What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers need to be held to account

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah but they aren't trying to make a deal to move it from Auckland for no reason, so you can hope want you want but it wont stay there which makes the whole growing the game point invalid, but you keep banging on about that like it actually means something lol. Atleast if they move it to Brisbane you wont need Hayne and JT to sell tickets, people will show up regardless.

Your explanation was shit, your point about it being in a union town is shit because the NRL is literally trying to pull it away from Auckland so it must not being doing much 'growing the game' or atleast they don't care if it is or not.

Your point about the women is dumb, you don't need every club sending a squad with numerous NRL stars for to promote the jillaroos so you're reaching there. Women's sports in general is taking off around the globe, but that was a nice try.

As for highlighting the attacking brilliance of rugby league, its the young guys who are killing it in this format anyway so that doesn't help your argument at all.

Crowds have been gradually dropping in Auckland, this seems to be a trend for these kind of events in NZ (see: Wellington Sevens crowds) - I would hope we take it somewhere else that isn't already a big Rugby League town, ie. not Brisbane and Sydney.
If your rambling point is that it loses some of the appeal in Brisbane, I agree.

If you think people are gonna show up to watch an under 20s comp with no big names just because it's Brisbane then you're delusional. You're literally trying to argue that superstars don't sell tickets to sports events.

My point about the women is dumb because it doesn't suit your whinge. You think more people would be interested in watching and playing womens RL without the stage they've been given in Auckland for the past 4 years? Global women's sport is growing because sport organisations are making an effort. This is one of the NRL's more succesful ones. No ones denying they could be doing more.

betcats

Referee
Crowds have been gradually dropping in Auckland, this seems to be a trend for these kind of events in NZ (see: Wellington Sevens crowds) - I would hope we take it somewhere else that isn't already a big Rugby League town, ie. not Brisbane and Sydney.
If your rambling point is that it loses some of the appeal in Brisbane, I agree.

If you think people are gonna show up to watch an under 20s comp with no big names just because it's Brisbane then you're delusional. You're literally trying to argue that superstars don't sell tickets to sports events.

My point about the women is dumb because it doesn't suit your whinge. You think more people would be interested in watching and playing womens RL without the stage they've been given in Auckland for the past 4 years? Global women's sport is growing because sport organisations are making an effort. This is one of the NRL's more succesful ones. No ones denying they could be doing more.

Bullshit stop putting words in my mouth. I'm arguing that if we need to send stars to sell tickets its f**king pointless. Stop with this NYC tournament crap too, I never said that you are just making shit up to give your bullshit points some level of validity. Clubs would still be interested in the prize money and plenty of stars/nrl players would be interested in going. I'm just saying if a club doesn't want to send any of their best players then don't force them. And if you think people wouldn't show up in Brisbane you are kidding yourself.

Oh and the AFL just launched a womens league, how they do that without the 9s? There are plenty of other chances to give the women a stage to perform on with out the 9s, how f**king stupid. The women have been pushed by a lot more than just the 9s.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm arguing that if we need to send stars to sell tickets its f**king pointless

How do you possibly stand by this lol. NRL crowds drop massively when stars are out. Is that pointless? If the top 50 players in the NRL disappeared tomorrow the comp would sure as shit take a big hit in interest.

I didn't say that the 9s is the only way to play women's football, I said it has been a currently successful way. Again, I don't know how this is disputable. The 9s has been huge for them.

Anyway. I'm out. Agree to disagree.

franklin2323

Immortal
It is what it is. They might get injured in trials. Or do an ACL at training. Or in the All Stars match. Or in Round 1. Or in a bloody car crash.

Breaking your leg in round 1 doesn't make it any better because 'at least it's a real game'. It's a long season and if your halfback goes down in round 26 you're just as f**ked for the finals.

of course it can. The clubs should be able to choose who they want as it's the coaches/CEO's etc head on the chopping block if they have a bad season

betcats

Referee
How do you possibly stand by this lol. NRL crowds drop massively when stars are out. Is that pointless? If the top 50 players in the NRL disappeared tomorrow the comp would sure as shit take a big hit in interest.

I didn't say that the 9s is the only way to play women's football, I said it has been a currently successful way. Again, I don't know how this is disputable. The 9s has been huge for them.

Anyway. I'm out. Agree to disagree.

Stand by what? That the 9s is pointless? Because it is. I don't even know what you are arguing now you just make shit up and argue against that. I never said stars don't sell tickets, where you pulled that from I have no idea.

Of course our stars create more interest. But as its a pre season tournament in a format that makes it all attack we should be able to drum up enough interest in it without every team being forced to send some of their best players and if there isn't even that much interest being created in it then it is not 'growing the game' at all is it?

The last MVPs are Connor Watson and Bevan French. In this years team of the tournament the most capped NRL player was Matagi and second was Waqa Blake with 40 odd games. But yeah the tourney is all about the NRL stars right? Its would be a shit tournament without them. The two finalist this year barely sent the minimum required, in fact Penrith didn't even send the bare minimum lol, like Penrith were literally admonished by the stupid NRL for sending a team that was good enough to almost go undefeated.

Like you have said in your comment above, without our stars the crowds dry up, so why would CEOs and coaches want to risk them in a meaningless pre season tournament? Don't give me this growing the game crap because that's just bullshit. Its not even rugby league, if you like the 9s and had never seen an NRL game theres every chance you wont like the NRL game. If we wont to grow our game lets grow it with the real product being quality all the time, not some quick gimmick.

