What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra Fans and the QLD Flood Crisis

Hellsy

Immortal
It was canned thru lack of organisation I think, no-one seemed to really put their hand up.. I guess we were all busy leading up to Chrissy

Tony Bongo

Bench
Just an aside,

if that type of rain hits sydney, which areas would be affected most?

San Souci, etc.

What about near the rivers, e.g Parra river

When I lived in Westmead in 88 ( I think) we had a flash flood that washed cars away similar to the footage Twizzle posted. I remember a car sitting on the handrails of the creek down the road that flowed into the Parramatta river.

jk13

First Grade
my pool is a giant chocolate milkshake, but thats nothing compared to hearing that 4yr child falling off the rescue boat this arvo. heart breaking stuff

parra pete

Referee
I have a new found admiration for Anna Bligh...I think she has been great under the circumstances.
Who'd want to be a politician? She has been very tough, caring, in a very sad and unimaginable situation.
These floods are way ABOVE politics, and I hope Politics - and the blame game- does not come into it at any stage..

Parra Guru

Coach
I was actually surprised that they took that long to evacuate those businesses near the river etc. They always knew the river was going to break and what was the point of people being at work... all they would have been doing was looking out the window or on the net waiting to be told to go home! My Step Mum didn't get tp leave her work until about 2:30pm local time, and to make things worse she had left her mobile at home! Thankfully she made it OK though.
Funds raised as at 11.00am, 11 January 2011:

$32,373,484
http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
Chris walker appears to be very active and vocal on twitter about doing something for the victoms, I'm proud to call him our own...

onya Walks...

Gronk

Staff member
Love the way that Aussies dig deep when the going gets tough for their mates.

There are farmers who will lose 100's of thousands of dollars from crops and this (for example) is where much of the aid should be directed.

Those home owners who elected to be uninsured will also receive benefit however I have mixed emotions about them.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder just how much the insurance companies will pay out.

Some of those in flood zones with cheap premiums may not be paid out.

We saw plenty of this crap in the Victorian bushfires because people built their houses in high risk fire zones.

Gronk

Staff member
No doubt the insurance companies will play hardball with those home/business owners who failed to declare that they lived within a <1:100 flood risk.

Of course there are many who elect not to insure for flood because they cannot afford the loaded premium. I saw a antique dealer from Toowoomba (?) who said that his insurance went up from $800 to $8000 if he wanted flood insurance for his stock. He elected not to insure and lost $400k worth of stock apparently.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I wonder just how much the insurance companies will pay out.

Some of those in flood zones with cheap premiums may not be paid out.

We saw plenty of this crap in the Victorian bushfires because people built their houses in high risk fire zones.

I would imagine that the publicity will go into overdrive if insurance companies play hardball...

I dare them to be pricks about it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Skynews are reporting a restaurant just got washed down the river, it was moored.

Suncorp stadium is underwater and one of the stands are on fire due to an electrical short caused by the floods.

fmd

Gronk

Staff member
Was watching CH9 Brisbane on live stream. They said that they found a cow (still swimming) 12kms out to sea off Rockhampton, such is the surge of water entering the ocean.

Wivenhoe (sp) dam is now at 198% and is discharging 2 x sydney harbour each day.

Snoochies

First Grade
Skynews are reporting a restaurant just got washed down the river, it was moored.

Suncorp stadium is underwater and one of the stands are on fire due to an electrical short caused by the floods.

fmd

Just saw the video of it going under, one of the managers was watching it and the bloke filiming asked if insurance would cover it and his insurance doesn't cover floods simply because he's on the river.
Talk about watching you life go down the sink.