24/7.

"It comes down to education and it comes down at the end of the day saying 'if you get involved in it, the repercussions are going to be damning'."

zombie jesus

Staff member
Fixed Sydney Test a '$3m windfall for Pakistan players
Jamie Pandaram
September 6, 2010

A PAKISTAN player has claimed crooked teammates made £1.8million ($3million) by fixing the Sydney Test last January, as Salman Butt was caught with up to £15,000 of the money used in a News of the World sting to expose alleged spot-fixing during the fourth Test against England at Lord's.

The opening batsman Yasir Hameed inadvertently told an undercover reporter from the newspaper that Pakistan players were fixing "almost every match".

"In the Sydney Test match they made 1.8million – they gave away the match," Hameed said. "I don't know how the money was divided up. They were doing it [fixing] in almost every match. God knows what they were up to. Scotland Yard was after them for ages. It makes me angry because I'm playing my best and they are trying to lose."

Hameed, who was not part of the Australian tour, had denied making the comments but a video was released showing him speaking Urdu, with subtitles backing up the newspaper's quotes.

Butt has told police that the money given to him by his manager and alleged fixer Mazhar Majeed via News of the World was for a sponsorship deal.

Majeed also manages the pacemen Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir, who along with Butt face up to 23 charges under the International Cricket Council's anti-corruption laws and possible criminal charges of conspiracy to defraud bookmakers.

Majeed was filmed taking a bribe of £150,000 and then predicting exactly when Asif and Amir would bowl no-balls in the infamous Test. The three players claim no knowledge of Majeed's alleged criminal activities.

The Pakistan team's legal adviser, Tafazzul Rizvi, told Geo TV: "The players also showed their written contracts for these sponsorship deals to police. The players have contested the allegation and also volunteered themselves for police investigations.

"But just having currency does not mean the player is involved in criminal or illegal activities.

"They were not aware of their agent's illegal activities. They only had a relationship of player-agent with him. They have constantly proclaimed their innocence of the charges against them. The money transferred to the players by Mazhar related to sponsorship and endorsement deals."

It's understood a fourth player is being investigated.

Meanwhile, Pakistan's high commissioner to Britain, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, who last week suggested the players had been set up, changed his stance yesterday, demanding a "most draconian penalty" if they are found guilty.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...fall-for-pakistan-players-20100905-14w9d.html

snoozer

Bench
Into the fire: disgraced Pakistan trio return home to angry protests

Nick Hoult

September 12, 2010
pakistan-420x0.jpg
Beanpole bowler ... Mohammad Irfan, a towering 2.15 metres tall, stands out among the Pakistan huddle before the one-dayer against England at Chester-le-Street. England won by 24 runs. Photo: AP

THE three Pakistan cricketers at the centre of a spot-fixing scandal were allowed to fly home on Friday, but with assurances they would be available to Scotland Yard detectives for further questioning.
Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir returned to Lahore amid tight security after being given permission to leave Britain by London police.
The players landed in the eastern city in time for the Muslim holiday of Eid on Saturday. A few hundred protesters picketed the airport with banners and waved shoes as a sign of the players' disgrace. But they did not get a chance to confront the accused three as the players were whisked away through a back exit.
Earlier this week, Ijaz Butt, the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board, was jeered by a large crowd when he returned from London.
The holiday to mark the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan will also ensure the city is quieter than normal, which will suit the three men. They have been pilloried at home and a donkey daubed with their names was pelted with rotten tomatoes amid calls for life bans if the players are found guilty.
The trio was questioned for nine hours last week in connection with an alleged fixing ring exposed by The News of the World.
A fourth player, the left-arm seamer Wahab Riaz, remains with the one-day squad and is due to be questioned by police on Tuesday.
The International Cricket Council has suspended Butt, Asif and Amir, and will establish an independent tribunal once they have lodged a reply to the charges.
The three were allowed to return home only after the police were given written confirmation by Pakistan's interior minister, Rehman Malik, that they would return to London if needed for further questioning.
Butt and Asif both live in Lahore but Amir is from a small town in the Punjab. All three are expected to spend the weekend with their families before returning to Lahore, where they could face further questions from the Pakistan authorities.
Wajid Shamsul Hasan, Pakistan's High Commissioner to Britain, yesterday reiterated his stance that the players could have been framed. ''Initially, there was very great anger but once they offered themselves to be independently interrogated and claimed they were innocent, people … realised there could be a set-up,'' he said.
Telegraph, London
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...rn-home-to-angry-protests-20100911-155wp.html

poor donkey.

Latest posts