Like this tournament was the idea of some kiwi businessman right? Im fairly certain it was not the NRLs idea which is another reason I just cant buy into the 9s being important for 'growing the game'.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why is nines pointless? Because you don't think it has value? Heres a few points that make it of value to me:
1. Introduces Aucklanders to the game who may not go along to Warriors games yet
2. Gives Fox two solid days of NRL tv content in the off season
3. Gives young players a format to make a name for themselves
4. Gives the clubs a nice payday
5. If used correctly could be a springboard to international development of the game and inclusion in major sporting events
6. Is more interesting for fans than pre season games played in front of a few hundred people
7. Is fun to watch

taipan

Referee
Why is nines pointless? Because you don't think it has value? Heres a few points that make it of value to me:
1. Introduces Aucklanders to the game who may not go along to Warriors games yet
5. If used correctly could be a springboard to international development of the game and inclusion in major sporting events
6. Is more interesting for fans than pre season games played in front of a few hundred people
7. Is fun to watch

I just fainted,I actually agree with the Pom.

AJB1102

First Grade
Your point about the women is dumb, you don't need every club sending a squad with numerous NRL stars for to promote the jillaroos so you're reaching there. Women's sports in general is taking off around the globe, but that was a nice try.

Nah I'm not sure about that. JT, Shaun Johnson and a host of household names on telly saying "I'm gonna be there" will be a lot more effective at gaining attention and interest than any Jillaroo. Thats not to take anything away from the Jillaroos but their profile simply isn't high enough to draw much attention - would you rather have Thurston or Ruan Simms promote your footy tournament? But they can leverage off the profile of the stars of the male version of the game.

snickers007

Juniors
7. Is fun to watch

While all of this is true, none of it requires NRL teams to send their best players.

franklin2323

Immortal
While all of this is true, none of it requires NRL teams to send their best players.

Bingo. This is all the Panthers mean't by their comments tbh fringe guys will put in more than a star trying not to get injured will.

Broncs, Parra, NQ all took strong teams and only 1 made the semis yet TV ratings were decent all weekend

Perth Red

Post Whore

You think crowds will turn up, people will watch on tv, sponsors will jump on board and media will give it much coverage without some star involvement? From a performance on pitch point of view I agree it matters little, from an event point of view it is essential.

Would be really interesting given we have had two near sell out nines, weather was perfect etc why crowds didn't turn out this time. Withdrawal of stars and negative panthers media maybe? Was the marketing and promotion any different this year, maybe the organisers and NRl got complacent after two successful years? Guns and roses were on but surely that would have had minimal impact? Anyone in Auckland cast light why after two great years the crowds this year were ordinary?

betcats

Referee
Hahaha Oh yes it was Gus and Brians comments that drove the crowds away, lol you muppet. maybe the novelty has worn off? Its not a real competition, its whoever doesn't drop it the most wins. There's no substance to it at all, That's why teams like the panthers and roosters can beat the star studded teams.

It might be time to accept that your precious nines isn't as popular as you are want it to be instead of trying to blame falling crowds and ratings on the panther who almost won the pointless tournament despite not giving a f**k.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, the right to have an opinion. It's OK for you and me to hide behind cartoon characters and criticise an institution, but not someone who is involved and experienced? You think we should all toe the party line eh?

If they are paying you yes. Good luck being negative in the media about your employer or their business and keeping your job lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This "growing the game" line gets trotted out way to much in RL these days. We move origin and club games already to places like Perth, Melbourne, Darwin and NZ and country NSW. IF the NRL really wants to grow the game they need to get busy with the schools and junior levels(there are AFL ovals in schools all across NSW now), a pointless 9s tournament isn't bringing new fans to the game(its not even real footy) its just fattening some wallets. People use that line like its the be all end all, its f**king stupid we have clubs across Sydney who cant get a decent home crowd but they are forced to risk their best players in some shoddy format of the game in a preseason tourney to "grow the game".

You need to look around the country and internationally if you think nines has no role in growing the game. Its the best format we have for doing so. Nice blend between touch but with real tackling. Easier for developing countries to play and put out teams, harder to get flogged in when there is a skill gap etc etc. I get you are only interested in your club and how it will do this season but thankfully those in charge have bigger mandates and nines is one format that can support them to meet strategic growth of the game goals.

The NRL, and hopefully world nines one day, are the pinnacle of a exciting form of the game. Cricket and Union is giving us a lesson, we would be dumb to ignore it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
you guys won and got 370k or something. If Friend or Pearce played and got injured. Does it make up for the poor season coming up?

Is there any evidence that there is more risk of injury paying in the nines than taking part in pre season training or other trial games? I doubt it, at least the nines benefits the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hahaha Oh yes it was Gus and Brians comments that drove the crowds away, lol you muppet. maybe the novelty has worn off? Its not a real competition, its whoever doesn't drop it the most wins. There's no substance to it at all, That's why teams like the panthers and roosters can beat the star studded teams.

It might be time to accept that your precious nines isn't as popular as you are want it to be instead of trying to blame falling crowds and ratings on the panther who almost won the pointless tournament despite not giving a f**k.

I was asking a question, something changed this year compared to previous two clearly. Wonder what? Doubt it was just one factor, that's why id be interested in fans from Aucklands opinions.

And yes negative publicity is eaten up by the media, creates public perception, leads to public behaviour. Just saying.

I love the nines,
I loved it more in 2014 and 2015 when sharks went better

but its a cool concept all the same

it would be cool to go to certainly

Perth Red

Post Whore
If RLWC wasn't on this year Id have gone. Hopefully next year, unless its Sydney or Brisbane then the venue would put me off as going somewhere I haven't been would be as much the value as watching the nines when you pay as much us westerners do to travel.

Went to the all stars game a few years ago at Suncorp and really enjoyed the event of it.

Its shame RL fans have such a short attention span, seems a couple of years and they aren't interested anymore.