What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers V Raiders

WestyLife

First Grade
Watching the game again and the Papalii try was on Martin. He basically let him run past him and be 1 on 1 with Api. The start was really switched off for some reason.

Iamback

Coach
Watching the game again and the Papalii try was on Martin. He basically let him run past him and be 1 on 1 with Api. The start was really switched off for some reason.

Kikau sets the linespeed up
Luai the energy

Took a while to get started missing both. Api was huge early on getting us going

Girds89

Bench
Kikau sets the linespeed up
Luai the energy

Took a while to get started missing both. Api was huge early on getting us going
Kiks shooting out of the line every 3 or 4 sets is not setting the line speed... hes also our worst player at getting into marker.

Line speed is set by api.. he is a freak. Hes fitness is insane. He is the one who brings the boys forward in defence.

Kiks is great at shooting up and stopping a half...but thats not line speed. Line speed is a consistent play, you need it every tackle. One big tackle where he shoots out every 15 tackles doesnt equate to line speed.

I dont really think weve missed luais energy. Certainly havent missed his penalties. We just miss his footy playing and connection with the left.

He just needs to keep his head down. This team has enough energy from the likes of critta and too etc.

Luais energy gives away to many dumb penalties. Just need him to run the ball more and get his grubbers going again

Iamback

Coach
Kiks shooting out of the line every 3 or 4 sets is not setting the line speed... hes also our worst player at getting into marker.

Line speed is set by api.. he is a freak. Hes fitness is insane. He is the one who brings the boys forward in defence.

Kiks is great at shooting up and stopping a half...but thats not line speed. Line speed is a consistent play, you need it every tackle. One big tackle where he shoots out every 15 tackles doesnt equate to line speed.

I dont really think weve missed luais energy. Certainly havent missed his penalties. We just miss his footy playing and connection with the left.

He just needs to keep his head down. This team has enough energy from the likes of critta and too etc.

Luais energy gives away to many dumb penalties. Just need him to run the ball more and get his grubbers going again

So Kiks rushes out by himself does he?

The whole left side goes together and as such the rest of the side follows

Girds89

Bench
So Kiks rushes out by himself does he?

The whole left side goes together and as such the rest of the side follows
Alot of the times he does shoot up by himself.

But your missing the point about line speed haha....

Him shooting up once every 3 sets and everyone going with him is a one of play.

Api has the best line speed ive ever seen. He does it almost every tackle..

We are a great defensive unit and everyone contributes but theres is a few others who contribute way more to our line speed than kiks.

Api leads the way. Which makes sense being in the middle

mxlegend99

Referee
Martin slipped whilst attempting to tackle.

He just lazily threw his shoulder at Papalii. No need to make excuses.

If that makes you happier with life to say that......go for it.

But don't let facts change your narrative eh ?
Having just rewatched the highlights. I don't see any slip on Martin at all. @WestyLife has it spot on. It was a lazy attempt because Martin hesitated on making a defensive decision.

Not that it matters. Every player in the competition has missed some basic tackles before. Not like he was poor defensively all game.

Fangs

Coach
Martin hits hard but misses as many tackles as any second rower in the competition. Just checking his stats now he is 8th for miss tackles alongisde Korisau. So not out of character for him.

WestyLife

First Grade
Having just rewatched the highlights. I don't see any slip on Martin at all. @WestyLife has it spot on. It was a lazy attempt because Martin hesitated on making a defensive decision.

Not that it matters. Every player in the competition has missed some basic tackles before. Not like he was poor defensively all game.

Exactly. My comment was a critique of the first 10 minutes or so. Api scoring and Fish being sent seemed to wake everyone up and they defended brilliantly for a lot of the game.

Munky

Coach
Commentators said he didn't know which way to go - i.e. he hesitated. As MX said, he made a mistake, not the end of the world. Even I made a mistake once - never forget the day :).

False memories are a thing.

hindy111

Post Whore
Thats true, the Bulldogs have kicked on without Trent.

Do you think they are a whole lot better? They beat the Roosters and Cowboys with Barrett. Lost by a point at Manly. And where in a lot of games till the last 20mins. Plenty of games they lost by 10.
They did flog the Eels but wins over Knights,Tigers and Titans. I dunno. Are they as good as those wins over Roosters and Cowboys? Its a small sample size imo. They where 10-0 up and lost 28-14. The Cowboys come home 28-4 and without Feldt and McLean.

I'm curious how much better Dogs become. JMK is playing very good footy and Vaughns been their stand out Prop the last 6 weeks. Both will be gone. Replaced by what I'd consider upgrades but by how much? If went on form JMK has had a better season then Mahoney who has had a poor season so far.
Kikau is a huge weapon but let's see how he helps the defense along with Reed.

Pomoz

Bench
The forwards all started lethargically. Missed tackles,dropped balls, basic errors culminating in Papali strolling over like he was on holiday. Barely ruffled his shirt.

Once the Raiders scored and tried the rough stuff, we woke up. When we went down to 12 men, we completely dominated them in defense. We weren’t “another brick in the wall”, we were the whole wall. Even the commentators were astounded at our defense.

I can only applaud Ivan. He has built a culture strong on team and effort. If we were a stick of rock the words “team first" would be written through it.

Dylan Edwards epitomises that culture. He repeatedly went up to catch the ball with the sound of thundering boots in his ears as he was lined up and smashed. Again and again. He then took a hit up to help the forwards. Does the man not feel pain? Inspirational stuff.

I always thought the 91 team were tough with MG, Dunn et al, but other than Freddy, whom is nails hard, the backs were average toughness.

Now I think this team is by far the toughest we have produced. I don’t mean overt MG, JWH hard men, I mean men who go where others fear to tread. Every one of them are fearless. Even Crichton, who looks more like a rap star than a footy player, is tough. Split ear? No problem, headgear on, good to go.

Our backs play like props, they belt it up and get smashed and don’t seem to care. The Panthers have created a new model for backs. Teams have always had the odd back like Mansour or Adam McDonald who plays like forward, but we have taken it to another level. It has changed the balance of the team because the forwards are fresher in defense giving us the ability to drive teams backwards without the ball. Against the Raiders, we demonstrated this with wave after wave of smothering defense. A black wall of threshing limbs engulfing everything in its path. Resistance is futile, we are the Panthers.

That said, the downside is we don’t have a lot of speed in our backs. Even if they are quick at the start, they are buggered doing plenty of the donkey work. It’s why we don’t blow up the scoreboard like the Storm and South’s do. We just don’t have the zip to slice teams up.