What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papua New Guinea

mikkolos

Juniors
I was wondering if anybody in the know could tell me why PNG aren;t a force in the international arena? The entire population loves the sport and they are full of natural athletes, big, fast guys. The only factor i can think of is money, if this is the case, why aren't the RLIF pumping money into them?
On a side note, could somebody post the PNG team from the match played against Australias PM XIII last month?

Sun_Down

Juniors
I have read that, the people of PNG, are traditionally smaller than that of Samoa/Tonga etc. (Are they NOT Polynesians?)

The RLIF has done some very good things:
*The AIDS/Violence awareness match
*Annual matches against an Invitational side/Junior Kangaroo
*(I think) They set up the SP Cup again

There is probably a whole host of other things we do not see, such as coaching clinics, materials etc.

But they should be doing a lot more, a one-off against some Australian side is not very stimulating. They desereve better than that.

joshreading

Staff member
PNGers are melanesians like the Fijians. Smaller yes, still so much potential going to waste without adequate resources

Latest posts