What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra pack won't be intimidated in 2011

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Really, I watched many dragons games this year and very rarely did they off-load.

Over the last four years, you knew exact what the strom were going to do in forwards, which was not off-loading the ball. Their forwards off-loaded the ball about 4 times more then the last four years after they lost their points this year.

Second phase is not just offloading, it is running options for the playmaker and passing to other players at the line. The Dragons at their attacking best do this.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Second phase is not just offloading, it is running options for the playmaker and passing to other players at the line. The Dragons at their attacking best do this.

Fair enough, and definitely agree it is not something we do good. But that comes down to having a good structure. One of the biggest issues I had with Anderson is it never looked like we had any structure what so ever. I think with the forwards in Smith, Horo, Fui, Shackleton, Reni, Webb and and Hindmarsh who all have good foot work and are quite mobile for big man they could either or both offer running options or passing before the line. I watched a replay of the 4 nations final from last year the other night and Hindmarsh set a very nice try with his pass game - he is very under rated. Horo I think with some experience and confidence will develop a very good running / passing game - most likely better then Mateo because he has better control and looks to make metres first not offload first then metres.

The trick is we need to set this structure up in our game something I don't think Anderson ever did.

mrpwnd

Bench
What's the point of having big, powerful bowling balls if the bloke bowling is sh*t.
If you throw them down the gutter it won't hit any pins.
Needless to say, we had the biggest balls of the lot this year and our halves threw them all down the gutter.

hindy111

Post Whore
In my opinion the fowards were one of our shining lights in 2010. We didn't loose to many forward battles

We didnt dominate team with our forwards that easily nor ddi we have an inforcer or a guy who was busting the line.Id say we matched most forward packs last year

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
[/B]

We didnt dominate team with our forwards that easily nor ddi we have an inforcer or a guy who was busting the line.Id say we matched most forward packs last year

Yep I agree - that way it is so important we get a good half combination and structure into our side. I can think of 3 to 4 games when we had enough chances to win the game, the forwards did their brillantly, however we just could get any tries as only halves were sh*t or we had not structured plays. Basically it was like "lets give it to hayne"

I think with some set plays and a better halves combinationwe we have the forwards in Smith, Horo, Fui, Webb, Reni and Shackleton who could bust the line. In regards to an inforcer, I think those days are over - you just need a good defensive structure.