What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pakistan tour of India

Hallatia

Referee
I know India suck at the moment, but, the intense rivalry between these two sides makes a series between them a really mouth watering prospect regardless of the fact that one side really should trounce the other going on recent form and the relative skill each side's players have shown both individually and collectively over the past year or so.

The scheduling is interesting, the first match will be played on Christmas. It's only a T20I and I know test cricket has been played on Christmas before. But international cricket on Christmas is something I've not seen in a while.

I hope this tour is as awesome as it should be and that Pakistan really give it to India

TheParraboy

Staff member
Christmas in those neck of the woods is probably like a normal day over here

(Only about 3% of the population are christians in india)

TheParraboy

Staff member
actually it is a puplic holiday over there but 97% of the population dont celebrate XMAS

TheParraboy

Staff member
just because they're not Christian, doesn't mean they don't celebrate it

im sure many of the hindus and muslims (94% of the population) will be going to church and singing xmas carols to celebrate xmas :sarcasm:

Hallatia

Referee
that's not the only way you can celebrate it

my family's not Christian and we often have get togethers on Christmas. Anything which brings people together (especially family) is good

TheParraboy

Staff member
that's not the only way you can celebrate it

my family's not Christian and we often have get togethers on Christmas. Anything which brings people together (especially family) is good

cause its a puplic holiday :lol::lol:

Hallatia

Referee
I would love to see Pakistan completely whitewash them in each format on their home soil. That would be most epic

Hallatia

Referee
I'm still excited to see Pakistan play India, I'm hoping for some real cricket between the two sides soon. This one wasn't actually on the FTP, but the FTP had a slot in there in August for a series between Pakistan and India

Hallatia

Referee
Not really about this tour, but quite relevant to it
Pakistan's tour of West Indies to be split
Umar Farooq
December 19, 2012

Pakistan's tour of the West Indies in July 2013 is likely to be split into two parts in order to accommodate the PCB's plan of hosting India in August for a series that is yet to be confirmed. Pakistan were due to play two Tests, five ODIs and two Twenty20s in the Caribbean in June and July but now they will only play either Tests or limited-overs matches to create a window for India.

According to the FTP, West Indies are scheduled to host Pakistan from the last week in June to the last week in July but they also have a tri-series against India and Sri Lanka during that time. To avoid the clash with Pakistan, the WICB had asked the PCB if their Caribbean tour could be rescheduled to August. That, however, would interfere with the PCB's hopes of hosting India, so Pakistan's West Indies tour had to be split.

ESPNcricinfo understands that after the upcoming limited-over series in India starting on December 25, the PCB is hoping to invite India to play another series in Pakistan.

"The limited-over series isn't [just] what we wanted," a PCB official said. "We wanted long-term bonding with India on reciprocal basis, and to extend our relationship we will invite India to play a series next year in August. We will find a way to at least keep the window open."

Cricket ties between Pakistan and India were put on ice following the 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai and the upcoming series will be the first in four years.

Pakistan had also sought a postponement of its scheduled tour of Zimbabwe later this month so that they can tour India. Pakistan were scheduled to tour Zimbabwe before their South Africa visit in 2013, but Zimbabwe Cricket agreed to put it off.
Sauce
I hope the go for just tests. When the choice is between anything and test cricket, the answer should always be test cricket. That's certainly how I live my life ...

TheParraboy

Staff member
This all depends if India agree to tour Pakistan in August.

Plus if the tour is split, doesnt it mean they just come back and finish the tour at a later date (later in the year?) so neither ODIs nor tests will be lost whatever the initial split is

Hallatia

Referee
I'm so excited that these two sides are finally meeting again
Famous rivalry resumes after five-year break
The Preview by Abhishek Purohit
December 24, 2012

Match facts
December 25, 2012
Start time 1900 (1330 GMT)

Big Picture
Just the plain fact that this tour is actually happening is a gargantuan achievement for the Pakistan Cricket Board and its chairman Zaka Ashraf. How many diplomatic and political channels must have been traversed, how many meetings arranged and attended, how many people cajoled and persuaded, and how many prayers said in the hope that nothing goes wrong at the last moment. Well, Pakistan are finally here, on Indian soil, for their first bilateral tour in five years. It does not matter that it is apologetically short, it does not matter that it is barely squeezed between the two legs of England's India visit. Thank heavens to Christmas then, for ensuring a gap existed in the first place for the two Twenty20 internationals and three ODIs to be sneaked in.
The rivalry needs no introduction. In the earlier part of the previous decade, the historic Indian tour of Pakistan in 2003-04 - after another five-year break in ties - heralded a surfeit of bilateral series to the extent the rivalry began to feel a bit jaded. Since 2007, or more pertinently, since the Mumbai attacks of 2008, fans have had to rely on crumbs - a Champions Trophy game in 2009, a couple of Asia Cup matches, a World Cup semi-final in 2011, and a World Twenty20 clash in 2012.

MS Dhoni might say it is just another series but it isn't. Privately for the players, and openly for the fans, India v Pakistan will always be a coming together of shared history, culture, language, fear, hopes, love, hatred. India v Pakistan will always convert a neutral venue into a sea of flags of the two countries. India v Pakistan will always do strange things to players; it will drain flair out of those who have it, and it will inject flair into those who haven't had it till then, and won't have it thereafter. India v Pakistan will always make temporary fans out of people who run away from cricket otherwise.

Too much cricket? Underperforming Indian team? No Sachin Tendulkar? All valid concerns and worries. But come the first ball in Bangalore on Tuesday evening, few will be able to resist watching.

Form guide (Completed games, most recent first)
India LWWWL
Pakistan LWLWW
In the spotlight
The last time these sides met, in the World Twenty20 in Colombo, a hesitant Mohammad Hafeez set the stage for a dull performance from Pakistan. The captain, having chosen to bat, made a 28-ball 15, defending and defending without intent. Hafeez's approach continued when Pakistan fielded, diffidence replacing his usual pro-active, snappy self. It had to be the pressure of an India-Pakistan game, for in their next match against Australia, Pakistan were back to playing aggressive, stirring cricket. How will Hafeez cope this time?
Virat Kohli is one young Indian batsman many Pakistani fans admire and despise in equal measure. The man is brash, but he gets the runs. He swears, but he is dependable. He's played a couple of match-winning innings against them already, including the outstanding 183 in the Asia Cup earlier this year in Dhaka.

Stats and Trivia
This will be the first T20 to be played between the two sides in India.
Pakistan have played four bilateral limited-overs series in India, and have won two.
Quotes
"We want him to stay at the peak. We don't want to put too much pressure on him. At the same time, other bowlers also have to take wickets to give confidence to him."
Mohammad Hafeez on Saeed Ajmal

"T20 is slightly different. You have to be a bit unorthodox and try a few different things. It is different from the longer format. So I think a few games will give us time to get into the groove."
MS Dhoni
Sauce

Latest posts