What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers $1 million war chest

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I dont think we will go for an outside back Fobsta. We will stick with the combination we have now 1.Wesser 2.Gordon 3.Jennings 4.Lewis 5.Rooney.

However, i wont be surprised if we target a front rower and Luke O'Donnell

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
I seriously thought that Wesser, Lewis, Rooney, Gower, Priddis, Clinton, Waterhouse and Pritchard would all be on fairly decent money. Would that not be a lot of the cap there? Add the rest of the squad and I would not thought Penrith had a lot of spare money to play with

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Alot of the players you mentioned were former Origin and Test representatives, now that they aren't their value has decreased.

yobbo84

Coach
The Mighty Panther said:
Hegarty never played for Penrith.

Joe was playing Bartercard Cup in NZ and had only played a couple of first grade games with the Warriors before Penrith spotted him.

I was listing who I though the penny's two big signings would be!

JJ

Immortal
Azkatro said:
Are you crazy? Priddis won a premiership with Brisbane in 2000, and Bennett has said a big reason why they went so poorly (by comparison) in years to follow was because they let Priddis go and couldn't replace him. Clive Churchill medal winner in the grand final, no less ... set two tries up and scored himself!

And anyone who thinks Martin Lang wasn't a cornerstone in their forward pack all year in 2003 is barking mad.

The point was more that they weren't superstars... and Roarty and Howland certainly weren't.

They were/are very fine players who wouldn't have cost the earth, and were oustanding buys.

As were the aforementioned Mortimer and Kelly who were both veterans who brought experience, tougness and a winning culture to the Panthers (as did Paul Dunn).

Penrith has a recent history of pretty smart buying IMO

panthersballboy

Juniors
Panther_Daz said:
I dont think we will go for an outside back Fobsta. We will stick with the combination we have now 1.Wesser 2.Gordon 3.Jennings 4.Lewis 5.Rooney.

However, i wont be surprised if we target a front rower and Luke O'Donnell

Agreed. That backline is pretty good now that Gordon and Jennings seem to be coming into their own and Rooney and Lewis recapturing their form that saw them play Origin.

I think it will be props and maybe back up halves we will target.

Raider_69

Post Whore
you blokes can have david howell, i hear elliott is a big fan of his
which takes his fan tally to 3... elliott, howell's old lady and his dog

Iafeta

Referee
The Mighty Panther said:
Hegarty never played for Penrith.

Joe was playing Bartercard Cup in NZ and had only played a couple of first grade games with the Warriors before Penrith spotted him.

He had played 26 games for the Warriors, actually. So he was hardly a couple of games, or hardly just spotted either. But whatever story suits I guess.

yobbo84 said:
I was listing who I though the penny's two big signings would be!

Oh fair enough.

I would have loved to have Hegarty after the 2003 season, as I thought he was the Roosters best player that year. His form did take a bit of a dip though he seems to have regained some lately.

Would be nice to see Joe come home, but we already have too many 2nd rowers.

Latest posts