What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels’ Daniel Mortimer takes aim

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://parramatta-advertiser.wherei...ry/parramatta-eels-daniel-mortimer-takes-aim/

Parramatta Eels’ Daniel Mortimer takes aim

07 Apr 10 @ 09:28am by Steven Deare

PARRAMATTA five-eighth Daniel Mortimer has taken a swipe at critics who say the team’s poor form has been due to lack of effort.

Speaking to the Advertiser mid-week, Mortimer argued he and his teammates were giving their all but hadn’t executed properly.

He took offense to critics’ attacks that came in the wake of Cronulla’s 11-0 upset of the Eels at Toyota Park. It was the Eels’ third loss from four starts a horror start for one of the pre-season favourites.

One again the team failed to hold the ball and build any pressure in attack - the same problem that has plagued them from the start.

``None of us go out there and deliberately play half-hearted,’’ Mortimer said.

``That is an absolute joke.

``There are so many little factors in the game confidence, form, the ability to play as a team and you’ve got to get them right.’’

It was the execution then, not effort, that was lacking, according to Mortimer.

``We’ve definitely got the players to do it but we’re not playing as a team,’’ he said.

``The attitude is there and the work is there, it’s just not coming off.’’

Mortimer could be a case in point.

He played against Cronulla despite not having completely recovered from the virus that saw him miss the Wests Tigers match.

``I still wasn’t playing at my full weight,’’ he said of Saturday.

``I wasn’t 100 per cent, but I wasn’t far off it.’’

The playmaker said he lost weight from a virus he contracted at a sponsor’s dinner.

``I woke up on Friday, the day of the (Wests Tigers) game, and was vomiting and had gastro and couldn’t get out of bed.

``I lost a few kilograms but I’m up to normal weight now. So I’m feeling very good now and I’m back at the same weight, so there will be no excuses on Monday.’’

Parramatta are at home to Canberra on Monday night.

Kornstar

Coach
I wish we would place a media ban on the whole squad, i am pretty sure we had the same talk last year when we were playing bad......

strider

Post Whore
I wish we would place a media ban on the whole squad, i am pretty sure we had the same talk last year when we were playing bad......
maybe they're just trying to replicate what worked last year :thumn .... right down to playing like sh*t for half a season

thedux

Juniors
They may not have been trying to play bad but they certainly weren't trying to do anything that resembled good footy...2 bombs to a bloke that couldn't catch syphilis in a brothel and Tim Smith only being asked to make 9 tackles after being out of the NRL for 2.5 years is not what you'd expect from a team "trying" to win a footy game.
I mean, isn't execution a major part of the effort anyway?? You can't tell me blokes are dropping the ball constantly because they're trying too hard so it can only be because of the opposite. Maybe I'm being too simplistic

Parra Guru

Coach
tbh Morts was playing like crap before he got sick. Probably better off keeping your mouth shut and do your talking on the field.

strider

Post Whore
They may not have been trying to play bad but they certainly weren't trying to do anything that resembled good footy...2 bombs to a bloke that couldn't catch syphilis in a brothel and Tim Smith only being asked to make 9 tackles after being out of the NRL for 2.5 years is not what you'd expect from a team "trying" to win a footy game.
I mean, isn't execution a major part of the effort anyway?? You can't tell me blokes are dropping the ball constantly because they're trying too hard so it can only be because of the opposite. Maybe I'm being too simplistic

actually I totally believe the the psychology of "trying too hard" .... our run last year began when the pressure dropped off substantially because we seemed we were done and dusted - and sh*t just happened .... gave them the confidence to kick on

Suitman

Post Whore
actually I totally believe the the psychology of "trying too hard" .... our run last year began when the pressure dropped off substantially because we seemed we were done and dusted - and sh*t just happened .... gave them the confidence to kick on

This year, I'd rather we didn't wait until we are favourites for the wooden spoon. :lol:

Suity

CrazyEel

Bench
Now personally I don't have a clue why we always start so sh*te, nor do I know how to fix it, but after reading all these player insights into the problem I am absolutely certain they don't know as much as me, and I've already said I know nuffin.

parra pete

Referee
Now personally I don't have a clue why we always start so sh*te, nor do I know how to fix it, but after reading all these player insights into the problem I am absolutely certain they don't know as much as me, and I've already said I know nuffin.

:lol:

True EEL

Bench
i like Mortimer, but seriously a few words from the late King of Rock N Roll, Mr Elvis Presley.....a little less conversation, a little more action......

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gee we talk a lot, i'm sick of hearing crap just get you're heads down boys and do the buisness.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Guyssssssssss, #-o ...... it's not like the boys are going to training to read the papers, call the journos and bitch, is it?
They've done a hard session, they've copped some criticism and obviously been interviewed afterwards.

I know the theory of 'less talk more action' is great, but gees, it's not like they are saying anything concrete... it's all just filler newspaper articles, yea??

Or is THAT being too simplistic?

CrazyEel

Bench
Guyssssssssss, #-o ...... it's not like the boys are going to training to read the papers, call the journos and bitch, is it?
They've done a hard session, they've copped some criticism and obviously been interviewed afterwards.

I know the theory of 'less talk more action' is great, but gees, it's not like they are saying anything concrete... it's all just filler newspaper articles, yea??

Or is THAT being too simplistic?
How hard is it to say "no comment"?

Latest posts